User Tag List

MBTI
    XNXJ

Default I have suddenly become a chronic procrastinator

I'm a freelance writer and I'm normally very disciplined and always meet my deadlines (I get writing assignments and sometimes I edit novels). But during my two last assignments, I have procrastinated chronically. I'm talking about missing deadlines, and having a little more than half a novel edited only 36 hours before the deadline. And in the last writing assignment (a non-fiction, an article I was supposed to do research and on and then write about later), I had a blank file 15 hours before the deadline. I'm losing sleep because I'd be up till 3 in the morning, trying to work but I'm actually getting nothing done.

What the hell is wrong with me? I was never like this before. I find myself "running off" to women's forums, doing online window shopping (which leads to actual shopping--and is bad for my wallet), reading articles unrelated to work, and watching videos on YouTube. I keep asking myself "what happened" and how did I suddenly become this way? I have no idea. Help? TIA.

Maybe you needed a break or a vacation but didn't take one?

Fatigue or illness usually precede my bouts with extreme procrastination.

Being behind schedule is a horrible feeling. It is hard to justify taking breaks because of the schedule, but we need to. But then a break could lead to procrastination and more stress. The stress causes anxiety which makes us want to procrastinate...yeah, it sucks, I've been there.

Can you drop projects without hurting your reputation or lively hood? Then focus on the ones that are really important, and catch up on those?

Unless you've had the habit for a long time, I believe procrastination is a symptom of:
    1) a lack of creative energy (which I think means you need fruitful R&R) or
    2) a lack of motivation (which I think means a change in direction) or
    3) fear or anxiety related to the work or the results of the work (which you need to identify and resolve)

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

uh oh
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Maybe you needed a break or a vacation but didn't take one?

Fatigue or illness usually precede my bouts with extreme procrastination.

Being behind schedule is a horrible feeling. It is hard to justify taking breaks because of the schedule, but we need to. But then a break could lead to procrastination and more stress. The stress causes anxiety which makes us want to procrastinate...yeah, it sucks, I've been there.

Can you drop projects without hurting your reputation or lively hood? Then focus on the ones that are really important, and catch up on those?

Unless you've had the habit for a long time, I believe procrastination is a symptom of:
    1) a lack of creative energy (which I think means you need fruitful R&R) or
    2) a lack of motivation (which I think means a change in direction) or
    3) fear or anxiety related to the work or the results of the work (which you need to identify and resolve)
    I totally agree with this. What is bothering you? Sometimes it's not a conscious thing. Sometimes you just need to not work in order to work again
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Permabanned

I tend to procrastinate when I know I can get away with it.

eh, i'm a habitual procrastinator and boy is it a pain. maybe i will suddenly wake up one day and become disciplined! *gets all excited* ...yeah, right.

anyway, i'm wondering was there something about one of these recent assignments that was really anxiety-provoking for you? fear or success or failure maybe? or, did something stressful happen in your life at this time? it could be something in a relationship or other non-work area of your life and is manifesting itself in procrastination maybe. whatever it is i hope you can get back on track.