User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is closer to THE core?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • MBTI type

12 52.17%
  • Enneagram Type

11 47.83%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Which is closer to YOUR core?

The poll wants to know 'which is closer to THE core?', meaning overall.

The OP wants to know 'which is closer to YOUR core?', meaning to you.
    It's too subjective of a topic to say "which is closer to THE core?" So I'm not voting. I find that they both have equal value for me- I went with the enneagram for a while, but that's not always perfect either. I think because they describe two different aspects of myself, I like to put them together. I can't pick one or the other. MBTI seems to support growth more. I don't understand enneagram and growth yet- so far it seems like you almost change enneagram as you grow- and since each enneagram number comes with it's own sets of trials and tribulations, you are simply growing into more problems and it seems impossible that you could feel truly self actualized. (I know the health levels describe it differently, and I won't get into that), but it's not the same with MBTI.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    It's too subjective of a topic to say "which is closer to THE core?" So I'm not voting. I find that they both have equal value for me- I went with the enneagram for a while, but that's not always perfect either. I think because they describe two different aspects of myself, I like to put them together. I can't pick one or the other. MBTI seems to support growth more. I don't understand enneagram and growth yet- so far it seems like you almost change enneagram as you grow- and since each enneagram number comes with it's own sets of trials and tribulations, you are simply growing into more problems and it seems impossible that you could feel truly self actualized. (I know the health levels describe it differently, and I won't get into that), but it's not the same with MBTI.
    I think both are really pretty useful. Over the last year, I've come to be an Enneagram convert.

I think MBTI is closer to the core because it best represents a "healthy you" unless we are talking about eruptions of the inferior. I find Enneagram more associated with negatively oriented motivations that end up driving your behaviors. I think we all go back and forth between healthy and unhealthy levels but there is a level of frequency in one direction or the other which might represent if a person is overall towards the healthy or unhealthy side. You can grow by understanding these underlying motivations and how they effect you. You can gain power over them vs. them gaining power over you and move towards healthy levels on a more regular basis. If you sink to unhealthy levels on a very frequent basis and you let those motivations control you vs. the other way around, it can affect you in a negative way. So, I think it's a system you can work with and conquer your demons so to speak, whereas MBTI is more about the core of the real you.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I think both are really pretty useful. Over the last year, I've come to be an Enneagram convert.

I think MBTI is closer to the core because it best represents a "healthy you" unless we are talking about eruptions of the inferior. I find Enneagram more associated with negatively oriented motivations that end up driving your behaviors. I think we all go back and forth between healthy and unhealthy levels but there is a level of frequency in one direction or the other which might represent if a person is overall towards the healthy or unhealthy side. You can grow by understanding these underlying motivations and how they effect you. You can gain power over them vs. them gaining power over you and move towards healthy levels on a more regular basis. If you sink to unhealthy levels on a very frequent basis and you let those motivations control you vs. the other way around, it can affect you in a negative way. So, I think it's a system you can work with and conquer your demons so to speak, whereas MBTI is more about the core of the real you.
    That's a very fascinating way of looking at it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i feel like people who have a lot of trouble choosing an enneagram type are scared of confronting the ugly parts of themselves.

ThatGirl

I am pretty sure I am undoubtedly an 8. So that seems more set or universal than my MBTI type. Which I will tell you, I just cannot wrap my head around being an SP. I could see it, somewhat, but then it doesn't make sense why I don't feel similar qualities and experiences of other SPs. Or why I relate to NTs more, and no one can see me being an NT.

If I am an NT on the inside and an SP on the outside, does that mean my nt functions come second to my SP functions or vice versa?!?! My dominate functions are my extroverted ones but everyone thinks I am a narcissist and self centered? I just don't understand what the fuck this system is getting at!!!!!!

So.... enneagram. I also don't think enneagram is trying to count for as much of a person, so that gives it the edge.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I am pretty sure I am undoubtedly an 8. So that seems more set or universal than my MBTI type. Which I will tell you, I just cannot wrap my head around being an SP. I could see it, somewhat, but then it doesn't make sense why I don't feel similar qualities and experiences of other SPs. Or why I relate to NTs more, and no one can see me being an NT.

If I am an NT on the inside and an SP on the outside, does that mean my nt functions come second to my SP functions or vice versa?!?! My dominate functions are my extroverted ones but everyone thinks I am a narcissist and self centered? I just don't understand what the fuck this system is getting at!!!!!!

So.... enneagram. I also don't think enneagram is trying to count for as much of a person, so that gives it the edge.
    You know TG, I've come to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with being an NF. It's just all the stigma.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

ThatGirl

Did you just call me an NF?

Neither. I think the only way to truly judge personality is to see who can drink a glass of milk the quickest.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i feel like people who have a lot of trouble choosing an enneagram type are scared of confronting the ugly parts of themselves.
    I agree. Enneagram tends to highlight the negatives much more than MBTI.

Though I chose MBTI as my core because the types are quite fixed and it's not easy to change from one to another (though I know it's possible to others). Sometimes, I felt when the results of different types are quite clustered as similar range, Enneagram may confuse people even further. Not to mention that the results tend to fluctuate if you keep testing after a long break.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm going with MBTI, but the enneagram makes sense as well. I just can't tell if I'm a 7w8 or an 8w7 (I got 3w4 once, but I think that might have just been a mistake of the test).