First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think people who don't experience any of this kind of intuition or telepathy or sensitivity to energy are being ridiculous when they say they don't believe it exists just because they can't do it.

I'm terrible at Algebra and I really don't comprehend how someone figures out light years between planets in math, but if I said it wasn't real just because I don't understand it or am incapable of it myself, that would be ridiculous. Because frankly, it's similar. Saying you know "light years" distance in space sounds pretty far fetched, equally or even more so than saying you just know when something is wrong with your boyfriend even though he's not in your physical presence.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've witnessed an interesting list of UNEXPLAINED PHENOMENA <--- imagine those letters waving. Does this mean the universe doesn't work as I was taught in Science class? Maybe. Does this change anything in what I do from day to day and how I make my decisions. Probably not.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think people who don't experience any of this kind of intuition or telepathy or sensitivity to energy are being ridiculous when they say they don't believe it exists just because they can't do it.

I'm terrible at Algebra and I really don't comprehend how someone figures out light years between planets in math, but if I said it wasn't real just because I don't understand it or am incapable of it myself, that would be ridiculous. Because frankly, it's similar. Saying you know "light years" distance in space sounds pretty far fetched, equally or even more so than saying you just know when something is wrong with your boyfriend even though he's not in your physical presence.
    Poor logic. What people subjectively perceive cannot be compared to an objectively verifiable method of inquiry. Algebra is both logically consistent and can be demonstrated to provide reliable information; it is merely a manner of approaching the world that is theoretically accessible to anyone. Claims to supernatural experiences, on the other hand, are entirely constrained to the experience of the subject. Merely claiming that one can or does possess mystical properties is not a sufficient basis for credibility. There must be some manner for me to realize the existence of stated phenomena or their effects before I accept them as real, otherwise they are merely contingent upon whim.

It is no more valid to claim that because one does not grasp algebra that algebraic explanations cannot be accepted as real than it is to assert that because one is blind, visible wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum do not exist. Similarly, schizophrenia as a mental disorder does exist due the existence of individuals who exhibit involuntary symptoms associated with the disorder, but the actual hallucinations those individuals experience do not exist outside of their minds.

It is also flawed to conflate intuition with telepathy or "sensitivity to energy." Intuition is an aspect of human psychology that does not require blind faith in order to be regarded as true. Intuition can be scientifically explained and can serve to assist reasoning. Mysticism need not enter the sphere of intuition.

If, for example, it could be established that certain individuals are capable of transferring thoughts to other minds by way of some as yet unknown mechanism or that there is a seemingly present but mysterious energy source affecting people, then telepathy and this mysterious energy would gain plausibility, but this is not at all what has occurred.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I think she meant just because you've never experienced it and can't explain it does not mean it doesn't exist.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i had an out of body experience once...and my sisters and i saw several ghosts over the period of a week while staying in a hotel once when we were kids. my sister knew the night and exact time my grandmother passed before anyone told us and i knew the second my phone rang that my little sister had died. i have had dreams where i went to visit my father who also passed and they always had the same theme...me realizing he was not dead..just somewhere else...us talking about our life and catching up...you'd have to experience it yourself to believe like i do that it was a real visit.

i believe in a spiritual life tho...and i believe in a true soul type connection and i believe we have astral bodies that can travel in our dream state and i believe in mediums and psychics.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I might guess that the woman in the OP had unconsciously picked up on indirect signs that these people might die (maybe through things people said or did regarding these people), and then her subconscious fed the fear of their death back to her via a dream. Dreams tend to be expressions from our subconscious of what we fear/hope, and it may appear to be a "prediction" when/if it actually happens, but really it's just that your fear/hope was founded in reality; you simply did not consciously note the info in reality that made up the fear/hope.
    This is exactly what I thought of after reading OP, and what I tend to think about many phenomenons. The brain is in a constant state of perceiving, and we are really not consciously aware of massive amounts of information that is rattling around and finding subtle connections and correlatons. Our mistake is believing that we can only know something on a conscious level and even then only if it meets very rigid human constructs of "knowing". Science is definately not all encompassing, and I understand exactly what Marmie meant with the algebra example. People put too much weight on objective knowledge. Objective knowledge is only the majoritys ruleset in attributing charactoristics to an object. Doesn't make it any more true, just makes it popular. Often those rulesets will align with other rule sets, creating a "proof". But until the entire picture is fully alligned truth can not be found. Truth can never be fully grasped as long as you have any kind of subject-object seperation, which is the human condition. This is why many spiritual followers seek out things like meditation, believing the closest truth you will ever come to is in your state of being. THe more your ego and mind attempts to "know" the more illusion you create.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I think she meant just because you've never experienced it and can't explain it does not mean it doesn't exist.
    That is true, but it doesn't follow from this that the premises in such a situation are true and the logic valid. We may not simply assert anything as "filler" so long as we are in a state of ignorance. If you produce a positive claim, then you must provide evidence for it.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

ThatGirl

I had a dream one time that I could breathe under water if I took breaths very slowly. The next morning, I woke up with strep throat and swollen tonsils.....

Woooooooo!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I had a dream one time that I could breathe under water if I took breaths very slowly. The next morning, I woke up with strep throat and swollen tonsils.....

Woooooooo!
    Huh I dream I can breathe underwater all the time!

ThatGirl

Yes, but are they prophetic of swollen tonsils?