• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Vs Enneagram, which is truer?

Which is closer to THE core?

• Total voters
R

Riva

Which is closer to YOUR core?

The poll wants to know 'which is closer to THE core?', meaning overall.

The OP wants to know 'which is closer to YOUR core?', meaning to you.

R

Riva

Which is closer to the core?

One's MBTI type could change? (such as from ENTJ to INTJ, vise versa?).
Enneagram type would never change?

Enneagrams deal with one's needs, fears and MBTI type deals with one's behaviour (perceptions and reactions). One's needs always trumps one's perceptions and reactions, does it not?

R

Riva

For me -

Which is closer to YOUR core? - My MBTI type. (It should be noted that I do not know my enneagram type.)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
the enneagram is about a false core. but, apart from possibly the soul, it's the most false core you have, meaning the deepest pain in your ass. or, in THE ass. it's real but elusive. for the most part of your live, it hides in your subject. the subject is by definition that which sees objects, not that which is seen. cognitive type isn't so much about any kind of core, but it's a lot about destiny, about the coordinates of your life, because it is a major factor in the creation of the subjective reality you live in and it is to a lesser degree a big factor of your orientation inside of this subjective reality. and experientially, shit doesn't get more real than your subjective reality. that said, MBTI theory sucks, the popular enneagram description suck at least as much, or possibly worse.

Last edited:

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know, I still don't like the enneagram. I feel it to be reductive. I feel MBTI can explain my personality quite well though.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I don't really understand a lot about enneagram, so I feel a bit reluctant to answer, but I tend to say MBTI, just because enneagram doesn't work out for me as in I don't figure out my enneagram type myself and tests were very unreliable for me and don't help me. Some people here tried to help me figuring out and suggested maybe type 9, but I don't know then again how accurate I can transport myself here on this forum platform. I could see myself in more than one enneagram type to some degree, but there is none where I can say "this fits me totally".

With MBTI I had a lot less trouble. I got into it after some time, and once I figured out my type INFP, I rarely doubted it anymore and I can identify with it. Tests in most cases give out the same results other than enneagram where every test gives me a new number which might change depending on a single switched answer.

Silveresque

I want to say the enneagram is closer, but I just changed types and I'm not really used to my new type yet. I feel a bit lost right now...

wolfy

awsm
I prefer mbti but the enneagram is okay. Neither really get to the core but they give enough of an outline.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm finding the Enneagram kind of... pathologizing. :unsure:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which is closer to YOUR core?

The poll wants to know 'which is closer to THE core?', meaning overall.

The OP wants to know 'which is closer to YOUR core?', meaning to you.

It's too subjective of a topic to say "which is closer to THE core?" So I'm not voting. I find that they both have equal value for me- I went with the enneagram for a while, but that's not always perfect either. I think because they describe two different aspects of myself, I like to put them together. I can't pick one or the other. MBTI seems to support growth more. I don't understand enneagram and growth yet- so far it seems like you almost change enneagram as you grow- and since each enneagram number comes with it's own sets of trials and tribulations, you are simply growing into more problems and it seems impossible that you could feel truly self actualized. (I know the health levels describe it differently, and I won't get into that), but it's not the same with MBTI.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's too subjective of a topic to say "which is closer to THE core?" So I'm not voting. I find that they both have equal value for me- I went with the enneagram for a while, but that's not always perfect either. I think because they describe two different aspects of myself, I like to put them together. I can't pick one or the other. MBTI seems to support growth more. I don't understand enneagram and growth yet- so far it seems like you almost change enneagram as you grow- and since each enneagram number comes with it's own sets of trials and tribulations, you are simply growing into more problems and it seems impossible that you could feel truly self actualized. (I know the health levels describe it differently, and I won't get into that), but it's not the same with MBTI.

I think both are really pretty useful. Over the last year, I've come to be an Enneagram convert.

I think MBTI is closer to the core because it best represents a "healthy you" unless we are talking about eruptions of the inferior. I find Enneagram more associated with negatively oriented motivations that end up driving your behaviors. I think we all go back and forth between healthy and unhealthy levels but there is a level of frequency in one direction or the other which might represent if a person is overall towards the healthy or unhealthy side. You can grow by understanding these underlying motivations and how they effect you. You can gain power over them vs. them gaining power over you and move towards healthy levels on a more regular basis. If you sink to unhealthy levels on a very frequent basis and you let those motivations control you vs. the other way around, it can affect you in a negative way. So, I think it's a system you can work with and conquer your demons so to speak, whereas MBTI is more about the core of the real you.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I think both are really pretty useful. Over the last year, I've come to be an Enneagram convert.

I think MBTI is closer to the core because it best represents a "healthy you" unless we are talking about eruptions of the inferior. I find Enneagram more associated with negatively oriented motivations that end up driving your behaviors. I think we all go back and forth between healthy and unhealthy levels but there is a level of frequency in one direction or the other which might represent if a person is overall towards the healthy or unhealthy side. You can grow by understanding these underlying motivations and how they effect you. You can gain power over them vs. them gaining power over you and move towards healthy levels on a more regular basis. If you sink to unhealthy levels on a very frequent basis and you let those motivations control you vs. the other way around, it can affect you in a negative way. So, I think it's a system you can work with and conquer your demons so to speak, whereas MBTI is more about the core of the real you.

That's a very fascinating way of looking at it. :yes:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i feel like people who have a lot of trouble choosing an enneagram type are scared of confronting the ugly parts of themselves.

T

ThatGirl

I am pretty sure I am undoubtedly an 8. So that seems more set or universal than my MBTI type. Which I will tell you, I just cannot wrap my head around being an SP. I could see it, somewhat, but then it doesn't make sense why I don't feel similar qualities and experiences of other SPs. Or why I relate to NTs more, and no one can see me being an NT.

If I am an NT on the inside and an SP on the outside, does that mean my nt functions come second to my SP functions or vice versa?!?! My dominate functions are my extroverted ones but everyone thinks I am a narcissist and self centered? I just don't understand what the fuck this system is getting at!!!!!!

So.... enneagram. I also don't think enneagram is trying to count for as much of a person, so that gives it the edge.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am pretty sure I am undoubtedly an 8. So that seems more set or universal than my MBTI type. Which I will tell you, I just cannot wrap my head around being an SP. I could see it, somewhat, but then it doesn't make sense why I don't feel similar qualities and experiences of other SPs. Or why I relate to NTs more, and no one can see me being an NT.

If I am an NT on the inside and an SP on the outside, does that mean my nt functions come second to my SP functions or vice versa?!?! My dominate functions are my extroverted ones but everyone thinks I am a narcissist and self centered? I just don't understand what the fuck this system is getting at!!!!!!

So.... enneagram. I also don't think enneagram is trying to count for as much of a person, so that gives it the edge.

You know TG, I've come to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with being an NF. It's just all the stigma.

uncommonentity

Neither. I think the only way to truly judge personality is to see who can drink a glass of milk the quickest.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
i feel like people who have a lot of trouble choosing an enneagram type are scared of confronting the ugly parts of themselves.

I agree. Enneagram tends to highlight the negatives much more than MBTI.

Though I chose MBTI as my core because the types are quite fixed and it's not easy to change from one to another (though I know it's possible to others). Sometimes, I felt when the results of different types are quite clustered as similar range, Enneagram may confuse people even further. Not to mention that the results tend to fluctuate if you keep testing after a long break.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm going with MBTI, but the enneagram makes sense as well. I just can't tell if I'm a 7w8 or an 8w7 (I got 3w4 once, but I think that might have just been a mistake of the test).