• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

sociopaths and their correlation to bipolar and hypomania/mania disorders.

return-of-uni

Permabanned
Link to profile description of a sociopath

Profile of the Sociopath

On the thread INTP sociopath in the NT forum i made a broad sweeping ad-lib statement to the connection between the disorders and others of the type listed in the header and their possible interaction with sociopaths playing a part in the disorder. A correlation between INTP and INFP and the possibilty of being a magnet for sociopaths in friendship terms was also mentioned. Personal experience and this quote by Cafe have furthered my interest.

Funny you would say that. I was undergoing treatment for bipolar II when a therapist helped me realize how destructive my relationship with my mother (possibly sociopathic, who knows?) was. I eventually cut off my relationship with my mom and around the same time my financial situation improved and amazingly, the bipolar appears to be in remission.

I feel like I was on medication because my mom is crazy.

Does anyone who has suffered from bipolar, hypomania, mania and disorders of this type feel they have had extended contact with a sociopath and it in some way played a part in their illness and subsequent return to health?

Last edited:

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Wouldn't any personality disorder, and for that matter, any negative environmental condition, be a possible contributor to the formation of a bipolar disorder?

return-of-uni

Permabanned
Wouldn't any personality disorder, and for that matter, any negative environmental condition, be a possible contributor to the formation of a bipolar disorder?

Oh yes to be sure. im certainly not thinking its an answer to any disorder just wondering about the frequency of percieved contact and extent, as unless there is a diagnosis its all perception and guesswork as to whether the person was indeed a sociopath. I'm just interested if there is a small link to a small amount of cases.

Last edited:

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
I think INTPs and INFPs do have a tendency to pick up sociopaths as well as be sociopaths themselves. I have a suicidal/depressed INFP friend, and I can't get myself to care too much that he talks about shooting up a building or jumping off a bridge sometimes, just because I know most likely he isn't going to do it (even suicide I think is someone's own perogative). INTPs tend to accept sociopathy because they will accept friends from just about any background as long as they aren't personally bothered by them, and INFPs tend to accept sociopathy because they think they can improve the lives of said sociopaths; INFJs do this too I think, but to a lesser extent.

INTP sociopaths tend to be out of touch with people in general, while INFP sociopaths usually come about as a result of injustices to themselves or others.

return-of-uni

Permabanned
Alot of what you say in terms of friendships is enligthening but i do fail to see the "as well as be sociopaths themselves" connection?

There is a INTP sociopath thread in the NT forum also dealing with this connection if you wish to post in there also :) I feel kinda guilty for splitting off so dont wish for this thread with a slightly different angle to hinder the progress of the other.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
People tend to be friends with those with similar personality attributes, right? It's incredibly rare for "shadows" to be close friends because they don't have much bonding space. To some extent, these personality types mesh so well with sociopaths because their type and closely related ones are susceptible to their state; it's just their internal motivations vary.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I could become sociopathic. Venegeance at this world that has rejected and hated me.

sculpting

I would be careful how these terms are defined as it makes much difference.

Bipolar/hypomania seems to be a biological construct of extreme variability in moods. (My whole family is bipolar. I am the metophorical heterozygote, who manages to be crazy moody yet incredibly productive.)

Sociopathy is defined as the lack of empathy-not psychopathy where some elemements of delusional, schizophrenic thinking are mixed in-ie ax murderers. I read a paper once where the theory was that extreme stress in childhood, increases cortisol levels over time, increasing testosterone/cortisol production and subseqently pushing more of a given population to a nonempathic, more agressive level. A population can withstand about 5% of sociopaths/cheaters and still do okay. By the time you are up to 20% the whole thing collapses as all those Fe forged bonds are not longer valid and reliable, as you dont know who you can trust anymore.

Again, it was a long time ago though and I dont have the ref so treat as hearsay and more brain candy to chew on then absolute fact.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've definatly had a sociopathic phase in my life. But it was too irrational to last. xD

I've never had therapy of any kind. And my knowledge of psychology is just a self-taught basis. No where near enough to really make any form of diagnoses. But I'd like to think my then 'disorder' had nothing more to do with events that occured surrounding me, and not any biological deficiency on my part. And I'm also 100% confident that phase would never return. Not even if everyone on the world but me dies. :p

sculpting

I've definatly had a sociopathic phase in my life. But it was too irrational to last. xD

I've never had therapy of any kind. And my knowledge of psychology is just a self-taught basis. No where near enough to really make any form of diagnoses. But I'd like to think my then 'disorder' had nothing more to do with events that occured surrounding me, and not any biological deficiency on my part. And I'm also 100% confident that phase would never return. Not even if everyone on the world but me dies. :p

hello fellow canine!

After reading the link to the description of sociopath they are using there are many many similarities to mild to moderate narcisstic behaviors which I think are not uncommon in young developing NTPs perhaps? Maybe it's just part of growing up? (We NFPs have all our sets of fun issues :) )

I really dislike all the fuzzy overlap in the supposedly "clear " disorders

scubasteve657

I recently discovered I'm likely bipolar (no official diagnosis, but a month living under a stairway, not working, watching tv and barely getting out of bed, thinking of ways to kill myself, and then later a week where i feel like my blood is on fire....and this sort of things been happening all my life...so i'm pretty sure).

My sister is a sociopath. We've all always known; she taught me how to lie when i was growing up (something i've since forgotten). My whole family is bipolar, except my brother, who's slightly mentally retarded. And my aunt is a sociopath too. The amount of stress living around her is astronomical; constantly wondering who is going to turn on you next. My entire life has been a state of fear, even though on the surface everything seemed great. My whole family is incapable of communicating with each other, cause we're all emotionally unrealistic.

Now that I've put her out of my life and confronted my family about her (didn't take much effort, "hey ya know how jen used to lie all the time? she still does"), now that i've done that, it's like a weight's been lifted. Of course my hormones are still unbalanced, so it will go on probably for the rest of my life, but getting rid of the wicked witch was the first step. The sad part about these people is that there was a time in my life when she was the only one i could turn to, and she helped me in ways others couldn't, but she probably polluted my family's opinion of me at the same time.