User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 16

  1. #1
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538

    Joy and the Abreaction

    Standing between us and joy is the abreaction.

    The abreaction is all the fear, hatred and rage we have repressed during our upbringing.

    So to our surprise, we feel fear, hatred and rage when we first start to experience joy.

    And worse, our abreaction is socially unacceptable. So we must repress it once again to survive in society, just as we repressed it to survive in our family.

    So we are in the perfect trap. We long to experience joy, but the first thing we experience is the abreaction.

    Is there a way out of this trap?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,003

    Default

    Drugs.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #3
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538
    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Drugs.
    Yes, the purpose of the drug culture is to suppress the abreaction. And in suppressing the abreaction, they also suppress the joy.

    Of course the drug culture does give the illusion of joy. But the illusion of joy is simply the relief at suppressing the abreaction.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, the purpose of the drug culture is to suppress the abreaction. And in suppressing the abreaction, they also suppress the joy.

    Of course the drug culture does give the illusion of joy. But the illusion of joy is simply the relief at suppressing the abreaction.
    ...Or perhaps it's just a high.

  5. #5
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Guess View Post
    ...Or perhaps it's just a high.
    The high is simply to disguise the emotional pain underneath.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The high is simply to disguise the emotional pain underneath.
    Or perhaps it has to do with the fact that people like to get high.

  7. #7
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Guess View Post
    Or perhaps it has to do with the fact that people like to get high.
    Chronic emotional pain is undeniably painful. And we will do almost anything to avoid pain, including joining the drug culture.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Chronic emotional pain is undeniably painful. And we will do almost anything to avoid pain, including joining the drug culture.
    OR, perhaps (and you can call me crazy, here), people enjoy the physical sensation of getting high, as people enjoy the physical sensation of having sex, or eating, or getting a massage.

  9. #9
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Guess View Post
    OR, perhaps (and you can call me crazy, here), people enjoy the physical sensation of getting high, as people enjoy the physical sensation of having sex, or eating, or getting a massage.
    Sure, I wouldn't disagree with you. And I guess here I am trying to look at the underlying psychological causes.

    And in particular I am looking at the causes through the distinction joy/joyless.

    Of course the highest some of us can hope for is relief from psychological pain, while others strive for psychological joy.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Sure, I wouldn't disagree with you. And I guess here I am trying to look at the underlying psychological causes.

    And in particular I am looking at the causes through the distinction joy/ joyless.

    Of course the highest some of us can hope for is relief from psychological pain, while others strive for psychological joy.
    I know; I was just messing with you. What you're saying makes perfect sense, actually. What people call catharsis, is the release of repressed negativity; only once the negativity has been moved past, can people actually head toward true joy. It is unfortunate that we must suffer through our repressed negativity before we can truly experience happiness. And, of course, your original point about the repression being due to societal influence is valid, as well.

    The question I have here is, is it possible to circumvent the abreaction to move toward true psychological health and happiness?

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. TED Talk By INFP MBTI Expert - The joys and pain of growing up different
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM
  3. Video: TED Talk By INFP MBTI Expert - The joy and pain of growing up different
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 09:07 PM
  4. [Te] The Message and the Messenger
    By proteanmix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO