User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the ultimate hoax victim type?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENTJ

0 0%
  • INTJ

0 0%
  • INTP

2 13.33%
  • ENTP

0 0%
  • ENFP

0 0%
  • INFP

1 6.67%
  • INFJ

1 6.67%
  • ENFJ

0 0%
  • ESFJ

1 6.67%
  • ISFJ

3 20.00%
  • ISTJ

0 0%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ISTP

0 0%
  • ISFP

5 33.33%
  • ESFP

2 13.33%
12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Ultimate hoax victim qualities?

I'm talking about the kind of behavior like..

-Getting involved in a pyramid scheme
    -Investing your fortune in a Ponzi scheme
    -Trusting in verbal agreements on business deals
    -Responding to chain letters that promise you a fortune
    -Responding to Nigerian letters
    -Believing that dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous chemical
    -Buying ineffective technology, like motor oil that supposedly doubles the engine's fuel efficiency
    -Resorting to ineffective, unneeded and expensive medication and treatments
    -Believing that the UltraPill 1233 really burns your body fat without you doing anything
    -Trusting that a fortune teller can find their missing child for a hefty fee
    -Investing in perpetual motion machines
    -Thinking that they can beat the stock market with some esoteric information
    -Sending their online bank account passwords to people asking them via email

This doesn't have to relate to MBTI, unless you think certain MBTI types are more likely victims of such hoaxes. I'm thinking more along the line of general psychology.

No, I ain't planning on exploiting their weaknesses. I'm just striving to understand what makes the suckers in the world so lost on what's real.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous chemical! I almost been injured by falls caused by the solid form of this chemical only last November! It really interferes with balance, you have to watch your step carefully when it is in the ground.

Anyway, I could see lack of skepticism coming into it (obviously), combined perhaps with a tendency to not take advice (so other people won't be able to tell the person that it is a bad idea), and/or greed/general fear (so people will be more easily emotionally influenced by the hoax).

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous chemical! I almost been injured by falls caused by the solid form of this chemical only last November! It really interferes with balance, you have to watch your step carefully when it is in the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I have heard that no more than a tablespoon or two of this, inhaled, can be fatal!
    My group is in the process of outlawing this insidious chemical. Would you like to support our cause with a donation of $100, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Anyway, I could see lack of skepticism coming into it (obviously), combined perhaps with a tendency to not take advice (so other people won't be able to tell the person that it is a bad idea), and/or greed/general fear (so people will be more easily emotionally influenced by the hoax).
    I'm thinking of ignorance of how mechanical, social and financial concepts work, combined with taking communication at face value. Perhaps lack of Ti and/or Si, too? Being unable to think thoroughly or familiarize oneself to all the facts of the situation?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

*makes note that INFP may be convinced with one-sided arguments*

Wanna buy shares in my company? It's in the business of space biology. Imagine what profits you'll lose if you don't buy now!

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Never trust an ENTP.
    But it'll be good for you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, maybe we need an "ultimate hoaxer" thread.

I nominate:
    * ENTP
    * ESFP
    * ESTP

as the top three "scammer types" out there.
    (At least in terms of motivation, passion, and skill.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Wow, I managed to completely throw the thread off topic. (so I'll split it.)

here

Please continue to discuss scamming, with a focus on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide, and how to make money off of it.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think all types are scammable, it is just a question of having to understand what makes them tick, which buttons to press.

Possibly Fs are easier if we assume that emotions are easier to sway than logic?

Sensates likely too, given they see concrete things, and concrete things are easier to fake ("evidence") vs the future...

The hardest would be high self monitors and quick thinking types... Or fellow scammers.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    -Thinking that they can beat the stock market with some esoteric information
    Well, look at this:

"'Zero intelligence' trading closely mimics stock market"

'Zero intelligence' trading closely mimics stock market - fundamentals - 01 February 2005 - New Scientist

Or this:

Allocative Efficiency of Markets with Zero-Intelligence Traders: Market as a Partial Substitute for Individual Rationality
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

*gulp* I chose INFP because as a youngster I was way too open and wanting to see the good in people.

But now I wish I'd chosen ISFP - they seem to be more consistently overly trusting of others.

Whereas, as Joni Mitchell put it, an idealistic INFP is more likely to eventually end up "Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe".

But who knows, alot of those women I see on TV who fall for love scammers seem like ESF types.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    NICE

I had a ISFJ friend who had always struck me as being completely sensible, hardworking and - above all - loyal.

He got hooked up with some crazy chick while working away from home and fell head-over-heals for her, even though it was apparent that she was a rotten egg (and that's being kind). All his friends tried to tell him - it was *obvious* she was a gold-digger - but he still wouldn't accept that this reptile is anything other than his *last chance*; "I can't help my feelings" became his answer to everything.

Now he's lost his girlfriend, friends, his house, he's hopelessly in debt - thanks to the "business projects" she's set up and put her name on (without putting anything in, of course). It looks like his job may be on the line because he's never off the 'phone to her! Anyone who knows the guy has commented that it's like a weird alter-ego has taken over.

As for the lady in question - ESTP *of course*