• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dear Cynics: When did you become cynical?

I became cynical

• At birth

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • During childhood

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • In my teenage years

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • In adulthood (18+)

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The roots of my cynicism go very far back. I was always aware that my mother would say one thing to people, then something else behind their back; or use "white lies" to break or avoid commitments. She didn't do that with my dad or me, at least, but I found it dishonest, dishonorable, and it made me distrust people's motives. I saw the same kind of two-faced behavior from my peers in school, sometimes just a by-product of personal weakness, sometimes a deliberate tool of manipulation. This supported it further.

As I grew up I came to understand that not everyone behaves this way, and people can be trusted more than I might credit. Still, I prefer not to make assumptions. I, too, have an idealistic streak in terms of how I think the world should be. This means I tend to hope for the best, while remaining prepared for the worst. That preparation has saved me on at least a few occasions.

T

ThatGirl

I was going to post that I am not cynical on the inside, then I read the definition and I probably am.

I agree with a lot of what Corilis said. At an early age I noticed that people, adults, were hardly ever actually right, they were just in a position to make themselves right. When I was younger, I developed the habit of observing people, many of which were idiots, and seeing how their shitty actions were beneficial to their own wants or needs.

Later on, much much older, I actually started to realize that most people do all their shitty things because they actually believe in them, or because of what other people have done to them. All most people really want is to feel safe, accepted, and inspired, but I could never deny a persons ability to go instinctual and step on anyone.

Now I take people on an action by action, person by person, basis.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm half cynical, half wise - which means not at all wise.

Anyways, the sad parts came after a major burnout.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
About the time I started middle school. Gained an awareness that went beyond the face value of things- and dealt with that by attempting to legitimize alternatives-some were already, well accepted by merit of positivity, so I had to give voice to those that were not. Or so I felt. I had to assert 'the truth'-because to deny it-well- rabbit holes there.

And probably as a defense mechanism to cope with the realization that the world is not naturally immediately fair and good. Loss.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
As I grew up I came to understand that not everyone behaves this way, and people can be trusted more than I might credit. Still, I prefer not to make assumptions. I, too, have an idealistic streak in terms of how I think the world should be. This means I tend to hope for the best, while remaining prepared for the worst. That preparation has saved me on at least a few occasions.

This, although that idealistic streak wavers, sometimes it disappears. I'm always prepared for the worst, in situations and people and I'm surprised every time situations and people don't require my contingency plans. I don't remember a time I didn't feel this way.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been called a cynic before (depends on the subject) but I'm more of a skeptical optimist. I've been this way since I could remember.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find it funny that most people who I've interacted with said when it comes to this subject, they tend to say everybody else is stupid or the world isn't safe or blah blah lol.

Global ignorance. :laugh:

Trust is a two-way street. :coffee:

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm not cynical about the world, just the people in it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
after I left my Pleasantville upbringing and joined in the real world... it had never occurred to me that I couldn't change the world to make it better when I was younger without putting in a considerable amount of time and effort and that some people are just assholes and that people are like water and generally will follow the path of least resistance :(

I got most of my idealism beat out of me in my 20s by making a lot of bad decisions that led to bad consequences, but I still have some left because every time something awful happens there's always that one person who will show up and help you out... and it may be only one person while everyone else sits back and decides that it's not their problem... and I do try to be that one person whenever I get the chance because I do know that it makes a difference to people even though the rest of the world will seem like it's out to get a person and just flat out not care about them

I guess I'm not a pure cynic, just a lot more than I used to be ;)

and as a note, I got a rather idealistic tattoo on my hip when I turned 18 and I still smile when I see it because it's a reminder of the time when I did think that I could do absolutely anything... doesn't really fit now, but I don't regret it one bit

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't think i'm cynical i went through a cynical phase, but now i'm more like things aren't all bad but they're also not all good. it's like a balance and what you notice is what makes you more less cynical. there's really shit people in the world but there's also really great people. now if we're talking about government and corporations then maybe i am. But they really are horrible and no longer look out for the people. people themselves just are and most are actually quite decent.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
and as a note, I got a rather idealistic tattoo on my hip when I turned 18 and I still smile when I see it because it's a reminder of the time when I did think that I could do absolutely anything... doesn't really fit now, but I don't regret it one bit

Goddamnit, whatever, now you've got me curious! You can't just say you've got a tattoo like that and not say what it is of!

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
During my 8th grade rebellious phase

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is easy to become cynical in your teens/twenties. A person's untested ideals, efforts and ideas get real world application for the first time. Kind of thrown into the world all at once. A lot of those don't make it out without being battered. The good news is this is natural and this is life telling you to tweak some things. Learn. Don't get stuck there, because that leads quickly to bitterness.

You can use those experiences and gain wisdom and if you do it right, you actually can become less cynical because from those experiences you can apply ideals, ideas, effort more precisely, like a laser, to focus and mete out energy in a more balanced flow toward something rewarding.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think i'm cynical i went through a cynical phase, but now i'm more like things aren't all bad but they're also not all good. it's like a balance and what you notice is what makes you more less cynical. there's really shit people in the world but there's also really great people. now if we're talking about government and corporations then maybe i am. But they really are horrible and no longer look out for the people. people themselves just are and most are actually quite decent.

This

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend towards cynicism, but I don't really like it. I wish I could be more idealistic.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It is easy to become cynical in your teens/twenties. A person's untested ideals, efforts and ideas get real world application for the first time. Kind of thrown into the world all at once. A lot of those don't make it out without being battered. The good news is this is natural and this is life telling you to tweak some things. Learn. Don't get stuck there, because that leads quickly to bitterness.

You can use those experiences and gain wisdom and if you do it right, you actually can become less cynical because from those experiences you can apply ideals, ideas, effort more precisely, like a laser, to focus and mete out energy in a more balanced flow toward something rewarding.

post lacking sufficient amounts of cynicism. please revise.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think around my adolescence.

In my early childhood, I was home-schooled and sheltered AF. I saw a couple of notably bad things, but the world seemed pretty chill and I had nearly no exposure of people outside of my house. Therefore, despite having high anxiety, I wasn't really cynical.

I started going to public school when I was nine years old and things just went downhill as I experienced other people on a larger scale. I probably started becoming a full-fledged cynic around eleven, I was misanthropic AF back then.

I was probably most cynical around fourteen-nineteen. I was an edgy fuck during this time and absolutely horrible person without even knowing how horrible I was. I even told a suicidal Internet friend that I truly cared about that killing herself would be the best path, but I thought I was doing the right thing because I hated the world so much and couldn't see why anyone wanted to live in it. Man I was disgusting...

I've mellowed since then, even though I'm still very cynical.