User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    I think MBTI type describes only part of who we are. A personality is so multidimentional thing that no personality type description could describe it. Another thing is that if MBTI type really applies (which I doubt at times), there are still variation between types. So, people have different levels of function usage and they balance theirselves differently. Also the environment, society etc. have their effect on people and how they behave.
    A good way to prove this is with clones. You create two clones of the same person put one clone in one enviroment then put the other in a different one, and see how different they become with their beliefs, and outlook of life, and see how different their choices are. I'd love to see something like this carried out.

Also I don't want people of my type to be exactly like me, that would get boring. Most of the time when I meet someone too much like myself I usually end up hating them.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

*mumbles*

Two identical twins => not the same personality, not the same MBTI type (close... but not the same)... I think that sufficiently illustrates the effect of the environment on personality/behaviour. Oh and I'm of the camp which does not believe MBTI type is strictly due to genetics.

Also people far underestimate the effect of the situation on behavior... personality only accounts for like max 30% variation in people's behavior.

MBTI
    yupp

wait what?(did I miss something in this thread) I didn't say twins nor did I say that I expected them to be the same type, though part of me does but the other part of me wouldn't be suprised if they aren't . I said clones cuz it's the closest to the same person you can get, unless you know how to reincarnate someone and put them in a totally different life next time around. It would either prove or disprove that enviroment affects personality, of course you'd probably have to do this a bunch a different times.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    wait what?(did I miss something in this thread) I didn't say twins nor did I say that I expected them to be the same type, though part of me does but the other part of me wouldn't be suprised if they aren't . I said clones cuz it's the closest to the same person you can get, unless you know how to reincarnate someone and put them in a totally different life next time around. It would either prove or disprove that enviroment affects personality, of course you'd probably have to do this a bunch a different times.
    I was merely expanding on your idea of clones... monozygotic twins would have the identical set of genes... which is essentially "clone-like". So a natural experiment of your "cloning" idea has already been done. I was merely reporting the summarized results that they found. Well I suppose Ni jumped a couple of steps and started relating to types of twins here in the forum. My apologies...

Anyways, similarity of traits between MZ twins raised apart is ~60% (Minnesota twin study or whatnot... there's like 3 of them giving you similar results). Where is the other 40% differences coming from? The environment.

MBTI
    yupp

are we 100% sure that monozygotic twins have identical sets of genes? or is it possible that we think so but their could still be minut descrepancies?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INfj

I believe it's been defined as having same set of genes but functional expression of the genes varies. Gene expression is related to environmental factors... hence even for MZ twins, you see differences.

Twin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Their traits and physical appearances are not exactly the same; although they have nearly identical DNA[1], environmental conditions both inside the womb and throughout their lives influence the switching on and off of various genes.

MBTI
    infp

I think our psychology is only sort of a very basic foundation for our personality and lives. The foundation itself is built into a larger foundation by our environment and circumstances (aka nature and nurture).

I think in terms of MBTI, our type is probably more or less just how we are born (but not genetically inherited), but how our psychological functions work is a matter of environment so two people who grew up in a similar environment with the same type will still be infinitely different from one another.

A very small percentage. 10% at the most.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INFJ

I agree with everyone on this, but I also think it depends on the type and the person. People who don't have much depth to their personality might be like another like them.
    INFJ, Counselor, IEI, 4w5

Even clones and twins could easily be exposed to different amounts of testosterone and stuff like that while they are still developing in the womb. A difference in testosterone can make a remarkable difference in how they turn out. And that's just one example.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson