User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: laziness vs. depression

Default laziness vs. depression

How can you tell the difference between someone with dysthymia(or other mood disorder) and someone who is just truly lazy?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    http://wedesignmedicine.com/
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

is there such a thing as someone who is just truly lazy?

it's always depression IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    How can you tell the difference between someone with dysthymia(or other mood disorder) and someone who is just truly lazy?
    Having had a bout of clinical depression, I would say a noticable change in thinking. Depression thoughts are extremely negative, circular and hopeless.

Yes, one can be just plain lazy. If you throw on a game instead of taking care of business, you're procrastinating or lazy (different.) If depression is the problem, you wouldn't even be interested in playing a game.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    If you throw on a game instead of taking care of business, you're procrastinating or lazy (different.) If depression is the problem, you wouldn't even be interested in playing a game.
    if you play a game instead of doing work, either the work isn't important (which wouldn't be laziness) OR it is important and you choose not to do it. if you aren't doing things that are important, you're sabotaging yourself. if you're sabotaging yourself, you're self-destructive.

if you have 2 options A and B, and A will make you happier in the long term than B, you should choose A. if you choose B, that's not laziness...that's depression.

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII

Well, I think people sometimes use games to deal with depression. (others drink, some watch TV, others eat.) Many addictions are attempts at self-medication to avoid dealing with depression... or because the depression seems unresolvable.

Lazy: You're perfectly healthy and spirited, you just would rather do fun stuff than do your work. You just don't feel like doing your work.

Depressed: Even when you do your work and try your best, you feel like crap. You don't feel like doing much. And when you play games, you're often STILL feeling an undercurrent of boredom/depression/unhappiness.
    Hey Capa. We're only stardust.

She was waiting, but she didn't know for what. She was aware only of her solitude, and of the penetrating cold, and of a greater weight in the region of her heart. ~ Albert Camus

Movie Reviews: What Jenny Saw

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Lazy: You're perfectly healthy and spirited, you just would rather do fun stuff than do your work. You just don't feel like doing your work.
    if you get all of your work done on time, though, it doesn't matter. i wouldn't even call it lazy.

if you don't get it all done on time BECAUSE you do "fun stuff" rather than work, that means, at least subconsciously, that you CHOSE the course of action that would be worse for you. which isn't lazy, it's self destructive.

i don't believe in laziness.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE

well........
    now that we have defined it, or at least colored the outlines
    how would you all suggest that one break the said spell of depression ?
    "Without challenge, without discipline, without persistence, without mindfulness....without."
    Avery Dena

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    well........
    now that we have defined it, or at least colored the outlines
    how would you all suggest that one break the said spell of depression ?
    If its mild and you're not into the circular thinking or hopelessness, then cognitive readjustment works well. Whatever you are seeing in the negative, find the opposing positive thought. If you're too far into depression to find it, ask someone to help with that.

in response to the OP:

because the lazy person would be happy; while the depressed person would be anergic.

they say depression is anger without the enthusiasm. There is negation there.

laziness, meanwhile, is just a general satisfaction with who and what you are right now, and no impetus to change anything.

edit: good post, seanan. Speaking as a depressive myself, it's about breaking the negative loop in your mind. either replace the thoughts, or force yourself to zone them out. It's mental control. Tough though, because it requires you to be conscious of which thoughts are depressing you, what your triggers are, and then to take active steps to replace them. it's like fighting what was genetically keyed into you. exhausting at times.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Lazyness = I can't be bothered.
    Depression = Why bother?

Bother.. such a strange word when it's written. Seems almost wrong as a word some how.

Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.