User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Be yourself. This is common advice. Maybe it's because everybody is really a shining jewel deep down inside. Or maybe because it's really not worth the effort to work against yourself.

But, what I want to hear is when you're not yourself. What are those subjects that you're interested in that you've decided just creeps everybody out, or bores them? What is that thing you want to wear that your friends have expressedly told you not to? What have you changed about yourself to make life easier?
    Psychology, serial killers, Nazis, my non PC joking style. It more or less weirds people out.

People have told me not to wear bright makeup (not streetwalkerish but all the makeup rules annoy me after while).

I am just very formal and private because people are always going to nag me (moreso than the average person due to my circumstances) if I go a little bit outside of the social rules.....it's exhausting.

MBTI
    yupp

i won't, thanks mr. termite sir!! actually i was looking for something else because i'm trying to figure something out. but this is good advice.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Qlip liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Wow, this is an old thread. But I'm not embarrassed at all by it, what are the chances? To answer your question, young @Qlip, the things you ultimately have the fortitude to fake are the things that you were destined to make.
    Likes prplchknz, Kas liked this post

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    the motto should be "Be yourself, as long as yourself isn't an asshole, weirdo, or creep" or "be yourself, as long as it's exactly how I want you to be"

that's what they mean when they say "Be yourself" isn't it.
    Be yourself as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.

In those cases, seperate those which it negatively affects and surround yourself with who it positively affects.

On a side note. I love to do things that screw with people's mind and assumptions. I enjoy the looks I get when I get in a 300k+ mile hooptie with faded and peeling paint, atleast I don't have to open door from back seat anymore, with all the squeeks and creeks of a old car while dressed up in slacks and nice Polo for work. When I am considered the genius at work in my group and when they ask what I am listening to and it's easy-e automobile. Walking into a nice restaurant in clothes that is dirty because when I am not working I am building things, fixing things, or helping others fix things. Walking into home depot in nice slacks a nice dress Polo shirt covered in sawdust from building a fish tank stand. When people see my handy work and then find out my job is a computer programmer. I actually get a trip out of making people do a double take....showing all sides of me...not just being one sided.

Edit: and then the next day they ask and I am listening to kenny g
    Im out, its been fun

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Being yourself requires knowing yourself.

So instead of giving someone the advice "Be yourself", I would say the words which every ancient Greek who went to see the oracle of Delphi would read:

"Know thyself."
    Likes Poki, Julius_Van_Der_Beak, N/A, Kas, ESFJ liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Be yourself as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.

In those cases, seperate those which it negatively affects and surround yourself with who it positively affects.

On a side note. I love to do things that screw with people's mind and assumptions. I enjoy the looks I get when I get in a 300k+ mile hooptie with faded and peeling paint, atleast I don't have to open door from back seat anymore, with all the squeeks and creeks of a old car while dressed up in slacks and nice Polo for work. When I am considered the genius at work in my group and when they ask what I am listening to and it's easy-e automobile. Walking into a nice restaurant in clothes that is dirty because when I am not working I am building things, fixing things, or helping others fix things. Walking into home depot in nice slacks a nice dress Polo shirt covered in sawdust from building a fish tank stand. When people see my handy work and then find out my job is a computer programmer. I actually get a trip out of making people do a double take....showing all sides of me...not just being one sided.

Edit: and then the next day they ask and I am listening to kenny g
    apparently me being myself effects other negatively because when ever i am it never ends well. so "be yourself if yourself fits into our idea of how someone who looks like you should be"
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Cool thread, even if it is old. I literally just made a blog post similar to this the other day.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    Being yourself requires knowing yourself.

So instead of giving someone the advice "Be yourself", I would say the words which every ancient Greek who went to see the oracle of Delphi would read:

"Know thyself."
    Good stuff. In knowing myself, I learned that part of me is plastic. Only part.
    Likes Evee liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DreamBeliever View Post
    Cool thread, even if it is old. I literally just made a blog post similar to this the other day.
    maybe cross post it here? or link
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Likes DreamBeliever liked this post

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    apparently me being myself effects other negatively because when ever i am it never ends well. so "be yourself if yourself fits into our idea of how someone who looks like you should be"
    Maybe the fact that it ended was a blessing and in that case all was well.
    Im out, its been fun