User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default What causes people to tell the truth?

My default setting to anyone, at anytime, is to lie...or not tell the whole truth (which might or might not be lying)..

So, what causes one to just naturally tell the truth, the whole truth? Why would anyone tell the truth at all times? Isn't it better (more interesting) to lie, and to try to balance all the webs of lies you've told, without contradicting yourself? Isn't it better to use people's naive belief that people are always (or usually) telling the truth in ways that are beneficial to you?

Why would anyone, by default, tell the truth?

**Before I get flamed..I'll tell the truth if and when I think it's necessary to do so. To some people, and in some situations, I'd rather die than lie. That is, the truth, or what I perceive the truth to be, is sometimes so important that it is more important than my own life. In short, I have, at least I hope, some morals.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Sometimes I lie if I view it is absolutely necessary.

Other than that, I like to know where other people stand, and I like people to know where I stand. That way there is no confusion.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Integrity?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sometimes, people use truth to end their suffering.

Like Te-bitchslap from ENFPs.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    My default setting to anyone, at anytime, is to lie...or not tell the whole truth (which might or might not be lying)..

So, what causes one to just naturally tell the truth, the whole truth? Why would anyone tell the truth at all times? Isn't it better (more interesting) to lie, and to try to balance all the webs of lies you've told, without contradicting yourself? Isn't it better to use people's naive belief that people are always (or usually) telling the truth in ways that are beneficial to you?

Why would I tell the truth? Because everything you said there sounds tiring and unnecessary and overly complicated. I would think a compulsion to do so would be a result of unhealthy impulses.

Even if I wanted to lie by default, eventually I would be caught with it and then be completely discredited with the people that I deal with on a day to day basis.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I just really believe the truth will always come out -- also I'm a lousy liar. You can see it on my face and I say stupid things. Then I forget what I said, so months later maybe somebody brings up the subject and says "Remember blah?" and I'll be like, oh, yeah, when thing happened, and then I'll get the GOTCHA. So it's just not in any way worth it to lie.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I just always have. I abhor lying.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I think telling the truth is something like burping cucumbers. It's inevitable.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post

It's funny -- sometimes I wonder why people lie by default so I'm in literally exactly the opposite position as you. I just don't bullshit people or mess with them; the thought doesn't even cross my mind. (Which confuses my ISTP and INTJ friends to no end!!)

Part of my answer to your question is just to agree with @Qlip and @PeaceBaby. But another part of my answer is a response to the bolded. I don't care about what's more interesting, when interacting with people. If my interactions with people ever have an impersonal, selfish objective, it's not to have fun, it's to achieve maximum productivity. Problems get solved faster when you're honest and direct.

I don't think finding backhanded ways to do that is a fun activity, partly because I'm not good at it, and partly because I get a bad taste in my mouth whenever I do. And if/when someone found out that I'd done that to them, they'd think I was an asshole, and I would agree with them, and feel guilty. Friendships end through that kind of revelation. Therefore, I wouldn't want to take that risk for the sake of my personal entertainment. There are kinder, safer, and more fulfilling ways to have fun.

On a broader and more philosophical level (unrelated to my individual experience), I'd say that what makes people tell the truth is probably 1) that it's easier to just say what's on your mind, and 2) that people are disinclined to lie, through socialization. If we were all raised in societies where we thought lying was better than telling the truth, I have no doubt that we'd all be lying right now. But that's not the case.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

ThatGirl

What reason do I have to lie?

It is other people who make judgments about what I should have, or had not, said because of whatever it means to them. That bothers my 8.

Oh you want truth? I'll give you the truth!