User Tag List

123 Last

Epiphany

Default Recurring Thoughts of Death

How common is this? Do you ever feel like you're not destined to live a long life in this world? I would say it crosses my mind on a weekly basis and is becoming more frequent. I'm not depressed or anything and it doesn't accompany feelings of dread or anxiety. I've lived a fairly decent life compared to a lot of people so it wouldn't be a terrible tragedy. Other than this recurring thought, I am mostly optimistic about my future. I have no desire to die and I don't consciously think about it, but this gut feeling keeps creeping back into my mind.

:dead1:
    Last edited by Epiphany; 09-19-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

OCD.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    OCD.
    What? I know for a fact that I don't have OCD.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's a symptom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to have repetitive thoughts about death...especially if you're not actually depressed or suffering from panic attacks.

Whatever. I'm just trying to help.

You apparently want me to confirm that this "means" something. Maybe it does, or maybe you WANT to die and won't admit it to yourself.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's a symptom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to have repetitive thoughts about death...especially if you're not actually depressed or suffering from panic attacks.

Whatever. I'm just trying to help.

You apparently want me to confirm that this "means" something. Maybe it does, or maybe you WANT to die and won't admit it to yourself.
    I don't want you to confirm the meaning of anything. I asked if it was common. I would prefer it if people wouldn't try to psychoanalyze others until they've undergone some thorough introspection themselves.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Um yeah just trying to help. Didn't know your thread had rules.

And I'm not sure what you mean about having gone through some introspection themselves. I'm presuming you did introspection perhaps before posting this, and I've had years of therapy.

Bye.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Have you hit 30 yet? For some reason, at about 30 I started to really consider the reality of death. I can't say i ever really worried about it in my twenties or teens. But I've heard this is fairly common.

I also noticed that by the time I was 30 I had experienced more than a fluke of young people dying.. car accidents, drug-overdoses, suicide, crime, and even occasionally from health problems. If I had any questions about my own mortality this seemed to drive the point home.

I don't think it is neccessarily OCD, alot of people report that they think of death much more when they age, or when they are exposed to people they know well passing. I have also had strange fears like what you mention from time to time.. I wouldn't even say it's a fear.. more like "oh that would happen to me, i'd be that one person in 25k to have such and such happen" .. but I think this is actually coming from my E4 trait--- meaning that 4's tend to really focus on their differences, thus they probably pick up so called "patterns" of weird shit happening to them.. but it's not really a pattern in the scheme of things.. like weird stuff probably happens to other people just as much, if not more, but the 4 sees it more. Thus they go forward convinced that weird shit is bound to happen to them.. based on this self created pattern, and might find themselves saying stuff like "I've just always had a feeling I'd die young" or "I just always had a feeling that I might not be able to have children" or "I just always have a feeling I'd end up living in a different country".. etc.

Now, if your not a 4, and your not over 28-ish, and you haven't been exposed to someone close passing, or observed some type of death incident that really impacted you, or you haven't had some type of belief system you were holding onto really challenged.. then I have no idea why you might be doing this. Hopefully someone else has good ideas.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Partly along the lines of what Huxley said, I would wonder if perhaps a significant number of people in your circle (either intimate circle, or wider acquaintances) have died. I've known loads of people who have died. The majority have been elderly, but particularly from the ages of 13-22 or so, a good many people in my family or in my family's circle of acquaintanceship died. These included deaths by cancer at a premature age, by tragic accidents, and by suicide. While only a few of these people were genuinely close to me, I've realised that this period in my life marked me forever. I wouldn't say I personally have recurrent thoughts of dying, but I have slightly morbid thoughts about how I'd rather be hit by a bus than have a slow painful death...and certainly, when a long time has gone by and no one I know has died, I find myself bracing for it. I expect it to happen.

I don't know if that relates at all but if you are very concerned about it, perhaps speak with a therapist if you are able to.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Epiphany

@Huxley: Interesting insight. I am a Type 4 and almost 28. I did have a life-altering shift in my values a couple of years ago that changed my perspective on the world, for better or worse. Occasionally, I hear of a young acquaintance passing away. My dad was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago too, which makes me wonder how long he will be here. I'm sure much of that contributes to it. It's usually a fleeting thought that comes out of nowhere and doesn't tremendously impact my mood, but keeps coming back. It's not specific or anything, just a feeling of finality.

Epiphany

@SilkRoad: I can't say that I've lost a lot of people who were close to me, but it seems like there have been a lot of acquaintances in the last few years. I'm sure it's all relative.