123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Erasing Memories

If you had the power to erase certain memories, would you do so? If you had a period of, lets say, one year that you would like to erase from your mind, what would that be? And if you followed through, what kind of person would you be today?

(And- to leave room for straying, anything else you want to say about erasing memory is acceptable, too.)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/caplan-memory-au.html
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

There are certain incidents that haunt me that I would love to be able to erase. They feel like weight on my shoulders. I think I would be lighter and more carefree if certain things hadn't happened in my life.

There's a mad man named Bob Makransky who talks about what he calls "thought forms," and says that certain ideas have enough consensus and enough energy behind them (through people believing them), that they become real. He says the way to grow is to lose all of this -- memories you identify with are thought forms -- that you are better off if you do not identify with any certain memories. For some reason, this idea really scares me. I can see the truth in it, but at the same time, who am I if not the accumulation of events of my life, even if I wish some of them had never happened?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    There are certain incidents that haunt me that I would love to be able to erase. They feel like weight on my shoulders. I think I would be lighter and more carefree if certain things hadn't happened in my life.

There's a mad man named Bob Makransky who talks about what he calls "thought forms," and says that certain ideas have enough consensus and enough energy behind them (through people believing them), that they become real. He says the way to grow is to lose all of this -- memories you identify with are thought forms -- that you are better off if you do not identify with any certain memories. For some reason, this idea really scares me. I can see the truth in it, but at the same time, who am I if not the accumulation of events of my life, even if I wish some of them had never happened?
    I agree, insightful post. There would be obvious downfalls. I wonder if there would be some remnant feelings and beliefs left over. Erasing memories doesn't mean destroying the neurons and reactions associated with that memory, I wouldn't think. So I wonder if it would really be that effective in tearing away the things that tie you down, or if you would continue with the same old pathways that were already strongly reinforced by the memory that is now missing.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    If you had the power to erase certain memories, would you do so? If you had a period of, lets say, one year that you would like to erase from your mind, what would that be? And if you followed through, what kind of person would you be today?

(And- to leave room for straying, anything else you want to say about erasing memory is acceptable, too.)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/caplan-memory-au.html
    I have some memories that I would love to burn from the folds of my brain. However, even if I had a choice to do so... I would not. The person I am was partially forged in those memories. To lose those memories I would lose a part of myself. Not perhaps so literally as to become a different person, but the price paid would be gone.

I think we need to embrace the bad and the good in our lives and not try and hide or find an easy fix for them. I know that my life has been too easy for most of it and because of that I didn't grow as a person the way that I maybe should have grown.

Anew Leaf

Plus, one of the memories I would prefer to erase is that of someone dying. If I erased my memory then it would be like erasing an important moment in their life. One of us has to hold it.

P.S. Although I might be tempted to erase my memories of watching "Designing Women."

No, because The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind has convinced me to cherish my memories, good and bad alike, because they're a part of me.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post

The bolded freaks me out because well...i assume it can work in a negative mass consensus...freaky.
    But then i think...positive affirmations....deep breath....everything will be fine.
    I breath in life, the world loves me, i deserve to be happy and sucessful.
    Oh yeah baby.

And also no, i would not delete, i'm more Dr.Who than Cyberwoman...
    I would of course travel through time and just change bad stuff into not so bad stuff...but only the really life threatenlingly bad stuff. Maybe the destroy the universe stuff only...hmmm
    I think i'd just leave it and potter around the galaxy...
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

There was a time I would have said certainly not but now I think yes, there are stupid memories that I really cant get rid off which I still have and there are other memories which I've discovered are not actual memories but false memories, possibly content from dreams remembered as actual events and then embedded as memories. Which are similarly unimportant and stupid. I'd erase all that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I would erase quite a number of my memories. Unfortunate ones that may upset me is bombarded with whatever positivity I may apply to it. I would be able to, in time, distort my memories to a beautiful degree.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    No, because The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind has convinced me to cherish my memories, good and bad alike, because they're a part of me.
    That's one of my favorite movies ever. And it really is heartbreaking to watch Joel regret choosing to eradicate that set of memories, then try to fight ... seemingly futilely .... to save them from extinction. The metaphor of things disappearing and the lights going out would literally be what it felt like -- the light of one's past is being snuffed, bit by bit.

Any sort of "self" that can recognize its own existence is built upon memories -- otherwise we are just creatures of current desire and instinct acting in the Now without any sense of what came before or what might come after. I suppose perhaps that memories can make changes in brain wiring that would then operate even if the memories themselves were removed, but we typically do remember things that have happened in our past as we go about making decisions later in life; and when we don't, this is often called "reacting out of the subconscious," where we might be acting in destructive ways without really understand why we're doing them... like repeating patterns we've learned in the past that are no longer effective. Without memories, we cannot review these behaviors and make conscious decision to change the ones we realize are arbitrary and now useless.

I know I'm the sort that would rather remember my bad memories and feel the pain of them, along with recalling the good and feeling the pleasure of them. I don't want to have incomplete knowledge of myself, or at least I want to embrace everything that has happened to me, for good or ill. I feel like I am living authentically in that circumstance, where to screen out my memories to me is to live a lie or refuse ownership of part of my life simply because i don't happen to like it. Maybe for some other people, it is different, I think some people are very negatively impacted by bad memories and need to set some aside; but I actually use my dark memories to motivate me and improve my lot in life -- it gives me contrast, helps me navigate, helps me identify with others who suffer, gives me perspective about my life, helps me understand the world better, gives me a desire to make things better so that that kind of pain is not as prominent.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft