User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Thin-slicing

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Thin-slicing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-slicing

I've been reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell and the examples he given show that think-slicing has it's benefits. Bloody good read.

Are you someone who thin-slices or do you prefer to weigh up a decision with facts, experience and plenty of time?

I used to thin-slice and allow the dice to roll as they may and i enjoyed that way of thinking and it suited my life style and personality. These days i tend to give myself plenty of time to come to a conclusion but unfortunately i rarely do come to a conclusion as i am able to weigh up both sides which ultimately leaves me in a neutral place which doesn't really help.

Please add any more info you find relevant as i'm loving this subject at the moment.

Thanks in advance
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Interesting article. Sounds like thin-slicing might be correlated with Ne?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

^I don't know--I'd guess it's more a Je characteristic? I'm pretty sure I do it a lot.....in the name of efficiency.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I've been reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell and the examples he given show that think-slicing has it's benefits. Bloody good read.
    I love that book!

Are you someone who thin-slices or do you prefer to weigh up a decision with facts, experience and plenty of time?
    I keep the immediate instincts in mind but I don't make important decisions based on purely them. Although I guess if I get a strong reaction about something I'm more inclined to investigate if that reaction is apt or at least keep my mind open to the possibility of it being so.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I love that book!
    Awesome
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I get that feeling all the time, the more I think about something, the more convoluted it becomes.

Individuals also believe that the effects of the phenomenon known as déjà vu happen within the same time frame of thin-slicing and might also have a direct correlation.
    No way o.O
    That's so cool that it can't be true, I blame these so called "individuals".
    5 3 9

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I prefer thinly sliced meat but thickly sliced cheese. The perfect sandwich is all in how the meat folds, and when it's thin you get more creative/robust folding.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Thin-slicing can't be magic. I imagine something like that needs to be trained. Is it maybe a just an ability developed at maturity when enough patterns have been observed and conclusions being experienced, i.e. Thick-slicing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I prefer thinly sliced meat but thickly sliced cheese. The perfect sandwich is all in how the meat folds, and when it's thin you get more creative/robust folding.
    me too. i like shaved, actually, when it comes to meat, but they get pissed at you at the deli counter because it takes so much longer.

as for regular thin-slicing - i'd actually guess it as Ni. i'm totally better at broad patterns than quick recognition.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Thin-sliced meat yes, but everyone knows cheese tastes best when grated.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Thin-slicing can't be magic. I imagine something like that needs to be trained. Is it maybe a just an ability developed at maturity when enough patterns have been observed and conclusions being experienced, i.e. Thick-slicing.
    Yes, in the book it described people who were quite knowledgeable in an area that had become highly attuned to the subtleties. One example was a tennis expert (I think he had coached professionally for years and/or played professionally) watching players serving on TV. He could predict to a high accuracy before they had even struck the ball whether they would double fault or not. He had no idea why he could tell and spent a lot of time trying to work out what he was picking up on.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte