User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Respect

Respect

I was surprised to find that the father of the nice Japanese girl in my class spoke to her in an abusive, disrespectful and bad way.

And I was even more surprised to discover that she always spoke to her father with respect, even when he spoke badly to her.

So over coffee in the Refectory one day I broached the matter to her. I asked her, quite simply, why she spoke so respectfully to her father when he spoke so disrespectfully to her?

And without pausing, she said she was practising. She was practising speaking with respect to her father for the time she would meet a man she did respect.

And of course her answer earned my respect.

But I didn't know whether she was speaking to me out of respect or whether she was just practising.

So when you address me here, are you speaking to me out of respect, or are you just practising for the time you meet someone you do respect?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

Interesting... I think I always treat everyone with respect when I talk to them, though I can be a little cold at times. I think she did give you respect when you talked to her.

Smile If you please.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceskye View Post
    Interesting... I think I always treat everyone with respect when I talk to them, though I can be a little cold at times. I think she did give you respect when you talked to her.
    Well, the Rockies are a little cold at times. And at other times they are like large musical notes. But I would like you to tell me what it is like to compose. Do imagine yourself composing and tell me just what it is like. Take me, Spaceskye, on a composing trip, take me on composing trip with you - if you please.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, the Rockies are a little cold at times. And at other times they are like large musical notes. But I would like you to tell me what it is like to compose. Do imagine yourself composing and tell me just what it is like. Take me, Spaceskye, on a composing trip, take me on composing trip with you - if you please.
    Hm. Well. (This is very random, xD it may be a test of my respect.)

Well the composing inspiration can come to me anytime... I can be intentionally working on something, or just practicing, and suddenly I find a good melody or rhythm I'd like to work with. I take it from there, I mostly just experiment when creating the melodies. Sometimes they're easy to form, others, I have to make a few mistakes to find the right one. If I'm working on a lyrical song, or suddenly I get an idea of what kind of lyrics I'd like to use for the song, I sing the melody while singing the lyrics (if that makes sense). Then I'll either come up with a composition to be the background for the lyrics, or add chords to it. Then once I have all those things down-- the song could be considered done, it's very easy to continue to add the lyrics or chords then on...

Now I want to make a song that's inspired by the Rockies as large musical notes... I'll work on that...

Smile The Duet

Hm. Well. (This is very random, xD it may be a test of my respect.)

Well the composing inspiration can come to me anytime... I can be intentionally working on something, or just practicing, and suddenly I find a good melody or rhythm I'd like to work with. I take it from there, I mostly just experiment when creating the melodies. Sometimes they're easy to form, others, I have to make a few mistakes to find the right one. If I'm working on a lyrical song, or suddenly I get an idea of what kind of lyrics I'd like to use for the song, I sing the melody while singing the lyrics (if that makes sense). Then I'll either come up with a composition to be the background for the lyrics, or add chords to it. Then once I have all those things down-- the song could be considered done, it's very easy to continue to add the lyrics or chords then on...

Now I want to make a song that's inspired by the Rockies as large musical notes... I'll work on that...

It's true, the Rockies are rather large musical notes, while our Great Dividing Range is rather flat. The mountains have been worn down by time, and now they are so friendly, we can walk to the top.

Perhaps you might be inspired to write a duet - the Rockies and the Great Dividing Range meet with two quite disparate voices, both four thousand miles long, and although the Rockies are the taller, the Great Dividing Range is the older and wiser.

Of course living on opposite sides of the Earth, they have never met and each thought they were unique until you composed their duet.

I was surprised to find that the father of the nice Japanese girl in my class spoke to her in an abusive, disrespectful and bad way.

And I was even more surprised to discover that she always spoke to her father with respect, even when he spoke badly to her.

So over coffee in the Refectory one day I broached the matter to her. I asked her, quite simply, why she spoke so respectfully to her father when he spoke so disrespectfully to her?

And without pausing, she said she was practising. She was practising speaking with respect to her father for the time she would meet a man she did respect.

And of course her answer earned my respect.

But I didn't know whether she was speaking to me out of respect or whether she was just practising.

So when you address me here, are you speaking to me out of respect, or are you just practising for the time you meet someone you do respect?
    That kind of seems counter-intuitive. She's learning how to respect people that disrespect her because she will then respect someone who is worthy? But then she'll also respect those that are unworthy...what's the point again?

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    That kind of seems counter-intuitive. She's learning how to respect people that disrespect her because she will then respect someone who is worthy? But then she'll also respect those that are unworthy...what's the point again?
    The point is that she showed great moral fortitude.

And she showed moral fortitude because she practised.

And she not only practised, she practised in difficult circumstances.

And the further point is that Central provides us with difficult circumstances in which to practise moral fortitude.

And practice make perfect.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

The point is that she showed great moral fortitude.
    Agreed.

And she showed moral fortitude because she practised.
    OR: "She showed moral fortitude because SHE CHOSE TO."

And she not only practised, she practised in difficult circumstances.
    Agreed.

And the further point is that Central provides us with difficult circumstances in which to practise moral fortitude.
    Or, to play devil's advocate, one might say: "TypC gives us circumstances LESS DIFFICULT than those that would be encountered IRL to practice moral fortitude," right?

And practice make perfect.
    Close. Actually, it's "PERFECT practice makes perfect."
    Practicing something 1,000 times the wrong way will not make you a master of it.
    Practicing something 1,000 times the right way will improve your skill significantly.

Interesting thread, Victor.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

Hm in a way it seems like you asked a question, Victor, then educated us by correcting us answering your own question. So thank you

Smile The Pouch of a Wombat

Hm in a way it seems like you asked a question, Victor, then educated us by correcting us answering your own question. So thank you
    I must admit I would prefer the original post to inspire an imaginative response rather than discussing the point or arguing about whether my response is right or wrong. That is why I tried to inspire you to write a musical response.

I mean there is no point to music, and music is neither right nor wrong.

And in the same way we are neither right nor wrong, rather we are ends in ourselves. And we don't have a point and there is no need to justify our existence.

And the Great Dividing Range has told me that they feel comforted that they are balanced by the Rockies on the other side of the Earth.

And while the Rockies may be musical notes, the Great Dividing Range plays great booming notes just below the threshold of hearing - as warm as a wombat's pouch.