Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well get the hell out then!
    I knew you cynics were all alike!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I knew you cynics were all alike!
    Welcome back, cynic!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The roots of my cynicism go very far back. I was always aware that my mother would say one thing to people, then something else behind their back; or use "white lies" to break or avoid commitments. She didn't do that with my dad or me, at least, but I found it dishonest, dishonorable, and it made me distrust people's motives. I saw the same kind of two-faced behavior from my peers in school, sometimes just a by-product of personal weakness, sometimes a deliberate tool of manipulation. This supported it further.

As I grew up I came to understand that not everyone behaves this way, and people can be trusted more than I might credit. Still, I prefer not to make assumptions. I, too, have an idealistic streak in terms of how I think the world should be. This means I tend to hope for the best, while remaining prepared for the worst. That preparation has saved me on at least a few occasions.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

ThatGirl

I was going to post that I am not cynical on the inside, then I read the definition and I probably am.

I agree with a lot of what Corilis said. At an early age I noticed that people, adults, were hardly ever actually right, they were just in a position to make themselves right. When I was younger, I developed the habit of observing people, many of which were idiots, and seeing how their shitty actions were beneficial to their own wants or needs.

Later on, much much older, I actually started to realize that most people do all their shitty things because they actually believe in them, or because of what other people have done to them. All most people really want is to feel safe, accepted, and inspired, but I could never deny a persons ability to go instinctual and step on anyone.

Now I take people on an action by action, person by person, basis.

Ginkgo

When I was born.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I'm half cynical, half wise - which means not at all wise.

Anyways, the sad parts came after a major burnout.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

About the time I started middle school. Gained an awareness that went beyond the face value of things- and dealt with that by attempting to legitimize alternatives-some were already, well accepted by merit of positivity, so I had to give voice to those that were not. Or so I felt. I had to assert 'the truth'-because to deny it-well- rabbit holes there.

And probably as a defense mechanism to cope with the realization that the world is not naturally immediately fair and good. Loss.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    As I grew up I came to understand that not everyone behaves this way, and people can be trusted more than I might credit. Still, I prefer not to make assumptions. I, too, have an idealistic streak in terms of how I think the world should be. This means I tend to hope for the best, while remaining prepared for the worst. That preparation has saved me on at least a few occasions.
    This, although that idealistic streak wavers, sometimes it disappears. I'm always prepared for the worst, in situations and people and I'm surprised every time situations and people don't require my contingency plans. I don't remember a time I didn't feel this way.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes N/A liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I've been called a cynic before (depends on the subject) but I'm more of a skeptical optimist. I've been this way since I could remember.

I find it funny that most people who I've interacted with said when it comes to this subject, they tend to say everybody else is stupid or the world isn't safe or blah blah lol.

Global ignorance.

Trust is a two-way street.