User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default Do people not have the ability to remember other people as well as some people do?

Typically, I can remember most people who I have been introduced to, or interacted with, in a way that indicates to me that we are "more than just strangers". I'm not good with names (not bad with them..) but I typically can remember peoples faces...where I saw that face before...etc etc.

I go to an isolated campus with 20k or so students. I would say that out of every 15-20 random faces, I can recognize at least one face..and realize why I recognize it (Where I saw them..or see them frequently) That is just over 1000 people..or faces, that I have "profiled".

Out of these 1000 faces..I only know like maybe 10 of them intimately enough to actually go up to talk to. (A limitation I put on myself lol)

But I "know" 990 other faces.

What I find funny is every time I see one of the 990 faces..I try to make eye contact, and they typically don't comply. For example..a friend of mine once briefly introduced me to a piano major..and she played the piano for us once (around 8 months ago). It was the only time I've ever interacted with her (and it was like maybe 10 minutes of total reaction)...and I just saw her again...and I tried to make eye contact with her..and nothing..

I've always just assumed that people like that were just too busy to look up and see my face, that if she were to look up she would instantly remember me..but maybe, she actually doesn't remember me..or isn't consciously aware that she has interacted with me before.

Is it possible that some people can't remember having talked to you, even if briefly, a couple months/years ago?

To me, that seems strange...how could you forget?

(Or perhaps they just don't want to talk to me...so they pretend not to see me, when they do...I hope people aren't that mean lol)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

And who are you again?

Seriously, I know what you are talking about. I don't forget faces or events but I am terrible with names. I always try to make eye contact and say hello to people I know I have met in the past (unless I would rather I stay forgotten).
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It's extremely possible. I have been on both ends of the experience. It's helpful sometimes if you just say hi, you played the piano for me once, nice to see you, rather than just look and say nothing. When the other person sees you outside of the context of the situation when you met, in different clothes, different circumstances, sometimes it's hard to make the connection.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

I can recognize your face, it's just I might forget your name if I don't deem you as interesting/useful/important
    true chiz guys ^
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

Dali

Terrible with names and terrible with faces.

It's all about context for me when it comes to those two (when it comes to acquaintances). Anthony from my floor at the office building, who I run into and nod at every other weekday could be very easily ignored and go 'unrecognised' should I run into him at the club/mall/etc. Anthony would recognise me and walk over to say hi and I'd know that I knew him but, more often than not, I wouldn't be able to place where I knew him from and how I did. I've lost count of the number of times I've bs'd my way through entire conversations with people, never knowing 'who' they were.

EDIT: And just noticed that @SilkRoad mentioned the context bit in-between the time I clicked on the thread & posted.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Terrible with names and terrible with faces.

It's all about context for me when it comes to those two (when it comes to acquaintances). Anthony from my floor at the office building, who I run into and nod at every other weekday could be very easily ignored and go 'unrecognised' should I run into him at the club/mall/etc. Anthony would recognise me and walk over to say hi and I'd know that I knew him but, more often than not, I wouldn't be able to place where I knew him from and how I did. I've lost count of the number of times I've bs'd my way through entire conversations with people, never knowing 'who' they were.

EDIT: And just noticed that @SilkRoad mentioned the context bit in-between the time I clicked on the thread & posted.
    I think that was @Tiltyred
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

You know, INFJ female person poster wossname!

Dali

@SilkRoad @Tiltyred My apologies, ladies. *facepalm*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Unless there is a specific event to link with the face (like oh that's the guy that got the crap beat out of him up a week ago) or the person is unsually good looking, ugly, tall, short or something I probably won't remember...my memory is way too selective when it comes to people. Same with names. Sometimes my ESTJ father informs me ''Did you know X is in hospital?'' where X is a distant relative that I exchange a ''Hey, how are you doing'' once a semester. Now I barely say anything, in order to avoid ''WTF? HE IS FAMILY. HOW INCONSIDERATE OF YOU. WHEN YOU WERE ONLY 5 YEARS HE HELPED US SO MUCH, HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW HIS NAME?''.
    Also, I tend to avoid acquaintances, unless I judge the person can actually be useful. I hate faking I care...way too draining.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

I'm terrible with names and faces, mostly because I don't often notice them much. I would have trouble remembering the face of someone I talked to briefly a couple months ago, and there's absolutely no way I'd remember that person's name, unless for some reason it was very important to me. Most of the time I don't really pay attention to other people around me, so I wouldn't even be able to recognize half the people who live on the same floor as me in my dorm. I wouldn't even recognize the girl who lives across the hall from me. And I can only remember the faces of about five people in my Spanish class, which I have everyday. When I was in high school, I could only recognize maybe a few people who rode the same bus as me.

I'm terrible with names too. Somehow names just seem to go in one ear and out the other for me. About a month ago I met a couple people at lunch, and we talked for a bit and they introduced themselves...and almost immediately after I realized I'd missed their names somehow. I was listening and still managed to miss it...How does that happen? The same thing happens when I watch movies too. Often I don't learn the protagonist's name until half-way through the movie.

I have a very good memory of places though. I still have mental maps of places I went to years ago. And I can remember the exact spot I sat in at a restaurant I went to three years ago. I don't think I've ever been lost before because I always know where I am and how to get back where I came from.