• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts on the so called 'Indigo children'.

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
i don't see why these people cannot appreciate their children without stamping them first with a label such as this so they can feel "special" about them. as if one's child were not special by definition. it is sickening.

(the label itself is new age at its worst - vague, artificial and saccharine-sweet, in a manner that is bound to give one indigestion)

what disturbs me most, i guess, is the suggestion that only indigo or crystal children should be treated as normal human beings. it is never voiced, of course, but it is there. books on the subject abound with statements like "you cannot just tell an indigo child what to do without explaining why", "their wishes and feelings must be taken into account", "they must be allowed to make their own decisions", "they already have a well-developed personality that ought to be respected", "you can be there for them and help them grow, but not force them to do what you want" and so forth. one would think this was rather self-evident in the case of any child, but apparently it is not, not for the authors of those books. it raises a lot of questions: what would these individuals consider a common and acceptable way of bringing up an "ordinary" child, whatever that word is supposed to mean? since when does one have to be "indigo" or "crystal" or some other fancy label to be treated as a person? and where does that leave other children, who obviously do not deserve this and aren't persons in the full sense of the word? finally, does one's personhood depend on special gifts or other qualities one has, rather than on the sheer fact that one is there?

this is upsetting just to think about.

My guess: It's a concept that parents made up who are finally seeing the good in the "weirdness" of their children. Some of them will never "just understand" but can still make it into something way more complicated and supernatural than it needs to be :tongue:

i don't see that much of a difference. the exotification is still there. one can demonize somebody one cannot understand, or idealize them; either way, one fails to see them for who they really are.

these are two sides of the same (unhealthy) coin.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not an indigo by that test by a long shot, i agreed with 14 or 15 of the questions/statements.
I see nothing wrong the idea though and i don't get why some people in this thread are being such arses about it.
To give credit to children who have often been seen in a negative light and conseqently suffered as a result, marginalised and ridiculed. Does it bother you all so much that they should be celebrated, get a fucking life.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no i don't think indigo children exist, i think it's a scam. great that someone's being celebrated for being special and their gifts, but indigo children are bull hokey, i bet you'd find "indigo children" in the 1890s

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
To give credit to children who have often been seen in a negative light and conseqently suffered as a result, marginalised and ridiculed. Does it bother you all so much that they should be celebrated, get a fucking life.

any child should be celebrated. full stop.

that's the whole point. this isn't about celebrating a child's personality or the talents he or she has. one doesn't need labels to do so. this is about turning the child into something other than what they are, in one's imagination, and then celebrating t h a t. i experienced this first hand and it was not nice. not something i am going to do to my own children, if i ever have any.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
this is one of those things, where everyone wants to believe their little shi* is special and by extension they are. ack

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
any child should be celebrated. full stop.

that's the whole point. this isn't about celebrating a child's personality or the talents he or she has. one doesn't need labels to do so. this is about turning the child into something other than what they are, in one's imagination, and then celebrating t h a t. i experienced this first hand and it was not nice. not something i am going to do to my own children, if i ever have any.

Ok so lets break this down. If you had a child with an amazing talent for advanced maths would you accept them going into a class for " mathmatically gifted" children?
I think you probably would.
So you would have all children labelled as special (individual) but not celebrate any of the things that made them specifically special. I call bullshit.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this is one of those things, where everyone wants to believe their little shi* is special and by extension they are. ack

So all children are little shits then in your view? Or just Indigo children?
Either way your full of crap.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think all children should be viewed as gifted and special. The challenge is finding what makes them so.

Labeling some "gifted and talented" or indigo or whatever necessarily means the others get labeled as ordinary or average or worse. How does that make the excluded ones feel?

I get the impetus, but I think it's a slippery slope when you cull out some as more 'special' than others, no matter what the diagnostic criteria might be. Especially when it comes to children and their developing psyches and ego.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Too subjective. Anyone can be an indigo child if they apply certain circumstances... it's like when you google your health problem and the thing is like

"do you have fatigue, worry, dry skin, and a headache?" (Lists 121 diagnoses so you can pick your own disease.)

I took it for fun and lost count, but I think I got about 15. I don't understand. Everyone knows there's something wrong with the world yet doesn't know what to do about it. Everyone is empathic but can get annoyed with stupidity.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Too subjective. Anyone can be an indigo child if they apply certain circumstances... it's like when you google your health problem and the thing is like

"do you have fatigue, worry, dry skin, and a headache?" (Lists 121 diagnoses so you can pick your own disease.)

I took it for fun and lost count, but I think I got about 15. I don't understand. Everyone knows there's something wrong with the world yet doesn't know what to do about it. Everyone is empathic but can get annoyed with stupidity.
yes it worse when googling mental disorders

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
what disturbs me most, i guess, is the suggestion that only indigo or crystal children should be treated as normal human beings. it is never voiced, of course, but it is there. books on the subject abound with statements like "you cannot just tell an indigo child what to do without explaining why", "their wishes and feelings must be taken into account", "they must be allowed to make their own decisions", "they already have a well-developed personality that ought to be respected", "you can be there for them and help them grow, but not force them to do what you want" and so forth. one would think this was rather self-evident in the case of any child, but apparently it is not, not for the authors of those books. it raises a lot of questions: what would these individuals consider a common and acceptable way of bringing up an "ordinary" child, whatever that word is supposed to mean? since when does one have to be "indigo" or "crystal" or some other fancy label to be treated as a person? and where does that leave other children, who obviously do not deserve this and aren't persons in the full sense of the word? finally, does one's personhood depend on special gifts or other qualities one has, rather than on the sheer fact that one is there?

this is upsetting just to think about.

+10000

It's almost like children have become status symbols... :/

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sheeple.png

There's nothing wrong with thinking you're special. There is something wrong with thinking you're superior to others. ;)

love this!!

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
Ok so lets break this down. If you had a child with an amazing talent for advanced maths would you accept them going into a class for " mathmatically gifted" children?
I think you probably would.
So you would have all children labelled as special (individual) but not celebrate any of the things that made them specifically special. I call bullshit.

this is very different. the talent for mathematics is a real ability, which manifests in the way one can solve math problems. and the class is going to be a real asset in that it is going to help them do this even better, and possibly serve as a starting point for a (very real) career in mathematics or one of the related areas.

what exactly is "indigo"? it is nothing more than a word. and one that is so vague it can be filled with whatever meaning one wants to see there. it's like an open semantic slot. which leaves one free to over-idealize, to imagine one's child as having more gifts than they do, to turn a blind eye to faults of theirs which one doesn't want to see/wants to excuse, and to surround them with this overall "supernatural" (angelic, otherworldly, superior-to-others etc.) aura, which can be dangerous. fortunately, not everyone does this - but when it does happen, it can lead, at best, to bitter disillusionment when one discovers that one's child is too "ordinary", and not what one had thought them to be, and at worst, it can break the child's life.

I think all children should be viewed as gifted and special. The challenge is finding what makes them so.

Labeling some "gifted and talented" or indigo or whatever necessarily means the others get labeled as ordinary or average or worse. How does that make the excluded ones feel?

I get the impetus, but I think it's a slippery slope when you cull out some as more 'special' than others, no matter what the diagnostic criteria might be. Especially when it comes to children and their developing psyches and ego.

i couldn't have said it any better.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Children need to learn how to lose. They need to learn how to work their hardest and still come in 2nd or last, it doesn't matter as long as they learn. This societal mantra of "everyone gets a trophy" is one of the most damaging things we are doing to future generations. The little curtain climbers grow up to be squatters on Wall Street whining about why the good jobs won't look at them with their degree in comparative basket-weaving from xyU and floor-sweeper at starbucks resume. This habit of political correctness, no hurt-feelings, and no one allowed to feel like a loser is a lie, it is not reality and it does not prepare our children for reality and for adolescence and adulthood. Unfortunately, the same people to take up and champion this liberal cause in the name of social justice are the ones who then complain about how unfair and lopsided the power structure and market is the closer you get to the top. They defend a system that was designed to broaden the gap between the haves and have nots, and secure power for the elites and their spawn.
Without the important lessons being learned early you create legions of underprepared, lazy, apathetic and emotionally stunted teens and adults who do not know how to integrate or succeed but still expect all the benefits of those connections. It undercuts the future strength of this nation as well as increases the risk of overwhelmed and alienated youth doing stupid things like shooting up schools, etc.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Children need to learn how to lose. They need to learn how to work their hardest and still come in 2nd or last, it doesn't matter as long as they learn. This societal mantra of "everyone gets a trophy" is one of the most damaging things we are doing to future generations. The little curtain climbers grow up to be squatters on Wall Street whining about why the good jobs won't look at them with their degree in comparative basket-weaving from xyU and floor-sweeper at starbucks resume. This habit of political correctness, no hurt-feelings, and no one allowed to feel like a loser is a lie, it is not reality and it does not prepare our children for reality and for adolescence and adulthood. Unfortunately, the same people to take up and champion this liberal cause in the name of social justice are the ones who then complain about how unfair and lopsided the power structure and market is the closer you get to the top. They defend a system that was designed to broaden the gap between the haves and have nots, and secure power for the elites and their spawn.
Without the important lessons being learned early you create legions of underprepared, lazy, apathetic and emotionally stunted teens and adults who do not know how to integrate or succeed but still expect all the benefits of those connections. It undercuts the future strength of this nation as well as increases the risk of overwhelmed and alienated youth doing stupid things like shooting up schools, etc.

Why do you have to feel like a loser if you are a floor-sweeper?

It sounds like you are espousing the very social dichotomy you are railing against.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you have to feel like a loser if you are a floor-sweeper?

It sounds like you are espousing the very social dichotomy you are railing against.

You misunderstand. I was using that as an example of a person without the qualifications for the jobs and pay that they would like. Nothing wrong with floor sweepers. I spent many years working minimum wage doing jobs like that. But I did not go around whining about how nobody was giving me what I wanted. If somebody is a barista, etc. and they enjoy it great if they don't enjoy it at least they have employment.

F

FigerPuppet

It's a label used by parents who cannot accept that their children have faults.