User Tag List

First 12345 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Dunno if you have heard of it, but some schizophrenics might be actually using cannabis for self medication. It might sound weird, but cannabis also includes some antipsychotics(amount of them vary from strain to strain and effects what sort of high the strain gives) and schizophrenics might find some relief from some strains of cannabis.
    Yep - what I've read is that while most people, schizo or not, get a mild positive mood from smoking up, schizophrenics but not schizophrenics also get a decrease in self-reported "negative mental symptoms", I don't remember how those were defined exactly though. The point being that they were more drawn to become (psychologically) addicted (and would therefore smoke more often) because it relieved the negative things they were experiencing, whereas non-schizophrenics don't get that added draw.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Yep - what I've read is that while most people, schizo or not, get a mild positive mood from smoking up, schizophrenics but not schizophrenics also get a decrease in self-reported "negative mental symptoms", I don't remember how those were defined exactly though. The point being that they were more drawn to become (psychologically) addicted (and would therefore smoke more often) because it relieved the negative things they were experiencing, whereas non-schizophrenics don't get that added draw.
    But you know this addictive behavior is mainly studied with people who already got ill. Also its mainly looked at addiction to tobacco. Some new studies has led to hypothesis that they use tobacco as self medication also. Not to mention that schizophrenia itself seems to lower self control when it comes to addictions and since they are unable to think of future too much(illness forcing them to live in the present moment), so these two factors together might lead to develop addictions more easily. Also some medication seems to do this also, so this link between addiction and schizophrenia(especially before getting ill) is bit unclear.

MBTI
    yupp

But you know this addictive behavior is mainly studied with people who already got ill. Also its mainly looked at addiction to tobacco. Some new studies has led to hypothesis that they use tobacco as self medication also. Not to mention that schizophrenia itself seems to lower self control when it comes to addictions and since they are unable to think of future too much(illness forcing them to live in the present moment), so these two factors together might lead to develop addictions more easily. Also some medication seems to do this also, so this link between addiction and schizophrenia(especially before getting ill) is bit unclear.
    yes and did you know that people with schizophrenia are less likely to quit smoking than the general population. That's all I know
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yes and did you know that people with schizophrenia are less likely to quit smoking than the general population. That's all I know
    Yea i knew it, i think thats because of i wrote in last post, lack of self control, self medication etc
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    yupp

Yea i knew it, i think thats because of i wrote in last post, lack of self control, self medication etc
    dude, seriously give me some credit, i knew that before i read your stinking post
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    dude, seriously give me some credit, i knew that before i read your stinking post
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Today I read that the onset of schizophrenia for women can be from age 30-40, as opposed to teens/early adulthood for men. With my grandmother having had it (and committing suicide, presumably because of it), and my prior misconception that it'd have manifested in my teens or early twenties....now I'm worried.

Does anyone else have biological relatives with mental illnesses? What kind? Do you worry about getting it, or do you already have it?
    At one time, I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, and I'm fairly convinced I have Asperger's Syndrome.

I don't think anyone else in my family has been officially diagnosed with anything, but there seems to be a variety of disorders in my family: Depression, Anxiety, Bi-Polar, Borderline Personality Disorder, just to name a few. There are all kinds of addictions and some criminal behavior......
    You name it, it seems we've got it.

I'm managing my depression without medication. And I've learned to cope with my Aspie tendencies fairly well. But life is a daily struggle for me.

Thankfully, I have a very patient and understanding wife and a loving, merciful God who is transforming me by his grace.

MBTI
    INFJ

Keep in mind the age group to which you refer as Schizophrenic and the general history of mental health diagnosis. Remember that most mental health institutions used Freudian Theories between the late 1800s until the 1940s when anti-psychotic drugs and other treatments (ECT) became available. The 1940s was the beginning of exploring into loosely labelled schizophrenics and attempting to diagnose them correctly (due in part to therapist Carl Rogers). "By the late 1960s there were over 60 different types of psychotherapies." (http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/his...-psychotherapy). My point is your grandparents, if born in this generation, may never have been properly diagnosed. Yet they were still a guinea pig to the next generation (as we all are.)

As for myself, I have researched my genealogy extensively and found a line of mental health problems. I myself have suffered from mild depression all my life and quite possibly mild ADD. I don't believe my mother had any illness, if she did she hid it. Her mother was born into the above referenced generation and diagnosed as schizophrenic. I did get copies of all her intake forms where she received mental health treatment. They lead me to believe she was manic depressive, but being a guinea pig for those heavy anti-psychotic drugs I'm sure there became a point in time that her brain was toast. My grandmother's mother committed suicide, brother to great grandmother committed suicide and also their father committed suicide. Beyond that there are no more death certificates.

This is a good article regarding the history of mental illness.
    http://www.studentpulse.com/articles...to-happy-pills

Cheers.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Bipolar Disorder/Manic Depression on my mother's side; and yes, it has passed down to me.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Depression, manic depression, grandmother on mothers side and my father.

EDIT: At one point it was thought i may have manic depression but my actual diagnosis was episodic major depression.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"