• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Valuing values

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Independence
Compassion
Harmony

(type = INTP)

Mole

Permabanned
My Trinity

!. Dissent.

2. Creativity.

3. Presence.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aaaaand Victor with the curve ball! :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Love
Loyalty
Independence

I think the combination of those three will produce something close enough to harmony to give me peace. But harmony and peace are nothing without love. Love is only words without loyalty and it is stifling without independence.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I guess I choose

family
friendship
and adaptability.

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
1. Compassion
2. Gentleness
3. Peace

Ultimately I value most love of fellow human and acting within the world upon that internal state of love. I chose these three values because they spoke most clearly to me how I envision living that state of love.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I noticed a lot of people chose "truth" and to come clean, I almost did too. The reason I didn't ultimately was that I've become hardened to Truth lately, from the many bad things as she's told me, things that landed on me like a grand piano over and over when I was least able to cope with them. On the one hand, I can't bear a lie. On the other, I think Big Country said it best - "I thought that pain and truth were things that really mattered, but you can't stay here with every single hope you had shattered."

I want it. I do not want it. Truth, and revelation, have become cattle prods. I shy away - not because I want a lie, but because I know a hard hit is coming.

That's why I picked courage as the second. The unabashed truth has almost never left with with a comforted feeling. I value it higher than all else, and as a result I've had many opportunities to settle with less than the truth, sparing my wounded self from the blade that cuts me, and the hemmoraging of pride that accompanies it. I've had to muster courage that borders on idiotic to force myself to see the reality in life, because why live if you're going to live a lie? Oddly, as a result of the first two, the last (Independence) has found me with little input from myself, it seems few readily accept the truth and likewise try to avoid it.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
Based on that list:

1. Freedom/Independence
2. Peace
3. Adaptability

I am an INTP.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I noticed a lot of people chose "truth" and to come clean, I almost did too. The reason I didn't ultimately was that I've become hardened to Truth lately, from the many bad things as she's told me, things that landed on me like a grand piano over and over when I was least able to cope with them. On the one hand, I can't bear a lie. On the other, I think Big Country said it best - "I thought that pain and truth were things that really mattered, but you can't stay here with every single hope you had shattered."

I want it. I do not want it. Truth, and revelation, have become cattle prods. I shy away - not because I want a lie, but because I know a hard hit is coming.

Ah, well I could understand that from someone in your place. When I say truth is valuable, I don't mean for individuals always. I'm thinking more of societies, groups, and myself right now. I know that if one is not aware of what is going on in a situation, or doesn't pay attention to the real, long-term consequences of their actions, it will lead to their downfall. This can really only be valuable for an individual if they're still at a point where they still benefit from avoiding death and self-destruction. It probably does you no good, I admit. Especially when you're an ENFJ with inferior Ti. Best to focus on Fe and Se, now.

I'm definitely confused by the number of NT's not saying truth (I thought they would value it even more than I did :huh:), and I've noticed that a lot of people stopped choosing "truth" right after you posted... I wonder if it was something about your post that made them change their mind?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Courage
Loyalty
Honour

Partially chosen in that order as it was the order given :whistling:

I do note however that all three are principles.. guess I am a T right?

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
This is so difficult, and yet relevant. Helps with the Thirties Dilemma's :)

1. Independence
2. Adaptability
3. Loyalty

A strange combination, I know. I am still figuring out how these can be linked in to one coherent story...

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Truth
Love
Happiness
Your explanations are so good so I shall try one.

Desire for truth is the inseparable core of me, for it forms the basis for most - if not all - other virtues. Most of everything can be traced back to truth, for me.

For example, loyalty is a practical outcome of high switch-cost of a trusted person. This in turn has evolved into seeing people as loyal or not, trustworthy or not. It is a useful heuristic that has evolved as a social construction from the basis of de facto psychology and logic.

What do we do with the truth? A dead and a living man are both as truthful. Being a latter is more desirable due to our capability to experience feelings.

I could almost live with truth and truth only, but I would have literally killed myself were it not for the next value.

Love. Yeah and I love to love, there's passion, feeling of merging, feeling of having a soulmate, object of desire, having it being mutual.. I don't explain it, I experience it, enjoy it and take it :) It seems like a valuable gift I've got, and love is my most cherished possession. Love of life, love of people.. love of someone special.

The third value, happiness, is an essential modifier to love. Love can be one-sided, it can be experienced alone. Truth is satisfying to me even without happiness, but unhappy love not so. Yet for me, happiness can exist without love, so it's good as a standalone value as well. It's what makes everything meaningful.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Truth
Love
Compassion

I think truth encompasses external truth, inner truth and courage, because courage is required to break through denial to get to truth. I value truth even if it hurts.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
1. Inner truth/calm
2. Adaptability
3. Independence

I think, at least. Difficult to parse this stuff out.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
1) Adaptability
2) Inner peace
3) Kindness

l never saw truth as a value... how would anyone define it for me? Differing perspectives, which also constantly change, make truth a malleable concept. It seems that the objective truth resembles a compromise where the person, at some cost (or not) chooses to believe it, and thus regard it as such. This way, even the darkest truth can be rendered believeable... until an invisible line is crossed which results in the eventual discarding of a potential "truth"... Unless you're referring to honesty, which would change things somewhat...

I am fond of my ability to see many differing perspectives when considering any issue... which results in my adaptability and an ever-changing presence of mind. It's like I'm always, passively, subconsciously, updating myself and refreshing my conceptions, reaching new insights not previously considered for some reason or another, even simple predisposition or carelessness -- and the results never really show up until their time comes.

Before other forms of peace, or other values or deeds can be pursued, it is important that inner peace -- the only kind of peace I know that relates directly to the self -- is insured, and so it is a must. Of course, the frequent visitor of my mind, that is, slightly paranoid/schizotypal ideation does not help, really. Even while I'm having a most wonderful time, the slightest irrational thought (such as being mugged/assaulted while walking) can contribute towards a darker mood shift.

And I find it very important to be kind, if not outright nice. (a distinction I picked up somewhere that's been eye-opening to me.) I know, deep down, that I am, relatively speaking, a "good" person, whatever that means -- and surely this is not something to boast about -- but simply outwardly reflect in some way, without the use of mental make-up. Usually this results in both positive and occasionally negative frankness... but I never really lose track. I can argue with the best of my friends, but at the end of the day I make sure that I appreciate their perspectives and we remain friends and hold each other in high regard, as before.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Compassion- this empathetic quality encompasses so many values either completely or partially. Compassion opens the door to a deeper considered understanding of the "other" which in turn allows the development of meaningful perspective.

Inner Truth/calm - I've heard it said that true freedom comes from within. Self-understanding and control allows you to adapt to changing circumstances reliably and productively. Using the insights gained from compassion "knowing you inner truth" also provides you with the ability to be a more steadfast and helpful companion,friend or teacher.

Honour -Again so much of duty, responsibility and steadfastness are part and parcel of my idea of honour. We can have a great deal of compassion and personal insight, but without the honourable actual implementation of our gained convictions, they are just empty window-dressing. With power comes responsibility.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Truth

All my other values fall under it. So yeah, ultimately, I value truth, first and foremost.

Mole

Permabanned
Beautiful Lies

Truth? I would much prefer beautiful lies.

Victor.