• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Letter to Yourself

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ein, a friend of mine, gave out an interesting assignment a couple of days ago.

If you were to write to your young(er) self, what would you say? Where were you and how were you doing as a child? Would you comfort yourself? Chastise yourself? What issues would you try to reconcile if the letter were to pass through space and time and be received?

As you can see, it's very personal and can be therapeutic. I really felt relieved after having written mine out.

Oh, and don't think you'd ever have to show it to anyone (including this thread or board). I just wanted to share this great tool.

-A

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Dear young Mort,

Get in more trouble. You don't realise it but you could really away with it at your age.

Old Mort

Interesting idea, but here's one for you. Would it be immoral to go back in time and molest youself as a child?

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Mort, your wit has a charm all its own. I really laughed out loud.

Playing right along:

How would you feel if a lady say, twenty years older than you, claimed to be you from the future, and began making sexual advances?

Oh, I completely expect some wit in response to that. *braces for laughter*

-A

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
As ladylike as I am I wasn't saying necessarily I would do it. But if we lived in a reality where time travel was commonplace and a friend said to you, "I just went back and molested myself," would you think he was sick, or would you think, "ah well it all equals out."

Sure the child is at that point an innocent victim, but it could be retribution when they get to the age when they go back. I mean they'd watch themself turn into the person they hate most in life; everytime they look in the mirror, they's see their worst nightmare, but would you consider them a bad person?

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Would it be immoral to go back in time and molest youself as a child?

Thanks for my gag reflex of the day.

Actually, I'm going to pretend I'm ten years older, and write a letter to myself now:

Join things in college. Have fun! Try things. See how you like them. You'll never know how much you like them until you try them. Get involved now and then. You're not going to get a slap in the face for trying new things and deciding you don't like them. How could you know, unless you tried? Be easy. (No, not in that way.) Move easily in your own skin, and be easy on yourself. Don't fret about getting the A in every class. You don't need to belong to the honors group, even though it looks like it's pretty simple for you to be invited. They've already offered you membership, so that must mean you have something going on upstairs, even if you don't have the work ethic. Don't spurn your hopes in the interest of avoiding disappointment. Pessimists probably close a lot of doors for themselves and glance right over a lot of opportunities. Hey, enjoy the library once in a while, too. You know, the one by your dad's house. It's spring, so there are going to be a lot more beautiful days coming up. Pick up a few promising books. Don't be afraid to invite your friends to take part in your joys with you. Don't fret anyone's rejection, even if you like them.

Just enjoy your own time, and enjoy yourself. Try, and fail, as you will. But you are worthy, even if you don't always feel like it. Failing doesn't necessarily say anything about you, your worth, or your self-esteem; it just means that if you want to, you have the room to improve.

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
As ladylike as I am I wasn't saying necessarily I would do it. But if we lived in a reality where time travel was commonplace and a friend said to you, "I just went back and molested myself," would you think he was sick, or would you think, "ah well it all equals out."

Sure the child is at that point an innocent victim, but it could be retribution when they get to the age when they go back. I mean they'd watch themself turn into the person they hate most in life; everytime they look in the mirror, they's see their worst nightmare, but would you consider them a bad person?

If you become your worst nightmare, you might have a problem. However you deal with that problem is up to you. If you take it out on others, I'd say it's a bad idea. If you somehow resolve the issue and overcome it, then I'd say you've triumphed over yourself.

But the act of molesting yourself and causing yourself psychological harm? Seems awful to me.

Mempy: Seems like you have a healthy, observant handle on your life. Some people are really afraid of failure and get wound up too tight. I'm curious though, why'd you choose to write to yourself from the POV of your future self, instead of the original idea?

-A

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I'm curious though, why'd you choose to write to yourself from the POV of your future self, instead of the original idea?

-A

Was feelin' it. It's the first thing that came to mind, and I found it a lot more poignant for me because I've been going through a really rough patch since college started for me.

Thanks! :D

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
Dear, Myself right after I finish writing this.

Get off your ass, seroiusly you need to go to the gym.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:doh: I wrote a letter, which I will post in my blog later- it was mostly advice to me about how to avoid making disasterous decisions!

However, knowing myself, I know that I would have completely disregarded the advice, deciding that I'm too lucky and smart to get into trouble, and would end up in exactly the same place that I am now! :laugh:

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Dear SP,

When you go out to have your birthday dinner on October 9th, 1998 at the Olive Garden, DO NOT under ANY circumstances order the chicken pasta with alfredo sauce. Have a salad, and enjoy being stomach pain free for the two weeks following.

Love,
SP2K8

P.S. Wear a condom. Always.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't beat Penguin's letter.

Mostly it's just these sorts of things:

1. Be strong and brave.
2. People aren't actually watching you all the time, most of it's in your head. (And what if they are?)
3. You can't have everything. Pick.
4. Better to make the wrong decision and adjust course than not to do anything at all.
5. Life will hurt you but it can't kill you -- at least not in the ways that matter.
6. There is still love in the world.
7. Please PLEASE please invest heavily in Internet stock in 1996. Then cash out by 1998.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Dear GZA

This is you -in the future!

Come soon!

Sincerely- GZA

Actually, I'd probably write it to me in grade 8 and tell myself to be very hesitant when speaking to a certain girl, and I'd probably recommend not talking to her at all. Long story, don't want to tell it :dry:

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
mine'd say:

1) Don't join the marines. Yes, they are fascinating specimins, but you don't belong there.

2) Yes, Mom totally fucked your head up and subsequently every relationship you'll ever have with a woman. Get therapy asap.

3) Yes, human beings are pretty much universally psychotic, the only differences among them have to do with degrees and understanding of manners or sophistication. Future studies at the university level will only reveal this even further, so just try to focus on the good stuff.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Dear self,
You disgust me. You use to be a good person, but now you’re too self involved, get over yourself and fix your life. I don’t care if you’re worried what others might thing, you are driving yourself insane, just go talk to someone, anyone. Quit hiding and quit giving up, you don’t deserve to fail just because you’re afraid to try. Do what you want to do, stop worrying so much about other’s feelings. I love you, but please please please don’t fuck your life up anymore, just try to do better next semester, and mean really try don’t say you’re going to then don’t. Do all your work make straight A’s prove to them and yourself that you are smart. In other words quit being just talk, you fucking lazy hypocrite.

Thank you, and I’m sorry,
Self

P.S. Don’t hang your self

that made feel about better but not much.

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Prpl: Wow, talk about honest. It sounds like you could really use a hug though.

SP: That made me laugh duder. Have you seen this advertisement?

Whatever: I'll make a note to drop by your blog. If I can't find it in the sea of posts, I'll just PM you 'cos I'm nosy as fock.

-A

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
During a troubled time of my life, when I had OCD and didn't know the diagnosis, I wrote a letter to myself to be opened ten years later. I have got four years before I can open that letter, and I am really looking forward to it, but nervous, too. That scared, scarred teenage self is the one I would write to.

My Dear Girl,
I promise you it will all get better. You don't even know how to have dreams for your life yet--don't be afraid! You will learn how beautiful life is, how much you've been given, how much there is for you to have and hold if you only love, trust, and hold on. I am going to be there for you always, and I am always going to remember your strength and the lessons you taught me. It's okay. You are loved, and you are a wonderful person.
Love,
RH

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Dear self,

Buy as much stock in Google as possible. Sell it all on Dec 7 of 2007.

Sincerely,
Self

There haven't been very many pivotal moments in my life at all. Most of what I am is due to who I am, not chance, so if I were to go back and do it all again (without bringing my current memories with me), I'd probably end up in mostly the same place. And words of encouragement/motivation don't do much for me.

But I wouldn't mind being about 6x wealthier. So Google stock it is.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Dear htb,

When the Balbkor Fhriti arrive in their mothership, dismiss their appearance as twelve-foot-tall anemones as "a freakish but purely aesthetic evolutionary aside," and invite leaders of the free world to join them underwater for rapprochement sessions after rolling in vats in TetraFin, don't decide against a visibly public protest. You must act on your first instinct, the imperative of which shall lead to an experimental railgun's eventuating the Earth's first suborbital fish-fry.

FIGHT THEM ALL THE WAY BACK TO PLANET SLUICELOPH, FIGHT TH --

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dear Self- here is a list of things that you may wish to avoid, even though I know that you will ignore it and probably use it as a bookmark

- avoid going on a date with someone who you have never met sober
- avoid going to the bars when too drunk to know where your shoes are
- never drink more than 5 cups of coffee a day
- don't take Constitutional Law Honors Only
- don't drive your car November 21st 2005 or December 10th 2006
- don't get a tattoo on the arch of your foot- it will wear off within 2 weeks
- you should probably stay in Brazil when you go there

Sincerely, Future You

ps- you won't get any taller, so give up all hope!

ChrisMBTI

MBTI Type
ESTP
This is you in the future. I am 10 years ahead.

Here’s some advice:
• Start getting in to more trouble. You can get away with more than you think you can.
• If you are unsure about whether you should or shouldn’t do something – ALWAYS DO IT. You regret the things you didn’t do, not the things you did.
• Go chat up girls. Stop being so fucking proud of yourself. She wants you to talk to her. Make her day. If it was the other way around how would you feel?
• Just amuse yourself at all times and let others think whatever they want about you. Whoever it is.
• ALWAYS take right-action no matter HOW YOU FEEL. This is what those who are and feel SUCCESSFUL do. There really is no excuse. It’s tough but you gotta do it.
• You don’t have to answer people seriously all the time (or answer them at all), sometimes it’s best to answer illogically and engage their emotional side. Be less logical.
• Play your own game, try not to compare yourself to others.
• Be ok with people not liking you, it’s fine.
• Don’t let anyone else dictate your reality.
• Don’t view the world through other peoples’ eyes. You have your own.
• Don’t be afraid of cutting people out of your life, if they are negative, draw energy or waste your time.
• Society’s view of success isn’t a game you can win. Base your confidence on your INNER WORLD, not the external crap.
• There are opportunities are around you all the time, live in the moment.
• If someone’s treating you like shit, STEP THE FUCK UP, CUT THEM OFF, DON’T ALLOW IT, EVEN IF IT MEANS ENDING A FRIENDSHIP.
• Stop being a little bitch, whine and complain less, when you wake up tell yourself that it’s probably going to be a great day. Play your music loud!
• Be at the CAUSE of things instead of the EFFECT. Make things happen.
• NOTHING REALLY MATTERS. EVERYTHING WILL BE OK.
• LIVE THE MOST FUN WAY YOU CAN.

By the way - don’t go to that house party in 2007 on New Years eve, go to your usual place ;)
Oh and in 2007 on Christmas, you’re going to have a GREAT night and you’re going to feel EUPHORIC – Just watch lol. Keep that shit up!