User Tag List

12311 Last

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Default what is the psychology of conservatives and liberals?

is Empathy the deciding factor between the 2? I wonder what would be considered the average for empathy within and between both parties.

I noticed liberals tend to emphasis values, like protecting people and things like reciprocity.
    conservatives not so much or to the extent of liberals.
    Last edited by jcloudz; 09-05-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

It's not that one emphasizes values less than the other, its that they tend to emphasize different values.

I don't think it has anything to do with empathy. In general, judging types are usually conservative and perceiving types are usually liberal. To say that liberals are more empathetic than conservatives would mean that perceiving types are more empathetic than judging types, and I really doubt that's the case. One is not more empathetic than the other. There's no difference between the two parties in terms of empathy, they simply differ in the way they apply it. E.g. Liberals emphasize values and reform, while conservatives emphasize lower taxes. Both are trying to improve conditions for people, they just go about it in different ways.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with empathy. In general, judging types are usually conservative and perceiving types are usually liberal. To say that liberals are more empathetic than conservatives would mean that perceiving types are more empathetic than judging types, and I really doubt that's the case. One is not more empathetic than the other. There's no difference between the two parties in terms of empathy, they simply differ in the way they apply it. E.g. Liberals emphasize values and reform, while conservatives emphasize lower taxes. Both are trying to improve conditions for people, they just go about it in different ways.
    i don't think that's true, i think nfp's would lean most liberal and stj's the most conservative but there are a lot of exceptions and i've known lots of liberal p's and conservative j's.

Banned

Liberals are pussies who can't get it into their heads when and where to draw the line. Conservatives are douchebags bound by idiotic outdated standards.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

I think there are special cases when lowering taxes is more of a must then a humanitarian effort. its hard seeing your point

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    I think there are special cases when lowering taxes is more of a must then a humanitarian effort. its hard seeing your point
    Yeah, you've got a point there.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    Liberals are pussies who can't get it into their heads when and where to draw the line. Conservatives are douchebags bound by idiotic outdated standards.
    short, sweet and to the point. this is why I love INTJs
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

yes but no real response the the question I asked.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

E.g. Liberals emphasize values and reform, while conservatives emphasize lower taxes. Both are trying to improve conditions for people, they just go about it in different ways.
    No. Conservatives aren't just about lowering taxes, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Conservatives care more about maintaining the established institutions and societal roles and emphasize hierarchy. A good deal of them are obsessed with tradition, keeping traditional values (they are often rigid Christians who take the Bible more literally), and like the idea of people being more suitable than others to make decisions. I'd say it's an SJ thing.

Liberals, on the other hand, are more about making sure everyone has equal rights, people aren't unfairly mistreated, giving people more rights, and are more focused on making sure no one is dominating the social sphere (although supposed liberal politicians are hypocritical of this). They value individual rights, equality, open-mindedness (at least a true liberal, anyway), and individuality. I'd say it's an Fi or Ne (or a combination of the two) thing.

EDIT: Whoops, I noticed a mistake I made. I said liberals are more about making sure "...people are unfairly mistreated". I meant to say that they are more about making sure people AREN'T unfairly mistreated. Sorry about that. It's correct now.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥