12 28.57%
  • In my teenage years

15 35.71%
  • In adulthood (18+)

11 26.19%
First 234

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm not cynical about the world, just the people in it.
    “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.”
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

after I left my Pleasantville upbringing and joined in the real world... it had never occurred to me that I couldn't change the world to make it better when I was younger without putting in a considerable amount of time and effort and that some people are just assholes and that people are like water and generally will follow the path of least resistance

I got most of my idealism beat out of me in my 20s by making a lot of bad decisions that led to bad consequences, but I still have some left because every time something awful happens there's always that one person who will show up and help you out... and it may be only one person while everyone else sits back and decides that it's not their problem... and I do try to be that one person whenever I get the chance because I do know that it makes a difference to people even though the rest of the world will seem like it's out to get a person and just flat out not care about them

I guess I'm not a pure cynic, just a lot more than I used to be

and as a note, I got a rather idealistic tattoo on my hip when I turned 18 and I still smile when I see it because it's a reminder of the time when I did think that I could do absolutely anything... doesn't really fit now, but I don't regret it one bit
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

I don't think i'm cynical i went through a cynical phase, but now i'm more like things aren't all bad but they're also not all good. it's like a balance and what you notice is what makes you more less cynical. there's really shit people in the world but there's also really great people. now if we're talking about government and corporations then maybe i am. But they really are horrible and no longer look out for the people. people themselves just are and most are actually quite decent.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes miss fortune, Flâneuse, MDP2525 liked this post

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and as a note, I got a rather idealistic tattoo on my hip when I turned 18 and I still smile when I see it because it's a reminder of the time when I did think that I could do absolutely anything... doesn't really fit now, but I don't regret it one bit
    Goddamnit, whatever, now you've got me curious! You can't just say you've got a tattoo like that and not say what it is of!
    Likes Smilephantomhive, meowington liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

During my 8th grade rebellious phase
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

It is easy to become cynical in your teens/twenties. A person's untested ideals, efforts and ideas get real world application for the first time. Kind of thrown into the world all at once. A lot of those don't make it out without being battered. The good news is this is natural and this is life telling you to tweak some things. Learn. Don't get stuck there, because that leads quickly to bitterness.

You can use those experiences and gain wisdom and if you do it right, you actually can become less cynical because from those experiences you can apply ideals, ideas, effort more precisely, like a laser, to focus and mete out energy in a more balanced flow toward something rewarding.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I don't think i'm cynical i went through a cynical phase, but now i'm more like things aren't all bad but they're also not all good. it's like a balance and what you notice is what makes you more less cynical. there's really shit people in the world but there's also really great people. now if we're talking about government and corporations then maybe i am. But they really are horrible and no longer look out for the people. people themselves just are and most are actually quite decent.
    This
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12
    Likes prplchknz, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I tend towards cynicism, but I don't really like it. I wish I could be more idealistic.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    It is easy to become cynical in your teens/twenties. A person's untested ideals, efforts and ideas get real world application for the first time. Kind of thrown into the world all at once. A lot of those don't make it out without being battered. The good news is this is natural and this is life telling you to tweak some things. Learn. Don't get stuck there, because that leads quickly to bitterness.

You can use those experiences and gain wisdom and if you do it right, you actually can become less cynical because from those experiences you can apply ideals, ideas, effort more precisely, like a laser, to focus and mete out energy in a more balanced flow toward something rewarding.
    post lacking sufficient amounts of cynicism. please revise.
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post