User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Don't Be Yourself

Be yourself. This is common advice. Maybe it's because everybody is really a shining jewel deep down inside. Or maybe because it's really not worth the effort to work against yourself.

But, what I want to hear is when you're not yourself. What are those subjects that you're interested in that you've decided just creeps everybody out, or bores them? What is that thing you want to wear that your friends have expressedly told you not to? What have you changed about yourself to make life easier?
    Likes DreamBeliever, five sounds liked this post

there is not literally a thing like 'yourself'*. There is what you believe you are... and you forgot you just BELIEVE you are those things, so you think that you are what you believe about yourself. Your mind created some beliefs about yourself, like 'i am a hard worker', 'i am less intelligent than others', 'i have bad people skills', and you forgot that that is only a creation, you forgot that you are the creator of beliefs about yourself, so you walk around and live your life thinking you're that Creation.

*of course there are your heart's desires..wishes..tastes... but then if you decide to STFU about soemthing you're interested in - ex. you dont want to talk in front of some friends about MBTI bc they will think you're weird - so your problem isn't that you like MBTI.. your problem is "i am weird [if i like]" , "they think i am weird" and then you stop being person that "likes mbti" you become this "weirdo" in your head, you treat yourself as "this weirdo". mbti is irrelevant.

and when you remove all beliefs about yourself... then you can be whatever you want to be. literally.

(yeah this theory kind off contradicts mbti, which i am not so huge fan of anyways)
    Likes riva liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I hate when people say that. Rightly or wrongly, I tend to get the impression that the 'just be yourself' adviser is just the type that is naturally very personable and likable. And since all (s)he's ever had to do to win people over is just be their personable and likable self, they naively assume it's that freaking easy for everyone else.

It's not like people should build relationships on being fake or pretending, and I guess some people rely on putting up a front and could use this advice...but everyone shows some things and holds back others in any given situation. And sometimes relating to people better does involve doing some work on yourself, building new interests to gain more common ground with others, opening up your life and experiencing new things if you don't have much going on that you can share with others, learning to understand people better, learning to focus on others instead of withdrawing into your thoughts all the time, etc.

People don't want to hear my complaining.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

ReflecTcelfeR

I truly don't believe you can be anything other than what you are; it isn't creation it is discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Be yourself. This is common advice. Maybe it's because everybody is really a shining jewel deep down inside. Or maybe because it's really not worth the effort to work against yourself.

But, what I want to hear is when you're not yourself. What are those subjects that you're interested in that you've decided just creeps everybody out, or bores them? What is that thing you want to wear that your friends have expressedly told you not to? What have you changed about yourself to make life easier?
    I see what you're getting at here... but I adapt to have impact, work within what I like. See what I have done? It is always yourself. But anyway... there is tons of stuff that has been influenced by others. I don't know though... I can't think of much I didn't do.

I stopped wearing long socks.
    Likes five sounds, IndyGhost liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    I truly don't believe you can be anything other than what you are; it isn't creation it is discovery.
    I think it is creation. Actually, I get what you are saying though.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I think "be yourself" mainly regards to your decisions and that you should not always take into consideration the other people, but sometimes be egoistical in your decisions and do what you want.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    yupp

the motto should be "Be yourself, as long as yourself isn't an asshole, weirdo, or creep" or "be yourself, as long as it's exactly how I want you to be"

that's what they mean when they say "Be yourself" isn't it.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes GIjade liked this post

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

But, what I want to hear is when you're not yourself. What are those subjects that you're interested in that you've decided just creeps everybody out, or bores them?
    Personality types

What is that thing you want to wear that your friends have expressedly told you not to?
    Nothing.

What have you changed about yourself to make life easier?
    It isn't about changing my core self, rather my self presentation. Sometimes to get along and to keep a job you can't just always blurt out whatever is on your mind. In job interviews, I've found some 'faking it till you make it' necessary.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne