User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Respect

Smile Music and Water

I am comforted to live in the arms of the Great Dividing Range. To my east is the Dividing Range proper, and to my west is an arm of the Dividing Range called the Brindabella Range. And we drink from both, the purest and clearest water in the world.

And with the help of Spaceskye I have been able to hear the deep notes of the Great Dividing Range and the exquisite piping of the Brindabellas.

And although the Great Dividing Range is 4,000 kilometres long, the Brindabellas are far more managable. In fact I have been able to bury myself in the Brindabellas at my favourite spot, Condor Creek, so beautiful the sunlit creek steals the soul.

The Brindabellas are within sight of Canberra and snow covered in winter, and as I drink their waters, I can hear the elegant piping of the Brindabellas and the grand deep notes of the Great Dividng Range.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The point is that she showed great moral fortitude.

And she showed moral fortitude because she practised.

And she not only practised, she practised in difficult circumstances.

And the further point is that Central provides us with difficult circumstances in which to practise moral fortitude.

And practice make perfect.
    I think I kind of get what you're saying, I just don't think it should be an absolutely kind of thing. If she takes this to the extreme then she's really learning to disrespect herself. This is hard to explain, but I think I disagree that she would be moral if this happens to her in the extreme. Does this cause her despair or sadness?

If you asked her what it would mean to disrespect oneself, maybe this would all make a lot more sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I think I kind of get what you're saying, I just don't think it should be an absolutely kind of thing. If she takes this to the extreme then she's really learning to disrespect herself. This is hard to explain, but I think I disagree that she would be moral if this happens to her in the extreme. Does this cause her despair or sadness?
    Of course it is an apocrypal story. And being apocryphal it juxtaposes the disrespect of the father with the respect of the daughter for dramatic effect.

And the surprise in the story is that the daughter, not the father, is in charge.