• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I have suddenly become a chronic procrastinator

HisGirl

MBTI Type
XNXJ
I'm a freelance writer and I'm normally very disciplined and always meet my deadlines (I get writing assignments and sometimes I edit novels). But during my two last assignments, I have procrastinated chronically. I'm talking about missing deadlines, and having a little more than half a novel edited only 36 hours before the deadline. And in the last writing assignment (a non-fiction, an article I was supposed to do research and on and then write about later), I had a blank file 15 hours before the deadline. I'm losing sleep because I'd be up till 3 in the morning, trying to work but I'm actually getting nothing done.

What the hell is wrong with me? I was never like this before. I find myself "running off" to women's forums, doing online window shopping (which leads to actual shopping--and is bad for my wallet), reading articles unrelated to work, and watching videos on YouTube. I keep asking myself "what happened" and how did I suddenly become this way? I have no idea. Help? TIA.

ygolo

My termites win
Maybe you needed a break or a vacation but didn't take one?

Fatigue or illness usually precede my bouts with extreme procrastination.

Being behind schedule is a horrible feeling. It is hard to justify taking breaks because of the schedule, but we need to. But then a break could lead to procrastination and more stress. The stress causes anxiety which makes us want to procrastinate...yeah, it sucks, I've been there.

Can you drop projects without hurting your reputation or lively hood? Then focus on the ones that are really important, and catch up on those?

Unless you've had the habit for a long time, I believe procrastination is a symptom of:
1) a lack of creative energy (which I think means you need fruitful R&R) or
2) a lack of motivation (which I think means a change in direction) or
3) fear or anxiety related to the work or the results of the work (which you need to identify and resolve)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe you needed a break or a vacation but didn't take one?

Fatigue or illness usually precede my bouts with extreme procrastination.

Being behind schedule is a horrible feeling. It is hard to justify taking breaks because of the schedule, but we need to. But then a break could lead to procrastination and more stress. The stress causes anxiety which makes us want to procrastinate...yeah, it sucks, I've been there.

Can you drop projects without hurting your reputation or lively hood? Then focus on the ones that are really important, and catch up on those?

Unless you've had the habit for a long time, I believe procrastination is a symptom of:
1) a lack of creative energy (which I think means you need fruitful R&R) or
2) a lack of motivation (which I think means a change in direction) or
3) fear or anxiety related to the work or the results of the work (which you need to identify and resolve)

I totally agree with this. What is bothering you? Sometimes it's not a conscious thing. Sometimes you just need to not work in order to work again :blush:

xisnotx

Permabanned
I tend to procrastinate when I know I can get away with it.

wildflower

eh, i'm a habitual procrastinator and boy is it a pain. maybe i will suddenly wake up one day and become disciplined! *gets all excited* ...yeah, right. ;)

anyway, i'm wondering was there something about one of these recent assignments that was really anxiety-provoking for you? fear or success or failure maybe? or, did something stressful happen in your life at this time? it could be something in a relationship or other non-work area of your life and is manifesting itself in procrastination maybe. whatever it is i hope you can get back on track.