User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default delusional self-identity

i have become increasingly disappointed by the lack of congruity between how people project themselves and how they actually are.

are people naturally inclined to present themselves as having more substance than they do, or less? i.e., will they take liberties with reality

could this be a symptom of the tendency people have to favor themselves rather than self-applying the same critique given to other things?

are people inclined to mimic and absorb things in order to form their self-identity?

do they do it on purpose, or do they suffer from some degree of delusion?

what purpose, ultimately, does one's opinion of one's self serve?

discuss.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post155939

MBTI
    INFP

Well, looking at the human race as a whole we are all almost exactly the same. For the sake of one's sanity, I think it is necessary to believe that we are different, special. If we didn't, everything would seem a bit pointless. It is this need that drives people to achieve amazing things and to push the boundaries, I think.
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    infp

I think a lot of it just has to do with how people are. Everyone has their introverted and extraverted sides of their personality, like yin and yang, and people are obviously going to see the extraverted side more no matter what, so when someone spills the introverted part, or it slowly reveals itself to you, it may seem incongruent.

However, there are still definitely a lot of people who have "social masks", and I think its sad that people do that.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Self-awareness is an inward form of consciousness that can be found in many, if not most human beings. It is developed and utilized in various degrees, of course, in some people being more highly developed and in others being more crudely conceived.

As social beings, the act of observing and mimicking others, serves as a crucial aspect in the integration of our understanding of our selves in contrast and comparison to other human beings.

I don't know, perhaps it is a matter of personal preference, perhaps some people don't even really care to know themselves...

The process of self-discovery via self-awareness/analysis has always been considered immensely important to me, and therefore has been diligently sought after by me. I am one who deeply believes that the surest way of *truly* understanding others, can only be achieved when one first, and foremost, honestly and accurately understands himself.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Frankly, I don't care to see behind the mask of some.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Many psychology theories say that people have a tendancy to view themselves in a positive light, regardless of acts. It's a requirement of a healthy person. I think this is the only well-accepted theory in both clinical and social psych.

MBTI
    INFP

Re OP: It's natural to present yourself in a what you perceive to be a good light, but I don't quite get what you're getting at..

MBTI
    INTP

We're all delusional man.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    Sad but true.

Still, that doesn't excuse the potential danger it causes, and the weakness in character it exposes.

Yes, we are all delusional to a certain extent, but some are *far* more delusional than others.

Just because "absolute truth" will never be found doesn't negate or deter the importance of seeking knowledge. One can get *closer* to the truth, and the process of getting closer, i.e. via exploration and discovery, provides sufficient reason to continue searching.

This actually reminds me of a particularly moving dedication I came across in one of my evolutionary bio. text books, where the author dedicates his book, "To all those readers who are seeking promising answers rather than final ones"

for those that *seek* truth!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Re OP: It's natural to present yourself in a what you perceive to be a good light, but I don't quite get what you're getting at..
    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Many psychology theories say that people have a tendancy to view themselves in a positive light, regardless of acts. It's a requirement of a healthy person. I think this is the only well-accepted theory in both clinical and social psych.
    so it's healthy for people to view themselves positively whether they ought to or not? wouldnt that be ignoring reality (and by reality, i mean the most qualified logic available)...

i would agree to say that this is normal behavior, but not necessarily healthy--which is sort-of what im getting at here.

there may be a good reason for people to be functionally delusional, but let's not mince words.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    one cannot escape the boundaries of their own perspective, but they can make an effort to consider themselves objectively and identify their own limits instead of assuming them.

i think a vast majority of people have a bad habit out of building themselves upon self-centered and presumptuous convictions rather than sticking to the facts.

i suspect this comes from a lack of the true confidence it takes to trust that you can still come out on top if you are realistic with yourself (people are afraid of what they dont know, that is why they shield themselves from the sort of things that have unknown implications). this becomes apparent when something occurs that crumbles the inflated self-opinion that results when people go through life unchecked.

when you think you've won, you've lost.

why do you think so many people get offended? because their image is merely a composite of unoriginal fragments perpetuated by the opinions of others. as soon as something disrupts this, they become vulnerable because they do not have their own, legitimate reasons for doing what they do.