• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts on the so called 'Indigo children'.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Who determines who is "indigo"? Do they actually ask children these questions or is it up to teachers or what? I was always so right brained that some teachers thought I was some gifted kid who needed to be moved forward and put into advanced subjects, while others thought I didn't get it and needed to be held back. There were few that were in between on the subject. They could just call me a "right brained" kid. There are thousands of kids and thousands of gifts to go with them. You could have an indigo kid in there who is hard of hearing or has dyslexia.. WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!!!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This shit makes me sick. It's basically a self-congratulatory checklist of subjective traits that everyone's going to think applies to them. And then they get rewarded with a "special" title that makes them think they're God's gift to earth, and that people don't dislike them because the unwashed masses are "unevolved" - when in reality, it's because they're pretentious asshats.

sheeple.png

There's nothing wrong with thinking you're special. There is something wrong with thinking you're superior to others. ;)

That seriously made me laugh! The purest of indigos! XD

Exactly! In my light research into indigos, a lot of it was about various schemes devised to fleece as many as possible. Rather sad actually. I understand the appeal in people wanting to find comfort in parapsychological science, but wow, seeing how many scam stories there were, it was certainly disheartening.

I think it's horse-donkey-croccodile shit

It's a label used by parents who cannot accept that their children have faults.

Either that or they're desperate for attention and use their children as sock puppets.
Let me just say I strongly agree with these statements.
The thing is that everything you are saying can be applied when flipped to many other gifted children, ones that you consider "really gifted".
For example the exceptional maths pupil who has social difficulties...shall we take them to social classes because it is a fault or negative trait of theirs?
You say that like it's a bad thing. That sounds like a fantastic idea - social skills are critical for pretty much any career you can imagine, as well as a happy life outside of a career....improving weak spots is a much wiser idea than celebrating real, harmful weaknesses as being "different". Not to be confused with being mean, at all, but some amount of realism is necessary for a good outcome in the long run...

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let me just say I strongly agree with these statements.

You say that like it's a bad thing. That sounds like a fantastic idea - social skills are critical for pretty much any career you can imagine, as well as a happy life outside of a career....improving weak spots is a much wiser idea than celebrating real, harmful weaknesses as being "different". Not to be confused with being mean, at all, but some amount of realism is necessary for a good outcome in the long run...

Realism yes, unhealthy and negative critisism no.
I know which i have seen more of in this thread.
My point would be to concentrate on the area's that children excel in.
Yes you may work on the areas they have difficulty with too but to put too much focus on these areas of difficulty is a recipie for disaster.
And how silly of you to think that social skills are "critical" for pretty much any career you can imagine.
We are in the age of da internetz.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Realism yes, unhealthy and negative critisism no.
I know which i have seen more of in this thread.
My point would be to concentrate on the area's that children excel in.
Yes you may work on the areas they have difficulty with too but to put too much focus on these areas of difficulty is a recipie for disaster.
I agree with this. You just have to find a good balance.
And how silly of you to think that social skills are "critical" for pretty much any career you can imagine.
We are in the age of da internetz.
lol... I suppose there are a few jobs where you can earn money over the internet, but they are few and far between. In the real world, even for a job where you never interact with other humans (rare enough), you will still have to pass an interview where most interviewers still care about rudimentary social skills. Even just communicating your own brilliance to an interviewer falls under "social skills". So yes, social skills are still critical despite the age of the internets.

I didn't think it was that hard to follow. :huh:
I have no idea what you are talking about. :huh:

G

Ginkgo

The idea of the Indigo children is a New Age one; Indigo children are thought to be bringers of the New Age and Higher Consciousness. Imagine... it's not a far cry from a bunch of little Jesus's running around. I think these are the children Smileyman and I are referring to. Hippy Dippy parents label them as such, which resembles a twisted form of the same drive a parent might have to lift their children up to "Honor Roll" student.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How many of you have kids?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thankfully, I think very few of us. Not that I think any of us would necessarily be terrible parents...I just hate the little bastards.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The idea of the Indigo children is a New Age one; Indigo children are thought to be bringers of the New Age and Higher Consciousness. Imagine... it's not a far cry from a bunch of little Jesus's running around. I think these are the children Smileyman and I are referring to. Hippy Dippy parents label them as such, which resembles a twisted form of the same drive a parent might have to lift their children up to "Honor Roll" student.
Sure....how on earth does that mean that the harbingers of the New Age would agree that the idea of Indigo children is (insert negative opinions here)??

G

Ginkgo

Sure....how on earth does that mean that the harbingers of the New Age would agree that the idea of Indigo children is (insert negative opinions here)??

I was referring to your comment, not the comment you were responding to.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I SO CONFUSED. *backs away from the thread slowly*

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with this. You just have to find a good balance.

lol... I suppose there are a few jobs where you can earn money over the internet, but they are few and far between. In the real world, even for a job where you never interact with other humans (rare enough), you will still have to pass an interview where most interviewers still care about rudimentary social skills. Even just communicating your own brilliance to an interviewer falls under "social skills". So yes, social skills are still critical despite the age of the internets.

But seriously, you just missed out this huge section of employment called self employment and the rising trend of online home businesses.

Approx 10 million self employed in the states. ..and rising (see link).
I believe a large portion would be working online from home.
http://www.impactlab.net/2009/08/04/boss-nation-growing-number-of-self-employed-in-us/

A

Anew Leaf

But seriously, you just missed out this huge section of employment called self employment and the rising trend of online home businesses.

http://www.impactlab.net/2009/08/04/boss-nation-growing-number-of-self-employed-in-us/

You can't do business in a vaccuum. At some point you have to interact with others and that requires some use of social skills. Having a good relationship with suppliers and vendors and customers, etc, helps you out greatly by getting special discounts, better service, and help when you need it.

Unless you are House or that genius crazy guy in "A Beautiful Mind"... you need to employ some variety of social skills in order to get around in this world.

Edit: I am self-employed running my own online/brickmortar store... and I had to whip up some social skills in a hurry because I was not social or graceful in any way interacting with other people. What [MENTION=206]Randomnity[/MENTION] says about needing social skills MORE is very, very true. There are less people to hide behind and fake it than I would have were I to be involved in a large corporation.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What? Most (all?) self-employed people still have to interact with other human beings. A close friend runs his own business and works from home...social skills are way MORE important in that line of work than they are for some random office job....because building a customer base is essentially networking over and over again. Online or not (unless you only consider "in person" to count as "social skills"...I don't). Even if you're just freelancing, social skills are still super important for again, building a customer base. If you're a jerk, you'll scare people away and worse, they'll tell their friends not to use your business.

But sure, there are a handful of "earn money from home online" jobs around....in a vast ocean of scams...but sure, a few legit ones exist. And yeah, I suppose a very few people might be able to eke out a very limited income from selling crafts or whatnot online....but way more people will try that and fail horribly. I'm not sure why you would think "a large portion" of self-employed people would work exclusively online. From home, sure, but that doesn't exclude interaction with customers at all!

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How many of you have kids?
I have children. I have two of them. Interestingly i have a child with autism who i do not believe to be a "crystal" child.
This does not mean i do not believe they exist as it's also not mutually exclusive.
I find the possible link interesting all the same.
I do not have a child with adhd.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mmm.

I came across an Indigo Children book while browsing in a bookstore quite some time ago. It was just too new-agey and "I Am Special" for me to take it seriously.

However, as a parent of a child with dyslexia and ADD inattentive type and another with Asperger and auditory processing disorders, I can see why a parent or labeled individual might come up with this concept. It might be a way of dispelling a great deal of negativity that comes with having such disorders?

Or to take it further, someone who has suffered a great deal with not being able to fit in mainstream society or even their own family. Turning, "I am a misfit" to "I am marginalized because I am special/different/unique."

I don't think that special labels are needed to raise like this the right way. Some kids have very sensitive natures. They will need very different treatment from their tough-minded and thick-skinned sibling(s).