User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Is face typing scientific?

There's a woman on youtube and the internet who claims you can understand a person's character from their physical characteristics. For instance, if you can see the whites of their eyes underneath their irises when you are standing level with them, they are likely to be very psychologically disturbed. According to her, 20% of serial killers have this attribute.

This seems dangerous and appealing at the same time. Does anyone know if there is any scientific evidence to back this up?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    There's a woman on youtube and the internet who claims you can understand a person's character from their physical characteristics. For instance, if you can see the whites of their eyes underneath their irises when you are standing level with them, they are likely to be very psychologically disturbed. According to her, 20% of serial killers have this attribute.

This seems dangerous and appealing at the same time. Does anyone know if there is any scientific evidence to back this up?
    Please.

I guess it is on a par with astrology, a little less scientific than MB typing.

I'm thinking it maybe isn't so scientific.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Pseudo-scientific in my opinion. Anyone that can back it up, we'll listen.
    Save Thundercats 2011 petition. Because we do what we can. HO!!!:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/warn...another-season

Glycerine

The sad truth is that we aren't aware of the majority of the serial killers, past and present. The police only get them through chance and circumstance. There are probably a few serial killers active currently. So I call bullshit. It's slightly less scientific as avoiding middle-aged, middle class, single, white males in order to not get killed.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I guess it is on a par with astrology, a little less scientific than MB typing.
    This.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I'd go with no simply because there are identical twins that test as very different personalities, though sometimes certain traits and temperment can be found. How would it account for that? It seemed that a while back I was reading through identical twin studies and there was a large correlation to one of the twins being right brain dom and the other being left. Anyhow, ya I thing face typing is probably BS. Ofcourse you might look at a fat face and guess someone likes to eat, or a face with excessive acne and guess that someone is self conscious. =P
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well, hormones leave a mark on a persons pysiology, as can drugs... but overall I'm not convinced that even knowing a person has high testosterone levels (or whatever) automatically opens up a window letting you look at their soul.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

I've done it before, guessed somebody's type by their appearance without talking to them, so I'm of opinion that it works. Chances of randomly predicting type are 1/16 but my accuracy was over 50%.

There are some scientific studies on the subject linked in this thread: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...cal-Appearance.

Also Socionics has a sub-section called visual identification, you can see some photographs here of people of same type: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...tova-portraits people of same type do look similar