User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default A Letter to Yourself

Ein, a friend of mine, gave out an interesting assignment a couple of days ago.

If you were to write to your young(er) self, what would you say? Where were you and how were you doing as a child? Would you comfort yourself? Chastise yourself? What issues would you try to reconcile if the letter were to pass through space and time and be received?

As you can see, it's very personal and can be therapeutic. I really felt relieved after having written mine out.

Oh, and don't think you'd ever have to show it to anyone (including this thread or board). I just wanted to share this great tool.

-A

"Je ne craignais pas de mourir
    Mais de mourir sans etre illumine."

"I was not afraid to die,
    But to die without being enlightened."

-Comte de Saint-Germain, La Tres Sainte-Trinisophie

MBTI
    INTP

Dear young Mort,

Get in more trouble. You don't realise it but you could really away with it at your age.

Old Mort

Interesting idea, but here's one for you. Would it be immoral to go back in time and molest youself as a child?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INFJ

Mort, your wit has a charm all its own. I really laughed out loud.

Playing right along:

How would you feel if a lady say, twenty years older than you, claimed to be you from the future, and began making sexual advances?

Oh, I completely expect some wit in response to that. *braces for laughter*

-A

MBTI
    INTP

As ladylike as I am I wasn't saying necessarily I would do it. But if we lived in a reality where time travel was commonplace and a friend said to you, "I just went back and molested myself," would you think he was sick, or would you think, "ah well it all equals out."

Sure the child is at that point an innocent victim, but it could be retribution when they get to the age when they go back. I mean they'd watch themself turn into the person they hate most in life; everytime they look in the mirror, they's see their worst nightmare, but would you consider them a bad person?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Would it be immoral to go back in time and molest youself as a child?
    Thanks for my gag reflex of the day.

Actually, I'm going to pretend I'm ten years older, and write a letter to myself now:

Join things in college. Have fun! Try things. See how you like them. You'll never know how much you like them until you try them. Get involved now and then. You're not going to get a slap in the face for trying new things and deciding you don't like them. How could you know, unless you tried? Be easy. (No, not in that way.) Move easily in your own skin, and be easy on yourself. Don't fret about getting the A in every class. You don't need to belong to the honors group, even though it looks like it's pretty simple for you to be invited. They've already offered you membership, so that must mean you have something going on upstairs, even if you don't have the work ethic. Don't spurn your hopes in the interest of avoiding disappointment. Pessimists probably close a lot of doors for themselves and glance right over a lot of opportunities. Hey, enjoy the library once in a while, too. You know, the one by your dad's house. It's spring, so there are going to be a lot more beautiful days coming up. Pick up a few promising books. Don't be afraid to invite your friends to take part in your joys with you. Don't fret anyone's rejection, even if you like them.

Just enjoy your own time, and enjoy yourself. Try, and fail, as you will. But you are worthy, even if you don't always feel like it. Failing doesn't necessarily say anything about you, your worth, or your self-esteem; it just means that if you want to, you have the room to improve.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    As ladylike as I am I wasn't saying necessarily I would do it. But if we lived in a reality where time travel was commonplace and a friend said to you, "I just went back and molested myself," would you think he was sick, or would you think, "ah well it all equals out."

Sure the child is at that point an innocent victim, but it could be retribution when they get to the age when they go back. I mean they'd watch themself turn into the person they hate most in life; everytime they look in the mirror, they's see their worst nightmare, but would you consider them a bad person?
    If you become your worst nightmare, you might have a problem. However you deal with that problem is up to you. If you take it out on others, I'd say it's a bad idea. If you somehow resolve the issue and overcome it, then I'd say you've triumphed over yourself.

But the act of molesting yourself and causing yourself psychological harm? Seems awful to me.

Mempy: Seems like you have a healthy, observant handle on your life. Some people are really afraid of failure and get wound up too tight. I'm curious though, why'd you choose to write to yourself from the POV of your future self, instead of the original idea?

-A

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I'm curious though, why'd you choose to write to yourself from the POV of your future self, instead of the original idea?

-A
    Was feelin' it. It's the first thing that came to mind, and I found it a lot more poignant for me because I've been going through a really rough patch since college started for me.

Thanks!
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Dear, Myself right after I finish writing this.

Get off your ass, seroiusly you need to go to the gym.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I wrote a letter, which I will post in my blog later- it was mostly advice to me about how to avoid making disasterous decisions!

However, knowing myself, I know that I would have completely disregarded the advice, deciding that I'm too lucky and smart to get into trouble, and would end up in exactly the same place that I am now!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Dear SP,

When you go out to have your birthday dinner on October 9th, 1998 at the Olive Garden, DO NOT under ANY circumstances order the chicken pasta with alfredo sauce. Have a salad, and enjoy being stomach pain free for the two weeks following.

Love,
    SP2K8

P.S. Wear a condom. Always.