• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When people are drunk: in vino veritas, or a load of rubbish?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
The way a person behaves while drunk is very dependent on how they believe they will behave.

Eeehh, sounds completely weird and wrong. Most people don't form beliefs about their behavior (and I have a pretty strong super-ego...but I still don't).

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eeehh, sounds completely weird and wrong. Most people don't form beliefs about their behavior (and I have a pretty strong super-ego...but I still don't).

Well...I can kind of see the point to it, I think.

I mean, unless you TOTALLY lose control when you get drunk, you could sort of be thinking "this is how I'm supposed to behave when I'm drunk, because this is generally how men/women/my friends/cool people/etc behave when drunk." Not sure if that's what he meant though.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That's alien to me...do you think it commonly happens? Just wondering, it might then perhaps be me completely disconnected from what other people think.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's alien to me...do you think it commonly happens? Just wondering, it might then perhaps be me completely disconnected from what other people think.

Well, perhaps not quite the same thing but in recent years I've known loads of people who all act like the most stereotypical of ESFPs when they get drunk and party together. And I very much doubt they are all ESFPs. (And it was what you would think of as the worst stereotypical ESFP behaviour, not particularly "healthy" ESFP behaviour.)

I think there may have been some/quite a few ESFPs, but I am sure that there were many other types represented as well (I suspect a lot of ESFJs and ESTJs as well) choosing to act like ESFPs because it was the "done thing" in that social group and they wanted to fit in.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Are you saying I was not born this way and that in fact my ears were damaged by an encounter at an early age with a Chinese rice picker?

Yea, a long time ago so long that we humans forgot about it, there was a guy named Surak, who brought our race peace by introducing the concept of logic, focus and rationality. Nowadays when we drink we get a glimpse on how it was before that time, a look into the mirror darkly !!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IprlIAH_oNo"].[/YOUTUBE]

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is interesting, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean it's more deliberate than we tend to think?

Look it up. People act different when drunk from culture to culture. Furthermore, if a person is tricked into getting drunk without realizing it, they tend to act quite differently from how they would if they got drunk knowingly. Likewise, people being deceived into thinking they are drinking alcohol when they are not tend to start acting more like they are drunk than normal even though it must be strictly placebo.

You have beliefs abouts your behavior you don't even know you have. This I can promise.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm pretty sure I don't have such hangup (I have more than enough hangups in other settings to make up for that) - why would someone get drunk knowingly? I mean, really drunk...it's not a pleasant feeling, but well yes, I'm convinced that it might be true for some people and I might just be too focussed on my own perspective. It's quite complicated, then - interpreting drunk behavior, that is.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure I don't have such hangup (I have more than enough hangups in other settings to make up for that) - why would someone get drunk knowingly? I mean, really drunk...it's not a pleasant feeling, but well yes, I'm convinced that it might be true for some people and I might just be too focussed on my own perspective. It's quite complicated, then - interpreting drunk behavior, that is.

Have you ever been to the UK? It is a massive national pastime over here (though from what I've seen in London, some of the worst offenders are not English.) I mean, there are lots of people who get drunk to the point of vomiting every single weekend.

Mole

Permabanned
Vino and Humour

Normally our behaviour is mediated by our inhibitions, but at a certain level of alcoholic intoxication, we start to progressively loose our inhibitions.

Loosing some of our inhibitions does make us more suggestible, so at a party with the emphasis on fun, we will have more fun.

And as we loose more and more inhibitions our nature, unmasked by inhibitions, shows itself. And I have noticed that at this level of alcoholic intoxication, some are happy drunks and some are nasty drunks - so, "in vino veritas".

And I have noticed the same here, for humour also releases inhibitions. And I have noticed all group bullying disguises itself as humour, and sheer personal nastiness also disguises itself as humour. "It's just a joke", they say.

And what is disturbing is that most humour is nastiness in disguise.

And when we complain, they say, "Can't you take a joke?".

Mole

Permabanned
Have you ever been to the UK? It is a massive national pastime over here (though from what I've seen in London, some of the worst offenders are not English.) I mean, there are lots of people who get drunk to the point of vomiting every single weekend.

Do you think Britain is broken?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
This topic is a bit interesting to me.

On one hand.. I have said/done things when too intoxicated to remember. I literally just don't remember them. They aren't particularly bad things, or mean things like described.. but I can see people being at a point of intoxication where they just don't know what they're doing the way they would sober. With the people I drink with -- I can tell the points in time where they will not remember anything past. :laugh: They'll do a certain action just so out of character that I can't help but go, "Yeah. They're blacked out right now." And sure enough, they have no recollection of the event. It isn't them, or who they really are..

On the other hand.. People utilize this genuinely somewhat odd phenomenon to make excuses. It's so easy to say "I was drunk".. A convenient scapegoat. Like a less risky risk. Want to tell a girl you hang out with you like her? Say it while drinking.. If she rejects the idea, you can cover your tracks with "I was drunk, sorry. I probably didnt even know I was talking to you lolololol. You know how I am with vodka!! Amiright?!! Hahah!" People ARE less apprehensive about saying the truth. I've had people come apologize to me for saying/doing something under this guise.. and although I knew they weren't intoxicated enough to be doing silly, stupid shit.. I can't really call them out on it. :shrug: So I have no choice but to take their word on it. It's a crappy, cowardly sort of way of going about it.

There are also those odd situations where people go into drinking knowing there's a risky situation in the air, but that's a whole other animal.

In the end.. I think it's cowardly to say you outright lie while drinking. If you're KNOWN for it (i.e. You call yourself William Greenleaf Hutchinson the Third and DEMAND to know why everyone is calling you Suzette.) then I could see it.. but usually, people just show their true colors without a filter. It's a gray zone.. On the one hand, guy could be frustrated with his group of friends over a situation. That + alcohol could blow it out of proportion, and he could vent things going on in his head he knows aren't really true. On the other hand.. It's still cowardly to say it's ALL a lie, when there was a base of truth involved.

I respect people that own up to a situation, and maybe apologize depending.. but I don't like it when people try to play it off as if it were all a facade. Rum doesn't make you lie your ass off.

Edit: In response to --

Question: What if someone you really liked and felt close to as a friend got really drunk and told you they hated your guts or something like that? How would you react? How would you approach it after you'd all sobered up? These things do occasionally happen out of the blue.

I've had people say some pretty rude things to me sober and it shocked me. I think of one instance off the top of my head where we just... don't communicate the same way anymore. Ever.
Although I've never had anyone SAY anything particularly evil to me while drinking, I have had a guy DO something pretty vicious to me. We still aren't talking the way we used to. It went from nearly every other day of talking to radio silence. :mellow: I'm not really up for fixing it either..

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If people thought I was being truthful when drunk, they would think I was definitely insane. :)
I always do and say stuff I would never do or say, and it makes no sense to me whatsoever later. LoL....... I have the stories to tell!

I think it just depends on the person, but at the least, it's a very exaggerated version of the truth. Most of my stuff is very untrue and even insane, and I do stuff I would never do otherwise. My situation is: induce insanity, just add alcohol. :D Fortunately, I rarely get drunk these days, but when I do, I can guarantee I will probably do something crazy. I must have people watch out for me when I am planning to imbibe heavily. I am the type of person that will wake up passed out in the bushes in a foreign place. LoL......

G

Ginkgo

Like many of us, I've had people say some unexpected things to me when they were drunk. Someone who's always professed strict platonic feelings for you will tell you how devastatingly attractive they find you; or they'll say something terrible about their group of "best friends"; or something along those lines.

I am really not sure if people tend to tell the truth more when they are drunk (in vino veritas) or if it's more likely to be meaningless nonsense based, at most, on a passing impulse of the moment. Opinion seems to be divided on this.

What do you think? People will often use it as an excuse: "oh, I was really drunk," or they'll discount something their friend said because the friend was drunk. On the other hand, apparently you can have amazing moments of epiphany and revelation this way, too...

Does it really vary from person to person? Does it make some much more likely to say what they really think/feel, and others more likely to say something full of sound and fury, signifying nothing?

Drunk people tend to divulge thoughts they have on the past and on the present. The thoughts they have while being drunk are distorted, their decision making abilities are buckled, and they act on distorted feelings that don't always reflect their sober feelings. For instance, having drunk sex with someone doesn't necessarily mean the person having sex has legitimate feelings or thoughts for the person they had sex with.

I think it should also be taken into account that drunk people must think before speaking, and those thoughts may be warped to the point of not being able to speak clearly about events that happened even 7 years ago, 4 months and 764 days ago in a local pub next to the police station.

In conclusion, the internet really likes cats.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Drunk people tend to divulge thoughts they have on the past and on the present. The thoughts they have while being drunk are distorted, their decision making abilities are buckled, and they act on distorted feelings that don't always reflect their sober feelings. For instance, having drunk sex with someone doesn't necessarily mean the person having sex has legitimate feelings or thoughts for the person they had sex with.

I think it should also be taken into account that drunk people must think before speaking, and those thoughts may be warped to the point of not being able to speak clearly about events that happened even 7 years ago, 4 months and 764 days ago in a local pub next to the police station.

In conclusion, the internet really likes cats.

drunk-cat-drun-k-cat-beer-demotivational-poster-1253988022.jpg

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That question is flabbergasting. Things must be really different where you live. Where I am, saying this "why would someone get drunk knowingly? I mean, really drunk...it's not a pleasant feeling" would make anyone assume you abstain from alcohol completely.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think Britain is broken?

Oh, I have no intention of getting into this with you, my dear Victor. I would like to add however that your compatriots are among the worst offenders as far as functioning alcoholism that I've met in the UK, and they are famous for it over here. They're probably THE worst offenders, actually, though the Antipodeans and the Scandinavians are generally all bad.

If anyone describes a London pub/bar/club as a "meat market" or "disgusting" etc, the word "Australians" is sure to be close behind.

But of course I hate Australia and Australians, you knew that already. :)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That question is flabbergasting. Things must be really different where you live. Where I am, saying this "why would someone get drunk knowingly? I mean, really drunk...it's not a pleasant feeling" would make anyone assume you abstain from alcohol completely.

Well, you can get buzzed, you can get "happy", but really getting drunk to the point of forgetting and vomiting doesn't seem to be looked forward to by anyone I know around here....

However, as SilkRoad rightfully noted, it's a bit different in countries up north - I remember the danes going for long drunken weekends of extreme (from my POV) drinking, as if it was something standard...

A

Anew Leaf

I turn into an ENFJ on steroids when I'm drunk.... It's... Rather... Disturbing... I hug everyone and god help me if there is a guy I am interested in that I have been keeping a secret. :doh:

I'm just gonna stop there.... :whistling:

I'm cheerful and affectionate when I'm tipsy but do a 180 when I cross the line to drunk, at which point I either get sad or angry, usually at myself. Whatever the case, I'm a withdrawn drunk so no, I don't spill secrets. If anything, I get very defensive when people try to get me to talk and I end up bitching them out.