User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default The digital age and memory loss..

I wonder if this era is going to create a new era of people who can't remember anything because we're having a decreasing need to retain information. Spellings, names(from facebook etc.), childhood memories, (the sudden uprising of pictures of EVERYTHING to process and reminisce the very second the memory occurs)- and of course general information.

What do you think?
    I think that this ability could also create some positive traits as well.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

I've heard the theory that "spell check" would make us forget how to spell correctly and to a certain extent my own experience with other people has confirmed this. I think younger people really are becoming more ignorant spellers because so much of their day-to-day writing is done on computers that will correct their spelling automatically.

As far as general information goes I think the complete opposite is happening. It's so much easier to find information using today's technology than it was "back in the day". On one hand people are becoming less and less aware of how to use the Dewey decimal system, but on the other hand, is that so bad? We're moving beyond having to visit large, expensive repositories of books and digging through a filing system just to find the book we want, which may not even be the book we need. I think information developed today will become immeasurably easier to reference decades from now than information from, say, the 1940s was referenced in the 1980s.

If anything I think technology will make childhood memories easier to remember, because photographs are so much easier to take and process with a digital camera. And to reference these pictures requires a simple search on a hard drive, compared to wading through albums.

I do think we will lose the knowledge about older technologies. People won't know how to use older pieces of technology. I think we'll get to the point that the vast majority of people don't know how to play a record on a record player, to adjust the choke on a carburetor, and even things like floppy disks will be unknown to the kids growing up these days. I think an unprecedented amount of knowledge about technology will be forgotten because people won't care to remember them, whereas even though technology was rapidly progressing in the 20th century most people still knew how to use older pieces of technology.

E.g. someone born in the 1930s would grow up with records, learn to play 8-tracks, cassettes and CDs, but would still retain the knowledge of how to play a record. A kid born in 2000 has probably seen a cassette and a 12" LP, probably knows that they're used to play music, but probably doesn't know how to use them. His or her kids, kids born 10-20 years from now, probably won't know a thing about 8-track tapes at all.

It goes back to the Dewey decimal system. I have a vague recollection of the ins and outs we were taught in elementary school. My kids, if I have any, won't know what it is at all.

I don't think the proliferation of technology would make us forget things, simply filing information away digitally rather than having to recall it from memory. It's not as though the human race itself will lose the ability to retain memories. If anything technology will help us retain that information because we'll have easier ways of filing it away, rather than losing it naturally over the course of time.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I wonder if this era is going to create a new era of people who can't remember anything because we're having a decreasing need to retain information. Spellings, names(from facebook etc.), childhood memories, (the sudden uprising of pictures of EVERYTHING to process and reminisce the very second the memory occurs)- and of course general information.

What do you think?
    If one makes oneself a bitch of the ages, probably
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I agree with the OP. When the written word gained steam, a lot of the memory techniques of the greeks or other great orators were lost for a while simply because one didn't need the "memory palace" when you could just write things down. The internet is a similar advancement in where to log cultural knowledge, so as one could "outsource" knowledge to books previously, wikipedia and Google represent a similar system. Information is now essentially available instantaneously with a google search.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post

What do you think?
    I encourage anyone who chooses to give into electronic idiocy.
    Each time someone takes the bait, that's one less person my kids will have to compete for good jobs with when they're older.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I encourage anyone who chooses to give into electronic idiocy.
    Each time someone takes the bait, that's one less person my kids will have to compete for good jobs with when they're older.

-Alex
    I'm not even talking about giving into it. Seems like it could be something that happens naturally over time.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I don't think the unused brainpower goes away, we'd use it for other things like understanding how to use the technology we're outsourcing our memory storage to.

Basically I'm always concious of the fact that people will ALWAYS think things were better in their day and that the end of civilisation is just round the corner.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I don't think the unused brainpower goes away, we'd use it for other things like understanding how to use the technology we're outsourcing our memory storage to.
    I agree. Almost like we can use the newly freed up space to do something else, moving forward quickly, skipping a lot of background stuff-not having to do as much legwork. I truly think that over the next couple of generations we're going to have people thinking almost unrecognizably from say, 2 generations ago.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INXP

watr u tawkin abowt

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Actually it has been studied a bit and it seems that googling everything that you cant remember in sec does make your memory worse. and quite many people are even using google for not being able to remember some word..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read