User Tag List

First 12345 Last

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

i don't see why these people cannot appreciate their children without stamping them first with a label such as this so they can feel "special" about them. as if one's child were not special by definition. it is sickening.

(the label itself is new age at its worst - vague, artificial and saccharine-sweet, in a manner that is bound to give one indigestion)

what disturbs me most, i guess, is the suggestion that only indigo or crystal children should be treated as normal human beings. it is never voiced, of course, but it is there. books on the subject abound with statements like "you cannot just tell an indigo child what to do without explaining why", "their wishes and feelings must be taken into account", "they must be allowed to make their own decisions", "they already have a well-developed personality that ought to be respected", "you can be there for them and help them grow, but not force them to do what you want" and so forth. one would think this was rather self-evident in the case of any child, but apparently it is not, not for the authors of those books. it raises a lot of questions: what would these individuals consider a common and acceptable way of bringing up an "ordinary" child, whatever that word is supposed to mean? since when does one have to be "indigo" or "crystal" or some other fancy label to be treated as a person? and where does that leave other children, who obviously do not deserve this and aren't persons in the full sense of the word? finally, does one's personhood depend on special gifts or other qualities one has, rather than on the sheer fact that one is there?

this is upsetting just to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    My guess: It's a concept that parents made up who are finally seeing the good in the "weirdness" of their children. Some of them will never "just understand" but can still make it into something way more complicated and supernatural than it needs to be
    i don't see that much of a difference. the exotification is still there. one can demonize somebody one cannot understand, or idealize them; either way, one fails to see them for who they really are.

these are two sides of the same (unhealthy) coin.
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm not an indigo by that test by a long shot, i agreed with 14 or 15 of the questions/statements.
    I see nothing wrong the idea though and i don't get why some people in this thread are being such arses about it.
    To give credit to children who have often been seen in a negative light and conseqently suffered as a result, marginalised and ridiculed. Does it bother you all so much that they should be celebrated, get a fucking life.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    yupp

no i don't think indigo children exist, i think it's a scam. great that someone's being celebrated for being special and their gifts, but indigo children are bull hokey, i bet you'd find "indigo children" in the 1890s
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    To give credit to children who have often been seen in a negative light and conseqently suffered as a result, marginalised and ridiculed. Does it bother you all so much that they should be celebrated, get a fucking life.
    any child should be celebrated. full stop.

that's the whole point. this isn't about celebrating a child's personality or the talents he or she has. one doesn't need labels to do so. this is about turning the child into something other than what they are, in one's imagination, and then celebrating t h a t. i experienced this first hand and it was not nice. not something i am going to do to my own children, if i ever have any.
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

this is one of those things, where everyone wants to believe their little shi* is special and by extension they are. ack
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by bluestripes View Post
    any child should be celebrated. full stop.

that's the whole point. this isn't about celebrating a child's personality or the talents he or she has. one doesn't need labels to do so. this is about turning the child into something other than what they are, in one's imagination, and then celebrating t h a t. i experienced this first hand and it was not nice. not something i am going to do to my own children, if i ever have any.
    Ok so lets break this down. If you had a child with an amazing talent for advanced maths would you accept them going into a class for " mathmatically gifted" children?
    I think you probably would.
    So you would have all children labelled as special (individual) but not celebrate any of the things that made them specifically special. I call bullshit.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    this is one of those things, where everyone wants to believe their little shi* is special and by extension they are. ack
    So all children are little shits then in your view? Or just Indigo children?
    Either way your full of crap.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I think all children should be viewed as gifted and special. The challenge is finding what makes them so.

Labeling some "gifted and talented" or indigo or whatever necessarily means the others get labeled as ordinary or average or worse. How does that make the excluded ones feel?

I get the impetus, but I think it's a slippery slope when you cull out some as more 'special' than others, no matter what the diagnostic criteria might be. Especially when it comes to children and their developing psyches and ego.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Too subjective. Anyone can be an indigo child if they apply certain circumstances... it's like when you google your health problem and the thing is like

"do you have fatigue, worry, dry skin, and a headache?" (Lists 121 diagnoses so you can pick your own disease.)

I took it for fun and lost count, but I think I got about 15. I don't understand. Everyone knows there's something wrong with the world yet doesn't know what to do about it. Everyone is empathic but can get annoyed with stupidity.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Too subjective. Anyone can be an indigo child if they apply certain circumstances... it's like when you google your health problem and the thing is like

"do you have fatigue, worry, dry skin, and a headache?" (Lists 121 diagnoses so you can pick your own disease.)

I took it for fun and lost count, but I think I got about 15. I don't understand. Everyone knows there's something wrong with the world yet doesn't know what to do about it. Everyone is empathic but can get annoyed with stupidity.
    yes it worse when googling mental disorders
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so