Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

How many of you have kids?

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Thankfully, I think very few of us. Not that I think any of us would necessarily be terrible parents...I just hate the little bastards.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The idea of the Indigo children is a New Age one; Indigo children are thought to be bringers of the New Age and Higher Consciousness. Imagine... it's not a far cry from a bunch of little Jesus's running around. I think these are the children Smileyman and I are referring to. Hippy Dippy parents label them as such, which resembles a twisted form of the same drive a parent might have to lift their children up to "Honor Roll" student.
    Sure....how on earth does that mean that the harbingers of the New Age would agree that the idea of Indigo children is (insert negative opinions here)??
    -end of thread-

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Sure....how on earth does that mean that the harbingers of the New Age would agree that the idea of Indigo children is (insert negative opinions here)??
    I was referring to your comment, not the comment you were responding to.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I SO CONFUSED. *backs away from the thread slowly*
    -end of thread-

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I agree with this. You just have to find a good balance.

lol... I suppose there are a few jobs where you can earn money over the internet, but they are few and far between. In the real world, even for a job where you never interact with other humans (rare enough), you will still have to pass an interview where most interviewers still care about rudimentary social skills. Even just communicating your own brilliance to an interviewer falls under "social skills". So yes, social skills are still critical despite the age of the internets.
    But seriously, you just missed out this huge section of employment called self employment and the rising trend of online home businesses.

Approx 10 million self employed in the states. ..and rising (see link).
    I believe a large portion would be working online from home.
    http://www.impactlab.net/2009/08/04/...mployed-in-us/
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    But seriously, you just missed out this huge section of employment called self employment and the rising trend of online home businesses.

You can't do business in a vaccuum. At some point you have to interact with others and that requires some use of social skills. Having a good relationship with suppliers and vendors and customers, etc, helps you out greatly by getting special discounts, better service, and help when you need it.

Unless you are House or that genius crazy guy in "A Beautiful Mind"... you need to employ some variety of social skills in order to get around in this world.

Edit: I am self-employed running my own online/brickmortar store... and I had to whip up some social skills in a hurry because I was not social or graceful in any way interacting with other people. What @Randomnity says about needing social skills MORE is very, very true. There are less people to hide behind and fake it than I would have were I to be involved in a large corporation.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post

What? Most (all?) self-employed people still have to interact with other human beings. A close friend runs his own business and works from home...social skills are way MORE important in that line of work than they are for some random office job....because building a customer base is essentially networking over and over again. Online or not (unless you only consider "in person" to count as "social skills"...I don't). Even if you're just freelancing, social skills are still super important for again, building a customer base. If you're a jerk, you'll scare people away and worse, they'll tell their friends not to use your business.

But sure, there are a handful of "earn money from home online" jobs around....in a vast ocean of scams...but sure, a few legit ones exist. And yeah, I suppose a very few people might be able to eke out a very limited income from selling crafts or whatnot online....but way more people will try that and fail horribly. I'm not sure why you would think "a large portion" of self-employed people would work exclusively online. From home, sure, but that doesn't exclude interaction with customers at all!
    -end of thread-

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    How many of you have kids?
    I have children. I have two of them. Interestingly i have a child with autism who i do not believe to be a "crystal" child.
    This does not mean i do not believe they exist as it's also not mutually exclusive.
    I find the possible link interesting all the same.
    I do not have a child with adhd.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Mmm.

I came across an Indigo Children book while browsing in a bookstore quite some time ago. It was just too new-agey and "I Am Special" for me to take it seriously.

However, as a parent of a child with dyslexia and ADD inattentive type and another with Asperger and auditory processing disorders, I can see why a parent or labeled individual might come up with this concept. It might be a way of dispelling a great deal of negativity that comes with having such disorders?

Or to take it further, someone who has suffered a great deal with not being able to fit in mainstream society or even their own family. Turning, "I am a misfit" to "I am marginalized because I am special/different/unique."

I don't think that special labels are needed to raise like this the right way. Some kids have very sensitive natures. They will need very different treatment from their tough-minded and thick-skinned sibling(s).