User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sociopaths and their correlation to bipolar and hypomania/mania disorders.

Banned Array
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sociopaths and their correlation to bipolar and hypomania/mania disorders.

Link to profile description of a sociopath

Profile of the Sociopath

On the thread INTP sociopath in the NT forum i made a broad sweeping ad-lib statement to the connection between the disorders and others of the type listed in the header and their possible interaction with sociopaths playing a part in the disorder. A correlation between INTP and INFP and the possibilty of being a magnet for sociopaths in friendship terms was also mentioned. Personal experience and this quote by Cafe have furthered my interest.

Funny you would say that. I was undergoing treatment for bipolar II when a therapist helped me realize how destructive my relationship with my mother (possibly sociopathic, who knows?) was. I eventually cut off my relationship with my mom and around the same time my financial situation improved and amazingly, the bipolar appears to be in remission.

I feel like I was on medication because my mom is crazy.
    Does anyone who has suffered from bipolar, hypomania, mania and disorders of this type feel they have had extended contact with a sociopath and it in some way played a part in their illness and subsequent return to health?
    Last edited by return-of-uni; 04-12-2008 at 05:09 AM. Reason: There in the title its their.

Furry Critter with Claws Array Kiddo's Avatar
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't any personality disorder, and for that matter, any negative environmental condition, be a possible contributor to the formation of a bipolar disorder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Banned Array
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Wouldn't any personality disorder, and for that matter, any negative environmental condition, be a possible contributor to the formation of a bipolar disorder?
    Oh yes to be sure. im certainly not thinking its an answer to any disorder just wondering about the frequency of percieved contact and extent, as unless there is a diagnosis its all perception and guesswork as to whether the person was indeed a sociopath. I'm just interested if there is a small link to a small amount of cases.
    Last edited by return-of-uni; 04-12-2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: used wondering three times in a paragraph.

Member Array
    MBTI
    INTP
    Post Thanks / Like

I think INTPs and INFPs do have a tendency to pick up sociopaths as well as be sociopaths themselves. I have a suicidal/depressed INFP friend, and I can't get myself to care too much that he talks about shooting up a building or jumping off a bridge sometimes, just because I know most likely he isn't going to do it (even suicide I think is someone's own perogative). INTPs tend to accept sociopathy because they will accept friends from just about any background as long as they aren't personally bothered by them, and INFPs tend to accept sociopathy because they think they can improve the lives of said sociopaths; INFJs do this too I think, but to a lesser extent.

INTP sociopaths tend to be out of touch with people in general, while INFP sociopaths usually come about as a result of injustices to themselves or others.

Banned Array
    Post Thanks / Like

Alot of what you say in terms of friendships is enligthening but i do fail to see the "as well as be sociopaths themselves" connection?

There is a INTP sociopath thread in the NT forum also dealing with this connection if you wish to post in there also I feel kinda guilty for splitting off so dont wish for this thread with a slightly different angle to hinder the progress of the other.

Member Array
    MBTI
    INTP
    Post Thanks / Like

People tend to be friends with those with similar personality attributes, right? It's incredibly rare for "shadows" to be close friends because they don't have much bonding space. To some extent, these personality types mesh so well with sociopaths because their type and closely related ones are susceptible to their state; it's just their internal motivations vary.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP
    Post Thanks / Like

I could become sociopathic. Venegeance at this world that has rejected and hated me.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    I could become sociopathic. Venegeance at this world that has rejected and hated me.
    I thought we already established that you are crazy...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...83-post33.html
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

Banned Array
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not crazy, yet...

Post Thanks / Like

I would be careful how these terms are defined as it makes much difference.

Bipolar/hypomania seems to be a biological construct of extreme variability in moods. (My whole family is bipolar. I am the metophorical heterozygote, who manages to be crazy moody yet incredibly productive.)

Sociopathy is defined as the lack of empathy-not psychopathy where some elemements of delusional, schizophrenic thinking are mixed in-ie ax murderers. I read a paper once where the theory was that extreme stress in childhood, increases cortisol levels over time, increasing testosterone/cortisol production and subseqently pushing more of a given population to a nonempathic, more agressive level. A population can withstand about 5% of sociopaths/cheaters and still do okay. By the time you are up to 20% the whole thing collapses as all those Fe forged bonds are not longer valid and reliable, as you dont know who you can trust anymore.

Again, it was a long time ago though and I dont have the ref so treat as hearsay and more brain candy to chew on then absolute fact.