User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what have you learned about yourself?

Default So what have you learned about yourself?

So you've been on this site for god-knows how long - what have you learned about yourself in the process?

Personally, I've learned how utterly self-neglecting I've truly been my whole life - on an almost fundamental level. It's incredible how much more comfortable I was withdrawing and hiding than truly asserting my own presence and taking responsibility for my own happiness. That I was content to live with so little for so long is kind of incredible. I might as well have not existed.

I felt so threatened by what people expected of me that I preferred to not even get involved. "God forbid I speak up and make my presence known, who knows what might happen?" That I made things worse with silly excuses (including typology) only exacerbates the incredulity.

While I don't think I'm out of the hole I dug for myself yet, I now feel more able and present and connected than I have in a very long time. And all it took was a bit of belligerence and positive action on my part.

What about you guys?

I've learned a hell of a lot of people project to an insane level, they'll give you a run down on what they consider your type to be without considering why or what is says about them, although the greater lesson has been to not take them seriously.

I feel like I haven't learned a thing. I know less about myself than when I first started, if that's even possible. Maybe it's that I've eliminated some misconceptions I had about myself without actually learning anything new to replace those. Maybe it's that I'm actually changing a lot so that what used to be true about me is no longer true. It feels like I'm losing my identity.

And I still can't figure out my type. I've been changing types over and over again since I came here, and I can't seem to settle. Now I have no idea about my mbti type, and I'm still not entirely sure about my enneatype either.

I need to assert myself, not worry too much about what others think of me, things will usually turn out....

Well, I haven't been here long in comparison to most. But I've found it interesting how research into typology has given me another method by which I can see the puzzle pieces of myself and others fall into place. But also, I do wish more people more people knew about typology near to the degree expressed here. It saves a good bit of time in reading people and understanding particular limitations (in the most general sense).
    INFJ; 9w1 so/sp/sx; EII; RCOAI; Neutral Good

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    What about you guys?
    I have learnt that I am dissociated. I am dissociated into my controlling part and my creative part.

My creative part hates my controlling part and wants to kill him, while my controlling part overrides my creative part.

I have a sad relationship with myself, and I have identified first with my controlling part, then with my creative part.

And now I am starting to hold both in my warm hands, together.

Permabanned Array

I've learnt that trying to limit yourself to eight functions, and expecting yourself to be happy as a result, is borderline insane.
    I've also learnt that some of the smartest people I've ever interacted with spend a significant amount of time thinking of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I've learnt that trying to limit yourself to eight functions, and expecting yourself to be happy as a result, is borderline insane.

I learned from this site that "analysis paralysis" because I frankly dont think people progress more than they regress by talking about MBTI too much. And I learned that they become adictive to analysing so they dont even notice that is not beneficial. I learned I should avoid that completely.

I've learned that I seem to be a lot more affectionate than I formerly believed myself to be, for one...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Lay the coin on my tongue Array SilkRoad's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

I have a better understanding of why there are so many different communication problems between different types - and just different PEOPLE - because everyone can see things so differently.

I've understood that at different times and in different circumstances I can be either too unselfish, or too unforgiving. I'm working on being a bit more selfish. It's going reasonably well. I'm not sure about the unforgiving part. I don't really want to relax that (although in a way I feel I should), because when I have sometimes tried to be forgiving against my better judgment it's resulted in worse hurt.

I've realised that I'm terrified of getting hurt.

I've realised that there are people who think/feel more like me than I would ever have believed possible. I've also realised that INFJs are indeed unique and unusual people, but that it's not all good. (It's not all bad, either).
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx