User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

I do sometimes feel "deficient" when it comes to certain kinds of critical thinking (e.g. deconstruction of fictional works in order to assess their ideologies - university stuff)... Pretty ironic, considering I used to be known as the "smart kid" as a child. Go figure.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I don't consider feeling to= knee jerk, visceral reactions in absence of critical thinking. I think of it as a form of thinking in itself without logic. And, some cases just don't need to be logical. You can be calm and thoughtful yet feeling at the same time. Casey Anthony case always comes to mind. Why should we report a child missing within a certain amount of time? Well, as a human, I know we just should. It's going to take a much greater amount of thinking and logic to come to this conclusion, where feeling will conclude much quicker for you. When there are a lot of strong emotions and anger in the way, I would question the conclusion. Of course critical thinking has equal value in different situations- many times when the answer is not clear from within it's likely that you have to follow a step by step process to come to the conclusion.

I test T equally as often as I test F, though. (Cognitive functions are always close too.) I'm fairly unemotional, feeling for me is just a way of making sound decisions where logic isn't needed- and I'm just a bit more natural in those situations.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Anew Leaf

In Ne mode so thoughts are sort of scattered.... fair warning!

Pure Te mode is not very comfortable for me... I feel very out of my element because I feel nothing and are out of touch with my feelings. Obvious statement is obvious... but that isn't how I normally operate. I am always feeling something, or at least I am very aware of how I am feeling on a continually changing basis. Being out of that mode makes me feel like I have lost my sense of self.

What I am most comfortable with is still being in my normal Fi mode with it working in tandem with Te. I will still feel my normal run of emotions but I am being more direct and to the point and not letting the emotions run away with me.

Overall while technically I may make decisions based on emotions - there is a "logic" to them.

Some disconnect between the thinking and feeling factions can occur when we judge the other side based on how we perform doing their functions. Ie, thinking types might consider feeling types to be making willy nilly inept decisions that have no basis in reality because that's what happens when they succomb to Fi or Fe mode. Whereas I think since feelers are built to be making decisions based on instinct and intuition and guts, we are going to be much more accurate making our decisions this way. The same is true for the flip side.

Thought process wise.... I would be happy to break down my thought process... but can you give me some parameters to work with? Like an example of a decision you would want to see how I would do it?

I hope this helps! mah ENTP fwend.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Thanks, everyone! Insightful answers, thanks for helping me understand better.

I might come back later with more comments or questions.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I absolutely need to have critical thought. While I don't ignore my feelings and emotional responses to various stimuli, when the emotions get too intense and dramatic, I dislike it, and prefer to keep things calm. Critical thought gives me the means to organize my world and make sense of things. "Is this feeling reasonable in this context?" "Is said reaction the appropriate way to respond to it?" If emotional stimuli gets to be too much, I end up becoming much more logical/rational to counterbalance it... I pretty much put on a cool front, even though deep down I feel like there's a storm raging inside. While I do care a lot about people and am quite empathetic and accommodating to their needs, there are some moments where I need to emotionally separate myself from stressful situations to make sure I don't end up getting overly stressed. It's a matter of finding a delicate balance of both emotion and logic/ critical thought.

But feeling judgments actually do involve critical thought. Ethical decisions, for instance, involve a great deal of logical deductions about how your actions influence others around you, and this is how they will feel if one action was done, vs. another. Likewise, making decisions based on promoting the overall greater good of human beings, involves not a visceral reaction, but it involves a step-by-step analysis of how the social system operates, and how each component of the social system can help benefit each other and create a positive feedback loop, as opposed to a negative reinforcing loop. It requires critical thought of "A causes B, thus B influences C" type of mindframe.

I guess I'd consider myself to be a logical feeler. I am the most comfortable with having both my T and F sides strong because they support each other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I don't consider feeling to= knee jerk, visceral reactions in absence of critical thinking. I think of it as a form of thinking in itself without logic.
    Oh yeah that's a good point. I posted about knee jerk reactions but those are not equivalent to feeling. That's true. Fi at least seems to have its own internal "logic", not like Ti but it's not just knee jerk reactions.

But anyway, to clarify, I view my considered, weighed opinions as valid but not my knee jerk reactions.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by strychnine View Post
    Oh yeah that's a good point. I posted about knee jerk reactions but those are not equivalent to feeling. That's true. Fi at least seems to have its own internal "logic", not like Ti but it's not just knee jerk reactions.

But anyway, to clarify, I view my considered, weighed opinions as valid but not my knee jerk reactions.
    Is that true of Fi by itself with no critical thought? Or is that Fi + critical thought?

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Is that true of Fi by itself with no critical thought? Or is that Fi + critical thought?
    I'm actually not sure. lol. sorry
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    OK, so I tend to take it for granted that everyone recognizes the importance of critical thought in forming, or at least refining, their opinions.

However, having read another thread, someone there was defending his right to have an opinion about limiting other people's rights based completely on his "strong visceral reaction", in seeming defiance of any critical thought whatsoever. This seems ludicrous to me.

It seems to me that this kind of thinking based on emotional reactions alone, with no critical thought as a back-up check, is what leads to lynchings and angry mobs that burn "witches" at the stake.

So, I would like to have a better understanding of your take, as a feeler, on the importance of critical thought in forming opinions and making decisions. I would think that most of you would also value critical thought, but I'd like to hear it from you. (Obviously my bias is showing.)

Thanks!
    Critical thought is a valuable tool in the toolbox. If that's the only tool you have and you bring it out to hammer my ideas around in the early stages all the time I'm not going to be too happy about it. But yeah, it's useful.

I would say that anything that can be held to critical thought should be. Whether someone likes Twinkies vs Cupcakes is probably not one of these. Feel free to viscerally react.