• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fact and Faith

Mole

Permabanned
I have discovered there is no way back. I have discovered there is no way home. Once I have left home, I can't find my way back.

Once I learnt to think critically, once I learnt to dissent, I found I no longer had the comforts of faith.

But worse, I didn't want to take things for granted anymore. Rather I reveled in critique.

And even in the face of social rejection, I found I could not help but criticise and dissent. And I loved it. It tickled something deep inside me. And it appealed to my conscience.

But the strange thing is that it has transformed me from a good boy to an exuberant dissenter.

And I look back to that good little boy and know I can never go back to the comforts of trust and faith.

As a good boy I was taught faith and reason and to believe only what is reasonable. But today I follow reason and empirical evidence because they lead to fact.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmmm. i think that this following reasoning and empirical evidence also needs faith. you have faith in the evidence and the reasoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research#Scientific_research

like it says there, a hypothesis can never be proven, but only supported by scientific research. so, if you believe that the empirical research is the truth, its about faith too. i like to reason and see empirical evidence as a back up for a theory, some of the thwories can have so much evidence and be reasoned so clearly that they are almost seen as the truth and used like the truth, but nevertheless ots just a theory, just highly supported one.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
But today I follow reason and empirical evidence because they lead to fact.

So now you have faith in reason and empiricism. :D

Last edited:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find that everybody has a type of faith. Some people just don't recognize it and many have a knee jerk reaction to anything implying that they do. I find it amusing that the people who aspire to be the most logical have to delude themselves in order to ever feel that they reached their goals. We are not completely rational creatures, nor can we afford to be. A list of things behaviors people espouse that involves denial of current empirical evidence, or cannot be supported by it:

1. It is better to be alive than dead, or visa versa.
2. You have freewill.
3. Your way of [thinking/doing/governing/etc] is better. Define better by fact. You can only define it according to a goal, which is defined by values, which is an unconsciously and prerational set of rules we learned. The rules may be dictated by a greater survival impulse, see item 1.

Mole

Permabanned
I think it is important to say that faith is not based on emprical evidence. For instance, there is no empirical evidence establishing the nature or even the existence of the Trinity. And when you put this to the believers in the Trinity, all they say is that the Trinity is a mystery, not a fact.

Mole

Permabanned
And if everyone has faith there is no way to distinguish between those with faith and those without. And so the statement, everyone has faith, is indistinguishable from, no one has faith.

So to say, everyone has faith is the same as saying, no one has faith.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think what you are referring to may be not necessarily critical thinking, but skepticism. I have found is that often people who develop a skeptical side err too much in the wrong direction also, just as people who have blind faith sometimes do. Remember that at one time, Galileo said that the earth went around the sun and it was the skeptics who said, no, clearly the sun goes around the earth, just look up in the sky. Skepticism can lead to just as much error as blind faith.

Little_Sticks

Weird, it's actually the opposite for me. Now I have no choice but to accept faith as inseparable from science. Reality only has meaning because we give it meaning; it's essential to everything, especially our dna, especially our unconscious influences. If you analyze what it means to perceive and how that relates to existence, you'll probably realize existence is meaningless without it.

I realized there is no meaning of the word objective without the subjective and no meaning of subjective without the objective. chicken or the egg.

Mole

Permabanned
Reality only has meaning because we give it meaning;
Sure, we observe patterns and give them meaning, but some patterns are true and some aren't. For instance, for 200,000 years we observed the Sun moving across the sky, and the meaning we gave this observation was that the Sun goes round the Earth.

In the same way, for 200,000 years we observed patterns in nature and gave them meanings. The predominent meaning we gave the patterns of nature was Animism. We knew no better tnan to ascribe agency to inanimate matter.

And we personified the agency we thought we saw in nature. And so we explained nature in terms of the supernatural, and supernatural agents such as God.

However in the Enlightenment in the West in the 17th and 18th Centuries, we discovered the scientific method. And so we started to look for empirical evidence of the supernatural, but found none.

And so today in societies based on the Enlighenment, the only way we can believe in the supernatural is through blind faith.

And today, because the supernaturalists have no intellectual integrity, they became hysterical and elevate faith to a virtue in itself.

In fact the supernaturalists are in mourning for their God who died in the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries.

All except the Islamists who have never experienced the Enlightenment and who naively believe Allah created the world and the species in it, including ourselves, homo sapiens.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, we observe patterns and give them meaning, but some patterns are true and some aren't. For instance, for 200,000 years we observed the Sun moving across the sky, and the meaning we gave this observation was that the Sun goes round the Earth.
In the same way, for 200,000 years we observed patterns in nature and gave them meanings. The predominent meaning we gave the patterns of nature was Animism. We knew no better tnan to ascribe agency to inanimate matter.

And we personified the agency we thought we saw in nature. And so we explained nature in terms of the supernatural, and supernatural agents such as God.

[snip]

That's not meaning, that's just more fact. That's like saying that 1+1 means 2. Meaning is where fact intersects conciousness. Apollo still lives, although we may not personify him anymore. If he's been depreciated, it's by the electric lightbulb. Technology has its own gods and rituals.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have discovered there is no way back. I have discovered there is no way home. Once I have left home, I can't find my way back.
You can return to the place, but not to the time. You - like all of us - grow up.

Little_Sticks

However in the Enlightenment in the West in the 17th and 18th Centuries, we discovered the scientific method. And so we started to look for empirical evidence of the supernatural, but found none.

And so today in societies based on the Enlighenment, the only way we can believe in the supernatural is through blind faith.

And today, because the supernaturalists have no intellectual integrity, they became hysterical and elevate faith to a virtue in itself.

In fact the supernaturalists are in mourning for their God who died in the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries.

All except the Islamists who have never experienced the Enlightenment and who naively believe Allah created the world and the species in it, including ourselves, homo sapiens.

I really think I get what you're saying. It's just that these scientific methods as you call them are still a layer of perception on reality.

For instance, if I hold an object and look at it, how am I understanding that object? I see it through the instrument of my eyes that interprets through what we understand as light. My brain also has to intercept that in some physical form and send me a greater message of relating what I'm seeing.

Basically, we are limited from understanding reality fully, because we are fully apart of it, because we perceive it. But without perceiving it, reality is also meaningless. It holds no form. We could look closely at an object and see that what we thought was a 3-dimensional cube turns out to have smaller parts that all have rotating/flowing parts with their own energies. If you think about what that implies, what is that object? From a smaller perspective, it is something else, and yet smaller something else. Then what is it really? To appreciate this is to understand it has no true objective form. Because even if a God created it, that God would also have to perceive to exist and it wouldn't be capable of fully comprehending what it is then (hence it logically has no objective form).

But yet we exist. God is an absurdity, but so is existence, and yet we exist - proof in itself. Everything we understand is an acceptance of faith, even if we don't quite fully understand that or care too. Engineering is about probability and maximizing that probability for accuracy of faith and mistakenly gives the illusion of inherent truth or fact. But it's okay if people don't realize this, since that's still the point. ;P

IMO, once someone understands that, the Jungian functions in their complete mathematical representation start making a lot of sense by conveying each of our own subjective experiences. And the ridiculous relationships people claim about the functions cloud this; the NTs that believe thinking is about being objective will never understand Jung. That's just not what it all is about.

Some people even have come up with the idea that light is part of the energy that all things give off during the flow of time, hence that time is directly related to light and why we may not be able to go faster than light. I doubt that will always be true, but it's interesting. Maybe one day we will even be able to find a complete connection between light and magnetism with great accuracy of perception.

There are so many interesting ideas in physics that are yet to be explored.

Anyway, I'm sure you get the point.

Mole

Permabanned
the Nazis had 'reason'. So it's not the end of knowledge...

The Nazis were deeply influenced by the New Age. Carl Jung, a New Age guru, freely and openly supported the Nazis.

MBTI itself is part of the New Age, and MBTI was plaigerised from Carl Jung.

Mole

Permabanned
I really think I get what you're saying. It's just that these scientific methods as you call them are still a layer of perception on reality.

For instance, if I hold an object and look at it, how am I understanding that object? I see it through the instrument of my eyes that interprets through what we understand as light. My brain also has to intercept that in some physical form and send me a greater message of relating what I'm seeing.

Basically, we are limited from understanding reality fully, because we are fully apart of it, because we perceive it. But without perceiving it, reality is also meaningless. It holds no form. We could look closely at an object and see that what we thought was a 3-dimensional cube turns out to have smaller parts that all have rotating/flowing parts with their own energies. If you think about what that implies, what is that object? From a smaller perspective, it is something else, and yet smaller something else. Then what is it really? To appreciate this is to understand it has no true objective form. Because even if a God created it, that God would also have to perceive to exist and it wouldn't be capable of fully comprehending what it is then (hence it logically has no objective form).

But yet we exist. God is an absurdity, but so is existence, and yet we exist - proof in itself. Everything we understand is an acceptance of faith, even if we don't quite fully understand that or care too. Engineering is about probability and maximizing that probability for accuracy of faith and mistakenly gives the illusion of inherent truth or fact. But it's okay if people don't realize this, since that's still the point. ;P

IMO, once someone understands that, the Jungian functions in their complete mathematical representation start making a lot of sense by conveying each of our own subjective experiences. And the ridiculous relationships people claim about the functions cloud this; the NTs that believe thinking is about being objective will never understand Jung. That's just not what it all is about.

Some people even have come up with the idea that light is part of the energy that all things give off during the flow of time, hence that time is directly related to light and why we may not be able to go faster than light. I doubt that will always be true, but it's interesting. Maybe one day we will even be able to find a complete connection between light and magnetism with great accuracy of perception.

There are so many interesting ideas in physics that are yet to be explored.

Anyway, I'm sure you get the point.

We perceive by making distinctions and if we don't make clear distinctions, such as the distinction between fact and faith, we don't see clearly.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
We perceive by making distinctions and if we don't make clear distinctions, such as the distinction between fact and faith, we don't see clearly.

But how do we form a demarcation between fact and faith?

And if everyone has faith there is no way to distinguish between those with faith and those without. And so the statement, everyone has faith, is indistinguishable from, no one has faith.

So to say, everyone has faith is the same as saying, no one has faith.

Yes, the Tu-quoque argument that I was leading into.

So what is the solution Dear Victor? :D

Mole

Permabanned
But how do we form a demarcation between fact and faith?

Yes, the Tu-quoque argument that I was leading into.

So what is the solution Dear Victor? :D

Depends where we start from. If you accept my premise that we perceive by making distinctions, then we can see.

But I can imagine you questioning me further, and asking how can we make distinctions, and indeed how do distinctions make perceptions possible?

In the first case we are physiologically set up to only respond to distinctions. So you are right in that we don't directly perceive the world.

In the second case I refer you to a lovely little book of mathematics called, "The Laws of Form", by George Spencer Brown. In it, his premise is that all of mathematics is based on the injunction, "Make a distinction", and then he goes on to show this is the case.

This is as far as I have got. Perhaps you would like to take it further.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Depends where we start from. If you accept my premise that we perceive by making distinctions, then we can see.

We certainly communicate by making distinctions, but I'm not sure about applying that to perception as a whole. We are certainly limited in the respect that we can only observe and experience a particular part of reality and I guess in this sense distinctions can be made.

I wonder though, do we trap ourselves by limiting our thought and perceptions on what we can ultimately communicate (both with ourselves and others)?

Formal decision making certainly relies on these distinctions.

In the second case I refer you to a lovely little book of mathematics called, "The Laws of Form", by George Spencer Brown. In it, his premise is that all of mathematics is based on the injunction, "Make a distinction", and then he goes on to show this is the case.

But mathematics isn't really analogous as formal systems only have tautological truths and distinctions. These truths might be difficult for a human to prove or even guess, but they are still truths by definition.

But we don't know the rules of our reality, so how do we know the rules that we have discovered are actually true? This has been long sought in the field of epistemology and you probably are familiar with the story of the logical positivists.

The error lies in making the distinctions. If we were able to perceive the whole, then there would be no need to make demarcations.

But if we are to make these distinctions, how are we to do so consistently, how do we know for sure (in more sophisticated examples) that certain things are actually distinct?

Leave it to the individual? Philosophers/Scientists/"experts"? Democracy? Assume that these demarcations don't really exist? Or assume they exist, but...