User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What causes people to tell lies?

Default What causes people to tell lies?

I ask that question, but I'll also ask another question in relation to that question. Why do people tell lies when you want the truth of the matter, even if it is blunt, and even if it'll hurt yourself by that truth?

What I am wondering about is why fabricate something when I want you to tell the truth about something. I'd rather be hurt now than be hurt many times more in the future. Why do some people go to great lengths to fabricate a lie or hide something that could potentially improve the other person?

If someone came up to me with a sincere question, I would be willing to tell the truth. That is, knowing that that person wants truth without fabrication or lies to begin with.

Well. That's pretty complicated. Sometimes people ask for the truth, but don't actually want it. Some people want the truth, but can't handle it. Sometimes the act of telling the truth will change things in the way the answerer doesn't wish it to. Even if the asker wants to know the truth and can handle it, sometimes it is too intense for the answerer to tell the truth.

"I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone." — Kurt Vonnegut

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think 80% of the lies I tell are more half truths.. Not saying the entire story, to sway it one way or the other. 100% of the time that I do that, it is solely because I feel it isn't anyone's (or that particular person's at least) business.

As for why we're conditioned to lie even though people want the truth? Most of the time, people have an idea of the "truth" they're about to hear.. when they hear something drastically different, they aren't prepared for it, and thus react in a negative way. So as we continue to see that pattern, we soften it and mold it into what we THINK they want, which ends up with better reactions.

For example... Crappy parents dont want to hear that their kid is screwed up because their parenting was shit. Even if it was.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

Why do people tell lies when you want the truth of the matter, even if it is blunt, and even if it'll hurt yourself by that truth?
    The liar may consider sparing a person's feelings of greater value than telling them the truth. Or they may not be able to tolerate the consequences of telling the truth such as blame, guilt, explanations, emotional backlash and what-not. They may also do it to maintain an advantage over the other person who doesn't know the truth.
    Why do some people go to great lengths to fabricate a lie or hide something that could potentially improve the other person?
    Hmm...pretty much the same answers as above.

The main reason I lie is to protect my privacy. But lately, privacy has become less and less important to me.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

half mystic, half skeksis Array jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

A lot of people lie to protect their own ego, not yours. Meaning that if they revealed the truth, they would fall down a peg or two in your eyes. I know that I sometimes withhold information so I don't look as bad.

Tempbanned Array
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Would you tell your five year old daughter the truth, if she asked: "will we always be together Dad ?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

People have to be told lies, because people CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Tempbanned Array
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by StrawMan View Post
    People have to be told lies, because people CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
    15 inch ?

Dependable Skeleton Array Engineer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Fear, mostly. Fear that other people will reject their advice, their critique, or react to the opinion harshly.
    In other cases, fear of the consequences that would have otherwise been.
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."