• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Vs Enneagram, which is truer?

Which is closer to THE core?

• Total voters

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
i feel like people who have a lot of trouble choosing an enneagram type are scared of confronting the ugly parts of themselves.

I have considered this, but I have come to disagree. I think there are a few different things that can cause difficulty in understanding e-type, though lacking actualization would clearly be one of them. 6's commonly have difficulty typing because in their spectrum of ph and cp they can look like many of the types, some people can mis type as 4's when depressed, or any type if they are simply unhealthy people, and all at the same time egram says its common for those with exceptional growth to identify with traits of all the etypes. Throw in stacking, triad, etc.. and I think e-gram is a highly complex system.

I view enneagram is being closest to the core. but this is simply because I have alot of spiritual interest and view the essence or soul as something seperate than thoughts or emotions (cognitive mind process) The enneagram will reveal how that essence handles being seperated from the source. I also think the essence will chose a body and mind that is congruent with its nature, so mbti has a correlation.. but not as much as etype.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i feel like people who have a lot of trouble choosing an enneagram type are scared of confronting the ugly parts of themselves.

I have considered this, but I have come to disagree. I think there are a few different things that can cause difficulty in understanding e-type, though lacking actualization would clearly be one of them. 6's commonly have difficulty typing because in their spectrum of ph and cp they can look like many of the types, some people can mis type as 4's when depressed, or any type if they are simply unhealthy people, and all at the same time egram says its common for those with exceptional growth to identify with traits of all the etypes. Throw in stacking, triad, etc.. and I think e-gram is a highly complex system.

I view enneagram is being closest to the core. but this is simply because I have alot of spiritual interest and view the essence or soul as something seperate than thoughts or emotions (cognitive mind process) The enneagram will reveal how that essence handles being seperated from the source. I also think the essence will chose a body and mind that is congruent with its nature, so mbti has a correlation.. but not as much as etype.

[MENTION=12991]Huxley3112[/MENTION] - completely agree with these statements. I was sure I was an 8 because that's what several tests said. I was wrong (cp6). I don't fear confronting ugly parts of myself really at all.

It takes a lot of people time to figure out their type in general. I think there are two factors at least that are in play - how well you understand the system and how well you know yourself. Then of course there are others that seem to know both and still have a hard time with it (too many options - can't decide - maybe sometimes they are Ne doms or 6s or both).

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's really hard to define which is the core. From the way I see it, MBTI is more widely accepted because it has to do with interpersonal interaction, which is highly-emphasized in workplace environment. Some jobs even prefer if you have MBTI certificate, like coaching, training, and consulting jobs. Enneagram has more to do with intrapersonal communciation as it's really about discovering the 'unhealthy' state and serves as a wake-up call as it is not easy to achieve in level 1, the healthiest state of all.

It's more of a question if you value observation of others (MBTI) or introspection of self (Enneagram). Lately I've been into learning a little more about Enneagram and the things I learned helps me to change my bad pattern/behavior for shaping my identity as a better person. Where as MBTI is more about understading other types for the sake of harmonizing the relationships by finding a middle ground.

So both are core to me. I couldn't pick one over another.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Enneagram, definitely.
Enneagram = macro perspective - explains why
MBTI = micro perspective - explains how