User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 46

  1. #1
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default Unexplained Phenomena

    Ever heard of anything strange or supernatural? I tend to be skeptical of these things, but I have heard one story I find it hard not to believe.

    My high school psychology teacher once told my class about certain dreams she used to have. She would have a dream where someone she knew died, and then shortly afterward, that same person actually did die in real life. It happened many times, for years even, and the dreams always came true. It got to the point where people were telling her, "If you see someone I know die in one of your dreams, don't tell me." After a while, though, the dreams stopped and she hasn't had one of them since.

    I wouldn't believe this story coming from just anyone, but I know that she's not the kind of person who would make up a story like that. She even said herself that she's skeptical about that kind of thing.

    Of course I don't believe in the supernatural, but I don't see how it could be a coincidence. I think it could just be something we don't have any kind of scientific explanation for at this point, something we don't know about yet.

  2. #2
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    I've always found it more interesting to examine the people who make claims about the supernatural, rather than the supernatural itself. A fairly large number of people are actively trying to bridge the gap between the natural and the supernatural... Science with fantasy. The only way in which I agree with this group is that I think it's important to develop a personal bond with the things around you, even if they're scientific. Usually, that comes naturally because we are personal creatures. The reason I mention this is that many among the scientific community deny that personal element. For instance, on the record of the "scientific community", animals are generally regarded as automatons, just creatures who do things without thinking or experiencing emotions. That's quite the stretch. Their reasoning is that they have no evidence because emotions can't be quantified. If you ask me, it can be inferred that they have emotions from the evidence that they share the corresponding parts with humans. I mean, if they were to really be strict about it, wouldn't they also claim that no humans have emotions except for their individual selves? That sounds wacky. I know. But that's the way their reasoning follows.

    Until i witness something supernatural that shakes me to the core, besides what I consider to be the miracle of our lives and everything that surrounds us, then I'll probably just toss it aside as a fabrication or product of confusion.

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    I think it could just be something we don't have any kind of scientific explanation for at this point, something we don't know about yet.
    This is what I think and I think it's very rigid and closed minded of people to disregard something that happens to so many people, so many SANE people.

    People can have connections to each other, through dreams or feelings or "just knowing" and it has nothing to do with "predicting the future" or whatever, and it's what I consider to be a separate form of intuition from Jungian intuition. I have this sort of connection with someone right now, and have had with others in the past.

    I also believe that people leave energy behind in places and on objects, I think this is very true, and is what people call "ghosts."

    The night a friend of mine committed suicide I dreamed we were in a white train station and that he had to go somewhere on the train. Interestingly, after a self-inflicted gun shot wound to the head, he had not immediately died, so he would have been in a coma when this happened. His parents took him off of life support the next morning after I had found out he had shot himself. I was 13.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Until i witness something supernatural that shakes me to the core, besides what I consider to be the miracle of our lives and everything that surrounds us, then I'll probably just toss it aside as a fabrication or product of confusion.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what to think about this story from my psychology teacher. I can't dismiss it, nor can I completely accept it until I have actually experienced something like it. It's important to be skeptical of such stories, but it's also important to keep an open mind (especially when it comes from a source you trust). So I guess I'll just hold it as a possibility for now.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Vizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    229

    Default

    I'm utterly fascinated with unexplained phenomena and unsolved mysteries. It tickles both my imagination and thinking, and puts life into perspective.
    There are some things I find silly (e.g. zombies, religious myths treated as fact...) and some things I'm probably 100% sure exists (e.g. extraterrestrial life) but I don't really take a strong stand on anything else. Ghosts, prophetic dreams, dopplegangers, the spirit world, out-of-body experiences, possession, spontaneous human combustion, fortune-telling - I love hearing accounts regarding these. I may question the evidence and truth - but only for that particular story. If I doubt the validity of a single story, it doesn't ruin the entire belief/theory of, say, the existence of ghosts for me. I don't have the need to choose a side as many people seem to do. It's much more exciting to be in the middle. (I'd be interested to hear what cognitive functions/type people see in what I've just written).
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

  6. #6
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what to think about this story from my psychology teacher. I can't dismiss it, nor can I completely accept it until I have actually experienced something like it. It's important to be skeptical of such stories, but it's also important to keep an open mind (especially when it comes from a source you trust). So I guess I'll just hold it as a possibility for now.
    Right. At least see it as someone's point of view and adjust later, if you will.

  7. #7
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Bigfoot is interesting, hairy wildmen myths and encounters are almost universal and occur even in places where undiscovered apes make no biological or geographical sense (New Zealand).

    Some claim that all of these creatures must have a common origin and I think they do, there origin must be inside the human mind, something leftover from when we actually did share our world with large, hairy powerfully built "ape men".
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  8. #8
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    This is what I think and I think it's very rigid and closed minded of people to disregard something that happens to so many people, so many SANE people.

    People can have connections to each other, through dreams or feelings or "just knowing" and it has nothing to do with "predicting the future" or whatever, and it's what I consider to be a separate form of intuition from Jungian intuition. I have this sort of connection with someone right now, and have had with others in the past.

    I also believe that people leave energy behind in places and on objects, I think this is very true, and is what people call "ghosts."

    The night a friend of mine committed suicide I dreamed we were in a white train station and that he had to go somewhere on the train. Interestingly, after a self-inflicted gun shot wound to the head, he had not immediately died, so he would have been in a coma when this happened. His parents took him off of life support the next morning after I had found out he had shot himself. I was 13.
    Wow, that's an amazing (and very sad ) story. I've actually experienced a similar sort of connection with someone before (though it's possible it's an odd coincidence). One night I had a dream about a childhood friend who had moved away a couple years prior. We were just playing video games and laughing and having a great time, like how it used to be. Then that day, he showed up on my doorstep to say hi because he had come back to visit his friends. That was the first and last time I can remember ever having a dream about him.

  9. #9

    Default

    I have experienced unexplained phenomena. I can offer no explanation, just my personal experience. They are deeply personal events tied to the house I lived in as a child where my uncle killed himself.

    I also believe in bullshitters transfixed by the unknowable and the mysterious glow their tales cast upon themselves.

    My personal experience trumps my cynical perspective of supernatural attention whores, but it (understandably) can't do the same for others. As a result of this futility, I stopped sharing my experiences long ago.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  10. #10
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    If you can't explain everything you see on a daily basis, then do you experience unexplained phenomena routinely?

Similar Threads

  1. Weird, Dark, Unusual, Unexplained
    By Thalassa in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2015, 11:42 PM
  2. Not exactly current events, history maybe. Weird, unexplained.
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 01:37 AM
  3. Amazing Inventions and Scientific Phenomena That Are Taken For Granted
    By LunarMoon in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 08:33 PM
  4. Types & Internet phenomena
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO