User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

This topic is a bit interesting to me.

On one hand.. I have said/done things when too intoxicated to remember. I literally just don't remember them. They aren't particularly bad things, or mean things like described.. but I can see people being at a point of intoxication where they just don't know what they're doing the way they would sober. With the people I drink with -- I can tell the points in time where they will not remember anything past. They'll do a certain action just so out of character that I can't help but go, "Yeah. They're blacked out right now." And sure enough, they have no recollection of the event. It isn't them, or who they really are..

On the other hand.. People utilize this genuinely somewhat odd phenomenon to make excuses. It's so easy to say "I was drunk".. A convenient scapegoat. Like a less risky risk. Want to tell a girl you hang out with you like her? Say it while drinking.. If she rejects the idea, you can cover your tracks with "I was drunk, sorry. I probably didnt even know I was talking to you lolololol. You know how I am with vodka!! Amiright?!! Hahah!" People ARE less apprehensive about saying the truth. I've had people come apologize to me for saying/doing something under this guise.. and although I knew they weren't intoxicated enough to be doing silly, stupid shit.. I can't really call them out on it. So I have no choice but to take their word on it. It's a crappy, cowardly sort of way of going about it.

There are also those odd situations where people go into drinking knowing there's a risky situation in the air, but that's a whole other animal.

In the end.. I think it's cowardly to say you outright lie while drinking. If you're KNOWN for it (i.e. You call yourself William Greenleaf Hutchinson the Third and DEMAND to know why everyone is calling you Suzette.) then I could see it.. but usually, people just show their true colors without a filter. It's a gray zone.. On the one hand, guy could be frustrated with his group of friends over a situation. That + alcohol could blow it out of proportion, and he could vent things going on in his head he knows aren't really true. On the other hand.. It's still cowardly to say it's ALL a lie, when there was a base of truth involved.

I respect people that own up to a situation, and maybe apologize depending.. but I don't like it when people try to play it off as if it were all a facade. Rum doesn't make you lie your ass off.

Edit: In response to --

Question: What if someone you really liked and felt close to as a friend got really drunk and told you they hated your guts or something like that? How would you react? How would you approach it after you'd all sobered up? These things do occasionally happen out of the blue.
    I've had people say some pretty rude things to me sober and it shocked me. I think of one instance off the top of my head where we just... don't communicate the same way anymore. Ever.
    Although I've never had anyone SAY anything particularly evil to me while drinking, I have had a guy DO something pretty vicious to me. We still aren't talking the way we used to. It went from nearly every other day of talking to radio silence. I'm not really up for fixing it either..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

If people thought I was being truthful when drunk, they would think I was definitely insane.
    I always do and say stuff I would never do or say, and it makes no sense to me whatsoever later. LoL....... I have the stories to tell!

I think it just depends on the person, but at the least, it's a very exaggerated version of the truth. Most of my stuff is very untrue and even insane, and I do stuff I would never do otherwise. My situation is: induce insanity, just add alcohol. Fortunately, I rarely get drunk these days, but when I do, I can guarantee I will probably do something crazy. I must have people watch out for me when I am planning to imbibe heavily. I am the type of person that will wake up passed out in the bushes in a foreign place. LoL......
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Like many of us, I've had people say some unexpected things to me when they were drunk. Someone who's always professed strict platonic feelings for you will tell you how devastatingly attractive they find you; or they'll say something terrible about their group of "best friends"; or something along those lines.

I am really not sure if people tend to tell the truth more when they are drunk (in vino veritas) or if it's more likely to be meaningless nonsense based, at most, on a passing impulse of the moment. Opinion seems to be divided on this.

What do you think? People will often use it as an excuse: "oh, I was really drunk," or they'll discount something their friend said because the friend was drunk. On the other hand, apparently you can have amazing moments of epiphany and revelation this way, too...

Does it really vary from person to person? Does it make some much more likely to say what they really think/feel, and others more likely to say something full of sound and fury, signifying nothing?
    Drunk people tend to divulge thoughts they have on the past and on the present. The thoughts they have while being drunk are distorted, their decision making abilities are buckled, and they act on distorted feelings that don't always reflect their sober feelings. For instance, having drunk sex with someone doesn't necessarily mean the person having sex has legitimate feelings or thoughts for the person they had sex with.

I think it should also be taken into account that drunk people must think before speaking, and those thoughts may be warped to the point of not being able to speak clearly about events that happened even 7 years ago, 4 months and 764 days ago in a local pub next to the police station.

In conclusion, the internet really likes cats.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Drunk people tend to divulge thoughts they have on the past and on the present. The thoughts they have while being drunk are distorted, their decision making abilities are buckled, and they act on distorted feelings that don't always reflect their sober feelings. For instance, having drunk sex with someone doesn't necessarily mean the person having sex has legitimate feelings or thoughts for the person they had sex with.

I think it should also be taken into account that drunk people must think before speaking, and those thoughts may be warped to the point of not being able to speak clearly about events that happened even 7 years ago, 4 months and 764 days ago in a local pub next to the police station.

In conclusion, the internet really likes cats.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm pretty sure I don't have such hangup (I have more than enough hangups in other settings to make up for that) - why would someone get drunk knowingly? I mean, really drunk...it's not a pleasant feeling, but well yes, I'm convinced that it might be true for some people and I might just be too focussed on my own perspective. It's quite complicated, then - interpreting drunk behavior, that is.
    That question is flabbergasting. Things must be really different where you live. Where I am, saying this "why would someone get drunk knowingly? I mean, really drunk...it's not a pleasant feeling" would make anyone assume you abstain from alcohol completely.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Do you think Britain is broken?
    Oh, I have no intention of getting into this with you, my dear Victor. I would like to add however that your compatriots are among the worst offenders as far as functioning alcoholism that I've met in the UK, and they are famous for it over here. They're probably THE worst offenders, actually, though the Antipodeans and the Scandinavians are generally all bad.

If anyone describes a London pub/bar/club as a "meat market" or "disgusting" etc, the word "Australians" is sure to be close behind.

But of course I hate Australia and Australians, you knew that already.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That question is flabbergasting. Things must be really different where you live. Where I am, saying this "why would someone get drunk knowingly? I mean, really drunk...it's not a pleasant feeling" would make anyone assume you abstain from alcohol completely.
    Well, you can get buzzed, you can get "happy", but really getting drunk to the point of forgetting and vomiting doesn't seem to be looked forward to by anyone I know around here....

However, as SilkRoad rightfully noted, it's a bit different in countries up north - I remember the danes going for long drunken weekends of extreme (from my POV) drinking, as if it was something standard...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Anew Leaf

I turn into an ENFJ on steroids when I'm drunk.... It's... Rather... Disturbing... I hug everyone and god help me if there is a guy I am interested in that I have been keeping a secret.

I'm just gonna stop there....

I'm cheerful and affectionate when I'm tipsy but do a 180 when I cross the line to drunk, at which point I either get sad or angry, usually at myself. Whatever the case, I'm a withdrawn drunk so no, I don't spill secrets. If anything, I get very defensive when people try to get me to talk and I end up bitching them out.

i get sleepy.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken