User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 99

  1. #81
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    Just to be on the safe side, let's say everyone here is out of their minds.

    Oh and Jonnyboy, if memory serves, you were harassing OMW which led to your banning.
    Memory does serve you. Full explanation can be found here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #82
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    That is a nasty allegation to make against someone.
    Fair enough, my apologies to all. In any case, I would refer to the citation list in Jeffrey Goldstein's "Why We Watch: The Attractions of Violent Entertainment". Most research deals with why we enjoy it though, not if; although you can find research on "if" in gradients (gender, social class, personality, etc.)

  3. #83
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    The disorders are binary in the sense that you either fit the criteria or you don't but there is a range of severity (up to a point) between individuals. If one does not exactly fit the criteria but has serious issues, he can be classed as "personality disorders NOS".
    Last edited by Glycerine; 12-16-2012 at 03:01 AM.

  4. #84
    Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Posts
    3,263

    Default

    I thought Haight might be one, but he doesn't seem to have the requisite cunning or charm.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

  5. #85
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I thought Haight might be one, but he doesn't seem to have the requisite cunning or charm.
    I'd ask why, but I just want to say I have only reason to think that label wouldn't fit him very well.

  6. #86
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just poppin' in to say Zarathustra.
    I guess it's possible to believe there are those who find Z charming, but it stretches credulity somewhat.

    Haight is a big softy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    You get me wrong; I believe you, specifically, do enjoy it and exist in a state of self-denial about it.
    Wouldn't my "state of denial" make my "enjoyment" difficult to experience?

    You're under no obligation to believe me,of course, but all I can tell you is that from childhood, I have registered the physical pain of others as my own. Watching anything brutal is brutalising to my psyche. For that reason, I tend to avoid horror and violence in entertainment, or even in reportage. I'm the kind of person who rescues spiders from bathtubs, ffs.
    (I'm not sure what motive I could have for lying about that...)

    Still, just because not everyone is a sadist, doesn't mean you ought to feel guilty about being one yourself.
    I'd put you at a higher rate than the average population; probability is derived for your obvious interest in conflict. It is highly unlikely that you do not enjoy the general arousal that comes with conflict taken farther. Only as a point of conversation - I barely know you.
    Interesting "point of conversation". I bet you're a hoot at dinner parties: "Your propensity to argue with me leaves me to believe you must be a criminal mastermind!".
    Let's all be thankful you aren't an authority on psychology/criminology.

    I have no idea why you think there is a link between an impersonal (or even aggressive) approach to debate and an enjoyment of the suffering of others. In my experience, the people who most enjoy vicarious violence (in entertainment, for example) are passive-aggressive, rather than directly confrontational. I have imagined this to be a sort of cathartic exercise for people who repress their anger.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I'm just baffled.
    Maybe because you look to OKCupid as an authority?
    Certainly, the last thing you quoted supports my statement.
    also this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    The disorders are binary in the sense that you either fit the criteria or you don't but there is a range of severity (up to a point) between individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  7. #87
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I'm not a psychopath, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

    I was in a store and I asked a couple of guys if they knew what time it was.
    One said, " No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." I replied, "Who gives a shit?"
    That caught them off-guard and we laughed.

    I didn't realize it was a commercial when he laid that line on me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    Just poppin' in to say Zarathustra.
    What he is too timid to do IRL he comes online to do. (That's why I laugh when he plays Mr. Tough Guy. It's fake.)
    But I think suggesting he's a psychopath is pushing it.

    On a side note, when did Jonnyboytoy get banned? I have no recollection of that.

  8. #88
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Still, just because not everyone is a sadist, doesn't mean you ought to feel guilty about being one yourself.
    I meant that I see you as normal and have no reason to assume otherwise.

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    @ptgatsby - I was taken aback when I read your posts here. I am generally quite a detached person and the last one to fall for a "sob story", but I find images of real life suffering i.e. a kid who has just been bombed in Gaza and lost their legs, to be quite sickening. Not because I am especially moral, maybe it's just selfish cowardice and guilt on my part, but in any case, the opposite of pleasurable. Is there any supporting evidence of what you are claiming as hard fact?

  10. #90
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    @ptgatsby - I was taken aback when I read your posts here. I am generally quite a detached person and the last one to fall for a "sob story", but I find images of real life suffering i.e. a kid who has just been bombed in Gaza and lost their legs, to be quite sickening. Not because I am especially moral, maybe it's just selfish cowardice and guilt on my part, but in any case, the opposite of pleasurable. Is there any supporting evidence of what you are claiming as hard fact?
    Given the general reaction I think I gave the wrong impression of what I am referring to. I'm talking about the rapid increase in the consumption of violence in the general media, meaning shows, movies and so forth. Violence as entertainment. Ask yourself a different set of questions to see where I am coming from; why does the news bother people while we consume billions of dollars of (violent ladden) movies that entertain us? Would you say the people in today's time are significantly different than those that enjoyed gladiator sports, too? We have a natural empathy, and various social masks, but it needs to be triggered.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] ENFPs: do you like psychopaths?
    By BlueScreen in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 08-01-2017, 02:27 PM
  2. TYPOC DIPLOMACY
    By murkrow in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 07:25 AM
  3. TypoC Marriage!
    By Costrin in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 06-06-2009, 01:03 AM
  4. Ygolo's TypoC Math Tutoring Service
    By ygolo in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 01:40 AM
  5. Serial Killers/Sociopaths/Psychopaths
    By soleil in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 02:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO