User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Unhappy Mental illness in your family

Today I read that the onset of schizophrenia for women can be from age 30-40, as opposed to teens/early adulthood for men. With my grandmother having had it (and committing suicide, presumably because of it), and my prior misconception that it'd have manifested in my teens or early twenties....now I'm worried.

Does anyone else have biological relatives with mental illnesses? What kind? Do you worry about getting it, or do you already have it?
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

I worry about getting a schizophrenia a lot! Nobody in the family had it, but given that I know a few people with schizophrenia, and I always think "omg he is actually more normal than i am"; i get worried. But they are on meds and I am on zero meds (i have real repulsion towards meds). I've read onset for women is 25-30 usually, but i guess that could old data.

You should probably do all you can to prevent it.. and just live your life. If you will get it - it is not the end of the world. Worrying about it is. Because you know yourself how much mental distress you create by worrying.

Maybe it isnt enneagram related, but I somehow doubt many 3s are prone to that. More like to narcissistic personality disorder, antisocial or workaholism.. because there is some correlation with Enneagram types and tendency to have a disease - for example, multiple personality disorder is highly (even maybe 100%) correlated with type 5, because 5s split things into different shelves, and detach from feelings etc...

do you know your grandmother's e-type?

most schizophrenic people i know are 4.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    I worry about getting a schizophrenia a lot! Nobody in the family had it, but given that I know a few people with schizophrenia, and I always think "omg he is actually more normal than i am"; i get worried. But they are on meds and I am on zero meds (i have real repulsion towards meds). I've read onset for women is 25-30 usually, but i guess that could old data.

You should probably do all you can to prevent it.. and just live your life. If you will get it - it is not the end of the world. Worrying about it is. Because you know yourself how much mental distress you create by worrying.

Maybe it isnt enneagram related, but I somehow doubt many 3s are prone to that. More like to narcissistic personality disorder, antisocial or workaholism.. because there is some correlation with Enneagram types and tendency to have a disease - for example, multiple personality disorder is highly (even maybe 100%) correlated with type 5, because 5s split things into different shelves, and detach from feelings etc...

do you know your grandmother's e-type?

most schizophrenic people i know are 4.
    Thanks...I think I read that smoking was supposed to actually EASE schizophrenia symptoms, though of course that doesn't mean it helps prevent it. And probably temporarily at best, so I'm not going to start up that bad habit again.

Interesting thoughts on the enneagram. My grandmother was DEFINITELY an enneagram 4. She was, I think, an INFJ 4w5.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Thanks...I think I read that smoking was supposed to actually EASE schizophrenia symptoms, though of course that doesn't mean it helps prevent it. And probably temporarily at best, so I'm not going to start up that bad habit again.

Interesting thoughts on the enneagram. My grandmother was DEFINITELY an enneagram 4. She was, I think, an INFJ 4w5.
    there are a several things that prevent schizophrenia, from what i've read - like doing no drugs, appropriate socializing, psychotherapy.. dont know... i didnt heard that one about smoking...

interesting your grandmother was 4... i really think there's some [bigger] correlation. i mean... i can't really imagine schizophrenic 3... CEO with sch? we are known to put aside any problem in order to *function*
    have you heard about the line that "3s are always a few levels more problematic than how they look", i can definately relate, people usually think i am super functional and very healthy and what not only because when i talk about stuff like plans and business i am assertive - they dont see my emotional chaos inside... (if they dont know me for longer )

just keep doing typical 3 stuff and you're schizo-free -this-is-my-plan-lol-

P.S. i've heard from several different sources/people that actually symptoms of schizophrenia (when on meds) are less problematic than of typical neurosis/depressions/personality disorders, so this is how they explained me why i see shizophrenic people as better functional (sometimes!!), they don't have typical neurotic concerns - at least just a few i know - they dont care what people think and like... maybe because there's no much "ego"? and ego keeps you sane......by driving you insane with worrying..

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

You shouldnt be worried about that, schizophrenia isnt all about genes, genes just give it an opportunity to manifest. Also if your grandmom has schizophrenia, that only increases your chances to have it sooo little that if you would get it, it would be more likely that you drowe yourself crazy by worrying about it, rather than you just magically getting it from your grandmother.

Also onset for men and women for schizophrenia can be what ever age, its just more common with women at 40+. Still most women get it from age of 24-32, for men thats mostly ages of 20-28, so the difference isnt all that big.

Also you might find it interesting that usually introverts are the ones that get schizophrenia. Jung went to a degree where he pretty much said that its an introvert illness.

Stop worrying.

Edit.
    my aunt has schizophrenia, my cousin has bipolar, other cousin had depression(but pretty good reason for that), other cousins kid was depressed before she killed herself and my mom has had one depressive episode.
    I never had any major illnesses, but i might have been depressed once.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My maternal grandmother has schizophrenia and my mom is undiagnosed but has some very schizo-like symptoms from an external perspective (mostly connected with religion).

Both parents have pretty severe depression and have been on meds for years and years, to varying degrees of effectiveness.

I suspect my mom has adhd-inattentive, but she isn't diagnosed. My dad has self-diagnosed himself with asperger's, but again, no diagnosis. My sister has I think diagnosed social anxiety (it's definitely pretty severe).

Also medical diagnoses aside, both my parents are seriously fucked in the head loony tunes, and both are (self-confirmed, and I mostly agree) intuitive, making them seem even more crazy than they actually are.

----------

For me - I've never ever brought up mental issues with a doctor, so not diagnosed with anything. I suspect I have mild social anxiety and moderate adhd-inattentive. I've had my periods of depression but not anything really crazy, and not for more than a few years at a time, so I kinda doubt I have clinical depression. I'm not that worried about schizo but I probably should be. Not worried about any other mental thing.

I have actually been thinking recently about asking a doctor about adhd - if I could reduce the adhd-like traits I have that would be omfg lifechanging, even though I'm not a complete fuckup yet. but the rampant self-diagnosis thing holds me back, and the mild "social anxiety" (heh) makes me terrified to look stupid by presuming to think I have a mental condition when I'm really just lazy/flaky.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Yes and yes I worry about it. My maternal grandfather had bipolar 2 as did my maternal uncle. My mom has crippling schizophrenia and refuses any medication.

I ended up diagnosed with bipolar 1 a year ago but I worry it could get worse and become 2 or that I could develop schizophrenia as I age. After all, my mom's side of the family's symptoms didn't get 'bad' until their mid 30's.

MBTI
    yupp

my uncle has bipolar, and my brother went through a major depressive episode in his teens, and my mom in grad school.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Even though schizophrenia is genetic, and skips a generation, it still only affects 5% of biological grandchildren and depends heavily on environmental illness. I have several relatives with bipolar and one with severe schizophrenia and it hasn't manifested yet in any of the grandchildren or great grandchildren. There is some degree of anxiety disorders and OCD, but no schizophrenia.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

oh yeah - don't smoke pot. It causes a gene mutation that encourages schiz. to develop.