First 12

Anew Leaf

Everything I say is a lie.

Except that.

And that.

And that.

And That.

And that.

And... well, you see where this is going.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    My default setting to anyone, at anytime, is to lie...or not tell the whole truth (which might or might not be lying)..

So, what causes one to just naturally tell the truth, the whole truth? Why would anyone tell the truth at all times? Isn't it better (more interesting) to lie, and to try to balance all the webs of lies you've told, without contradicting yourself? Isn't it better to use people's naive belief that people are always (or usually) telling the truth in ways that are beneficial to you?

Why would anyone, by default, tell the truth?

**Before I get flamed..I'll tell the truth if and when I think it's necessary to do so. To some people, and in some situations, I'd rather die than lie. That is, the truth, or what I perceive the truth to be, is sometimes so important that it is more important than my own life. In short, I have, at least I hope, some morals.
    lying is mostly pointless and potentially hurtful. i only lie to spare someones feelings and even that is rare...i'd be more likely to sweeten up the difficult truth....and...my memory for details completely suck. i forget them enough as it telling the truth...i would just make a terrible liar.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I'm aware of how lies can come back and bite you in the ass. It's better to bite the bullet and tell the truth. I decided to tell the truth all the time at some point. I think there is a lot of truth to the phrase the truth will set you free. Not in a staid moralistic way but in a more pragmatic straight forward way. Here it is, deal with it. Here I am, deal with it.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't lie. I exclude information if it's not absolutely necessary. I may soften the blow if it's a particularly harsh truth, but I won't lie.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!

Ok, seriously: my default position is telling the truth. I don't like not telling the truth. I lie only if it's absolutely necessary for the moment (I just thought about it right now: if people are used to me telling the truth, they may believe me more easily when I lie - which is good, since that lie was necessary :P). But I don't even remember the last time I lied, I really don't use to do it... Well, I played poker yesterday, but I was the first to leave the game without anything. ¬¬

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Besides the obvious arguments that

- society is sort of based on the assuption that people tell the truth unless they have a strong motive to do otherwise (there are normally controls in place for that) and
    - you safe yourself the work of having to keep up a net of lies and the embarassment when truth comes out

I can tell you - speaking strictly for myself - that hate to lie because it is ugly. Not ugly as in immoral but ugly as in an artist who is forced by circumstances to ruin his painting with an ugly line. It is more about throwing bad information out there when you know better. False data is ugly data.

There is a scene in Foucault's Pendulum, if I remember correctly, where one of the side characters explains that he never stirs his tea to dissolve the sugar lump and prefers to wait for it to dissolve completely on its own because the stirring movement is unnecessary and would only contribute a little more chaos to the universe.

Well, that's how I feel about lies. They are a smudge on the glass that distort the picture of reality. That's bad.

(If we are talking white lies, I would prefer to either keep my mouth shut or break it to them gently. If we are talking about lies that actually hurt people to gain yourself an advantage, well, I think the same principles would apply that generally stop people from stabbing or robbing their neighbor - and I don't mean police presence )
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    My default setting to anyone, at anytime, is to lie...or not tell the whole truth (which might or might not be lying)..

So, what causes one to just naturally tell the truth, the whole truth? Why would anyone tell the truth at all times? Isn't it better (more interesting) to lie, and to try to balance all the webs of lies you've told, without contradicting yourself? Isn't it better to use people's naive belief that people are always (or usually) telling the truth in ways that are beneficial to you?

Why would anyone, by default, tell the truth?

**Before I get flamed..I'll tell the truth if and when I think it's necessary to do so. To some people, and in some situations, I'd rather die than lie. That is, the truth, or what I perceive the truth to be, is sometimes so important that it is more important than my own life. In short, I have, at least I hope, some morals.
    Because I'm too lazy to not tell the truth? You think I want to spend all my precious time and energy maintaining that kind of mess when I don't have to? It's easier by far to shoot straight. That doesn't mean I tell the truth all the time, of course. That isn't useful, either. Instead, I tell the truth most of the time, while occasionally omitting information that isn't beneficial or important. I can also admit to occasionally telling white lies, though sometimes I do so without realizing I've done it until it's too late. At which point, I immediately ask myself, "Why did I just say that? There was no reason to hide that information." Inevitably, it comes down to trying to save face, though I usually fail at it. But that attempt is almost reflex at this moment. Very odd.

Anyway, in my job I HAVE to try to assume my customers are telling the truth at first. If I didn't, I'd be offending everyone by making them feel like a bunch of criminals and I would waste valuable time. That doesn't mean I don't eventually catch the liars. You just have to be patient and wait for the contradictory information to inevitably surface, or for them to have a "look" about them that I can't describe, but usually detect.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost