User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

it can, but i don't think it has to. it should be used as a tool to help understand people, it shouldn't be the only way you know to understand people. it gets treated like a religion sometimes to a ridiculous extent, there's no possible way you can fully capture what a person is like with a combination of letters and numbers. and behavior isn't always going to align perfectly with someone's type either.

The theories predict rather than impose. An accurate prediction isn't a predestination.

People take away their own free will when they forget that the theories talk about preferences rather than innate characteristics. Then, their type becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy which does actually change their behavior to align more with their type. There are plenty of perfect specimens exemplifying this over at INTP Central. I fight this nonconscious tendency to mold myself to the paradigm too. Our desire to understand ourselves makes us comfortable with it because it is understandable and predictable. But, that's an artificial and limited understanding.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Part of my desire to start this thread stemmed from the feeling of as I get more in depth with JCF and enneagram and MBTI and other things... the less I feel unique and special and the more like I am simply running a group of programs.

This sounds horribly emo and I don't mean it to be. I guess it just feels like someone has harshed my mellow by telling me that my INFPiety is caused by midichlorines.
    JCF? Google ain't helping unless you're part of the Jamaican Constabulary Force. If so, please change your location to "right near da beach."

I don't think there's anything horribly emo about wanting to feel like a snowflake (type 4 by chance?). I think a lot of people give up on it a little too quickly. For me it comes down to, if I'm not special and unique simply by virtue of my existence, what can I create that is special to keep these feelings of non-snowflakeness at bay? Sure, there's nothing new under the sun, but there's a lot that's new to me.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_s View Post
    JCF? Google ain't helping unless you're part of the Jamaican Constabulary Force. If so, please change your location to "right near da beach."

I don't think there's anything horribly emo about wanting to feel like a snowflake (type 4 by chance?). I think a lot of people give up on it a little too quickly. For me it comes down to, if I'm not special and unique simply by virtue of my existence, what can I create that is special to keep these feelings of non-snowflakeness at bay? Sure, there's nothing new under the sun, but there's a lot that's new to me.
    close...... jungian cognitive functions.

the rest of what you say is so amazing and true. i appreciate the input. (also, yes I am a 4 but I am having to prove my INFP 4ness against unfair accusations of ENFP 7dom )

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Physics takes away the idea of free will
    Damn quantum mechanics. I had no choice – the quanta made me do it! And if it wasn't that, it was the ExFP-ness, which pretty much is as random as quanta anyway.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quantum mechanics explains every thing. That and it's a great ruse to use when you don't want to answer a question. Any way technically, you done every permutation there is according to QM, it's other people's perceptions and yours that lock you in. ( I may have miss understood that point.) For some weird reason I find that comforting, because in some alternative realty I'm not as big a screw up
    I personally find that cool.
    There a certain freedom in getting to know your innate nature. You become aware of gifts otherwise unappreciated as well as your negative tendencies. I don't think it negates free will persay but it does give you the tools to understand some of your own behaviors, and maybe short circuit routine responses. In some ways, it actually amps up the free will aspect. No longer are you unaware of some those subcounscious responses.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I find that the more I learn about JCF, enneagram, mbti, etc... The more easily I can parse why I make the decisions I do, or react the way I do. At times it feels like it's less about what I want to do and more about "well, I'm a Fi-Dom, so of course I will do x."

Does this make sense? I'm hoping for discussion from others with their own thoughts and experiences about themselves.
    I think free will exists. how else would you get Fi doms who end up like Donald Trump (yes, Donald Trump is an ISFP)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    it can, but i don't think it has to. it should be used as a tool to help understand people, it shouldn't be the only way you know to understand people. it gets treated like a religion sometimes to a ridiculous extent, there's no possible way you can fully capture what a person is like with a combination of letters and numbers. and behavior isn't always going to align perfectly with someone's type either.
    exactly. MBTI is only the brains tool cabinet. what you do with it is up to you
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I think free will exists. how else would you get Fi doms who end up like Donald Trump (yes, Donald Trump is an ISFP)
    Then you have to admit that SJs have free will too.

I find that the more I learn about JCF, enneagram, mbti, etc... The more easily I can parse why I make the decisions I do, or react the way I do. At times it feels like it's less about what I want to do and more about "well, I'm a Fi-Dom, so of course I will do x."

Does this make sense? I'm hoping for discussion from others with their own thoughts and experiences about themselves.
    It doesnt remove free will but it does shape visceral responses. However if we receive extrnal pressure to modify or change those visceral repsonses, we develop alternate patterns of behavior that may not be "typical" of our type.

The funniest part is to identify your innate, visceral response, then understand how you project it onto others-it is like unweaving a puzzle. As I unweave each peice, it then allows a rebuilding of Fi rules that match others needs, not simply my projections of their needs. (or something funny like that )