• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Don't Be Yourself

G

Glycerine

Be yourself. This is common advice. Maybe it's because everybody is really a shining jewel deep down inside. Or maybe because it's really not worth the effort to work against yourself.

But, what I want to hear is when you're not yourself. What are those subjects that you're interested in that you've decided just creeps everybody out, or bores them? What is that thing you want to wear that your friends have expressedly told you not to? What have you changed about yourself to make life easier?
Psychology, serial killers, Nazis, my non PC joking style. It more or less weirds people out.

People have told me not to wear bright makeup (not streetwalkerish but all the makeup rules annoy me after while).

I am just very formal and private because people are always going to nag me (moreso than the average person due to my circumstances) if I go a little bit outside of the social rules.....it's exhausting.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i won't, thanks mr. termite sir!! actually i was looking for something else because i'm trying to figure something out. but this is good advice. :cheers:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, this is an old thread. But I'm not embarrassed at all by it, what are the chances? To answer your question, young [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION], the things you ultimately have the fortitude to fake are the things that you were destined to make.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the motto should be "Be yourself, as long as yourself isn't an asshole, weirdo, or creep" or "be yourself, as long as it's exactly how I want you to be"

that's what they mean when they say "Be yourself" isn't it.

Be yourself as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.

In those cases, seperate those which it negatively affects and surround yourself with who it positively affects.

On a side note. I love to do things that screw with people's mind and assumptions. I enjoy the looks I get when I get in a 300k+ mile hooptie with faded and peeling paint, atleast I don't have to open door from back seat anymore, with all the squeeks and creeks of a old car while dressed up in slacks and nice Polo for work. When I am considered the genius at work in my group and when they ask what I am listening to and it's easy-e automobile. Walking into a nice restaurant in clothes that is dirty because when I am not working I am building things, fixing things, or helping others fix things. Walking into home depot in nice slacks a nice dress Polo shirt covered in sawdust from building a fish tank stand. When people see my handy work and then find out my job is a computer programmer. I actually get a trip out of making people do a double take....showing all sides of me...not just being one sided.

Edit: and then the next day they ask and I am listening to kenny g

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being yourself requires knowing yourself.

So instead of giving someone the advice "Be yourself", I would say the words which every ancient Greek who went to see the oracle of Delphi would read:

"Know thyself."

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Be yourself as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.

In those cases, seperate those which it negatively affects and surround yourself with who it positively affects.

On a side note. I love to do things that screw with people's mind and assumptions. I enjoy the looks I get when I get in a 300k+ mile hooptie with faded and peeling paint, atleast I don't have to open door from back seat anymore, with all the squeeks and creeks of a old car while dressed up in slacks and nice Polo for work. When I am considered the genius at work in my group and when they ask what I am listening to and it's easy-e automobile. Walking into a nice restaurant in clothes that is dirty because when I am not working I am building things, fixing things, or helping others fix things. Walking into home depot in nice slacks a nice dress Polo shirt covered in sawdust from building a fish tank stand. When people see my handy work and then find out my job is a computer programmer. I actually get a trip out of making people do a double take....showing all sides of me...not just being one sided.

Edit: and then the next day they ask and I am listening to kenny g

apparently me being myself effects other negatively because when ever i am it never ends well. so "be yourself if yourself fits into our idea of how someone who looks like you should be"

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being yourself requires knowing yourself.

So instead of giving someone the advice "Be yourself", I would say the words which every ancient Greek who went to see the oracle of Delphi would read:

"Know thyself."

Good stuff. In knowing myself, I learned that part of me is plastic. Only part.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
apparently me being myself effects other negatively because when ever i am it never ends well. so "be yourself if yourself fits into our idea of how someone who looks like you should be"

Maybe the fact that it ended was a blessing and in that case all was well.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Be yourself is one of my least favourite quotes.

Accept your weaknesses perhaps and love it or try to change it depending on what you think is more suitable sounds like a better quote.

gromit

likes this
People don't want to hear my complaining.

I should edit this, because some people don't even mind the complaining, if you can do it in more of a funny way, and it's not the only thing you ever talk about.

gromit

likes this
It is weird though, because I think it is good advice for some people and bad advice for other people.

Some people's 'self' is actually super cool but they are embarassed about it for some reason or too shy or don't have confidence to let that shine. They should be themselves. But some people's 'self' is a real whiny asshole. Like... some people who use that Marilyn Monroe quote about handling someone at their worst vs deserving them at their best. Like maybe sorry, your best isn't worth handling you at your worst, that's how bad your worst is. But then that quote is also about the kind of thing that's actually really nice for a lot of other people. You stick by someone even when they're having a bad day or going through a rough time.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It is weird though, because I think it is good advice for some people and bad advice for other people.

Like some people's 'self' is actually super cool but they are embarassed about it for some reason or too shy or don't have confidence to let that shine. But some people's 'self' is a real asshole. It's like some people who use that Marilyn Monroe quote about handling someone at their worst vs deserving them at their best. Like maybe sorry, your best isn't worth handling you at your worst, that's how bad your worst is. But then that quote is also about the kind of thing that's actually really nice for a lot of other people. You stick by someone even when they're having a bad day or going through a rough time.

i can't like this post :cry: there's no button.

i always viewed it as you can be yourself if you're not toooooooooooo weird. you can be a little weird that's fine.

DreamBeliever

check the privacy settings. i don't have permission to read it :(

Eh, I'll just copy & paste then. It's also in the 'Blogs' section on here.

Has anyone else encountered this in life? People telling you to be yourself, but when you really do, people get mad at you for it? It seems like it's the same as when people tell you to speak your mind. Maybe I'm just weird, & it's really just me. I feel like no one likes me when I'm really being myself. I guess it's because I'm not good at acting 'socially acceptable'. Shouldn't we embrace each other's differences, though? The world would be boring if we were all the same. Eh, but life is boring anyway. I feel like what people really mean by this statement, though, is be the person I want you to be, or fit into the mold that I want you to. I'm just so feed up with this.