User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    For those of you who consider yourselves to be suspicious, wary of people, or simply not trusting, what exactly do you mean, and why are you that way? Do you fear people will hurt you or say mean things about you behind your back? Do you believe people have bad intentions or only care about themselves? Or is it something else?
    Say mean things? I couldn't give less of a shit what they say good or bad. People DO only care about themselves when it comes down to it. What would make anyone think human nature is any different?

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post

Why don't I trust people? Because people are unworthy of trust until it is earned on a case-by-case basis
    This. When I hear - I trust people until they give me a reason not to trust...I just shake my head. I am totally equal opportunity when it comes to not trusting or being suspicious of people. You get the same as the next guy so don't take it personally.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

Humans, for the most part, cannot generally be trusted. Though, those you are in relationships with, close friends, and family, SHOULD be trustworthy. I understand not being able to trust family, but those you date/marry and close friends should be trustworthy. And depending on your job, coworkers.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack427 View Post
    Humans, for the most part, cannot generally be trusted. Though, those you are in relationships with, close friends, and family, SHOULD be trustworthy. I understand not being able to trust family, but those you date/marry and close friends should be trustworthy. And depending on your job, coworkers.
    Theyshould be trustworthy? Why moreso than anyone else? Because you're friends with them?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Theyshould be trustworthy? Why moreso than anyone else? Because you're friends with them?
    Notice I said close friends. Why be close friends with people you can't trust?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack427 View Post
    Notice I said close friends. Why be close friends with people you can't trust?
    Because you trust them initially and then they change.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Because you trust them initially and then they change.
    I wasn't even talking about people changing. Of course you don't trust people if they change for the worst.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think that in my head I've become fairly suspicious and not very trusting, but in real life I probably behave - if anything - in a slightly too trusting manner, still. I feel a bit caught. It sometimes means that I probably behave more nicely to people than I'm actually feeling toward them, which in some ways may be necessary, but in some ways seems a bit dishonest and not very good.

I just tend to feel that many (most?) people are basically unreliable and lack self-awareness, and therefore unlikely to act in everyone's best interests. And people seem to be very selfish these days, too. I think society is conditioning us in that direction. Certainly I've realised lately that sometimes I actually need to be a bit more selfish and self-protective - but you can do that and still be a basically unselfish person. I don't always succeed but I more or less work in that direction. But it seems as though "unselfish" is such a foreign concept to a lot of people that they will look at you bug-eyed if you raise it. And I don't really trust people like that.

I think people will do what feels good in the moment, in many cases, and they won't think through the effect that it has on others. I don't see that as trustworthy. They may not mean to hurt me, but I end up getting hurt anyway (especially because, apparently, I look like a doormat and I look like I don't have any feelings of my own.) So if you withhold some trust you're less likely to end up in such situations.

I have somewhat conflicting views on this that I find hard to reconcile, honestly.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It's not binary, trustable or untrustable. I'd never trust my little brother to do anything in any time critical fashion, but I'd trust him to keep an eye on my kids. If we're talking about some really grand version of trust, if we're expecting perfection, then nobody is worthy of trust.

Glycerine

basically I have residual trust issues from childhood. That being said, I see life as a Machiavellian social chess game.

Ni is a strange beast. It sniffs patterns out and can predict if someone will turn on you or not so I have layers of trust where in each layer, there are vulnerabilities exposed. It's almost like throwing out deliberate bait to see if people bite. If they bite, they're kept to the furthest layer of trust. If they don't bite over a period of time, they're allowed into the next layer. And on.

The funny part is that when it comes to vulnerabilities that can truly hurt me, no one gets into my core. That's just for me, myself and I.