Thread: The Dunning–Kruger Effect

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh also you can be trained in certain classes in college for example to bullshit with confidence. English teachers want you to write as though you know what you're talking about, and I'm sure this goes to much deeper depths with people who say, go to law school, for example.

In these cases, though, we know we're doing it so that people will pay attention. At least I do.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Senior Member Array Lily flower's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

This would really explain those people who try out for America's Got Talent and American Idol who are absolutely horrible, and equally convinced that they are amazing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Some people are convinced by others of their greatness. I think many American Idol hopefuls may have been unintentionally duped in this manner, perhaps by friends and relatives who are just trying to help.
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

filling some space Array UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

"Intelligence on a certain topic" is roughly equivalent to "one's running speed with rocket shoes attached".

As a hint, running speed isn't measured like that. Nor is one's intelligence.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    This would really explain those people who try out for America's Got Talent and American Idol who are absolutely horrible, and equally convinced that they are amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Some people are convinced by others of their greatness. I think many American Idol hopefuls may have been unintentionally duped in this manner, perhaps by friends and relatives who are just trying to help.
    Some also know they suck and go on the show for their 15 minutes of fame.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect
    "The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their own abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority.

"Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others". The effect is about paradoxical defects in cognitive ability, both in oneself and as one compares oneself to others."
    When reading this I couldn't help but think about the four stages of competence. Illusory superiority correlates with the first stage- unconsciously incompetent. Underestimating your competence sounds like it corresponds to the fourth stage- unconsciously competent. You just perform the skill without thinking much about it, taking it for granted, perhaps not realizing how good you really are.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    When reading this I couldn't help but think about the four stages of competence. Illusory superiority correlates with the first stage- unconsciously incompetent. Underestimating your competence sounds like it corresponds to the fourth stage- unconsciously competent. You just perform the skill without thinking much about it, taking it for granted, perhaps not realizing how good you really are.
    I didn't know about the stages of competence. But I'm mainly describing the first stage, unconsciously incompetent. Someone reaching for whatever shreds of self-esteem he can by overestimating his own talents.
    Reminder (for others):
    Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.

I didn't know about the stages of competence. But I'm mainly describing the first stage, unconsciously incompetent. Someone reaching for whatever shreds of self-esteem he can by overestimating his own talents.
    Someone who is unconsciously incompetent is unaware of their incompetence. It is the second and third stage where what you are talking about would occur.

Edit: No, that is what I always thought but it doesn't sound like it on that wiki page.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, I've routinely struggled with it. Experience did help me, though -- the more time I spent around people whose I was able to engage and press for more information, the more I realized they didn't know as much as they thought they did. Their lack of understanding led them to remain unaware to how much they didn't actually know. Meanwhile, I was always too acutely aware of what I didn't know, and since I didn't want to say something wrong, I would be careful not to state more than what I knew.

So my experience helped me realize that not everyone else is like me that way. There are people who are perfectly fine speaking boldly on things they know nothing about, as if they did.
    Reminds me of "The Apology". by Plato... lol